Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New MGW shifter installed today

Search this Thread

Old 3/9/14, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New MGW shifter installed today

I installed my new MGW shifter today. This is one of the new 2014 revisions that uses the stock shifter boot. Overall, it took me about 3 hours, watching the video while I was installing it. Installed it using ramps and the biggest issue that I had was that I had problems squeezing myself under the car. I really need to go on a diet . Even the dreaded shifter boot went on with almost no problem, just take your time and work around the boot and make sure it is seated flat.

I only had a short drive after the install, but I am liking it already. It is a bit stiffer than the stock shifter, but there is no problem going through the gears. Second to third is now a non-issue. I still feel some notchiness but my tranny was still cold. I am going to let everything settle in and see where it goes from there. Otherwise I am extremely happy as the shifter was one of my only complaints about my GT.
Old 3/9/14, 08:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by joseph07081
I installed my new MGW shifter today. This is one of the new 2014 revisions that uses the stock shifter boot. Overall, it took me about 3 hours, watching the video while I was installing it. Installed it using ramps and the biggest issue that I had was that I had problems squeezing myself under the car. I really need to go on a diet . Even the dreaded shifter boot went on with almost no problem, just take your time and work around the boot and make sure it is seated flat.

I only had a short drive after the install, but I am liking it already. It is a bit stiffer than the stock shifter, but there is no problem going through the gears. Second to third is now a non-issue. I still feel some notchiness but my tranny was still cold. I am going to let everything settle in and see where it goes from there. Otherwise I am extremely happy as the shifter was one of my only complaints about my GT.
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. How is the 4 to 5 shift. I have more issues there than 2 to 3. (Especially wot)..
Old 3/9/14, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Sweet! Glad it's working out for everyone. I'm eagerly awaiting my MGW. Hopefully it ships soon.
Old 3/9/14, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by pminri
I'm almost ready to pull the trigger. How is the 4 to 5 shift. I have more issues there than 2 to 3. (Especially wot)..
The 4 to 5 shift is smooth, but since the shifter spring loaded toward the 3 and 4 gates, you need to apply pressure toward the right on the 4 to 5 shift and it will drop right in. If you watch the MGW install video, at the very end he demonstrates how the shifter works.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 3/9/14, 09:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Thx for the info. Ill have to watch it again. I wish I could try one before buying.
Old 3/9/14, 10:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is on a UPS truck somewhere between GA and AZ...And isn't scheduled for delivery until Thursday... So impatient!!!!
Old 3/10/14, 01:39 PM
V6 Member

Installed it using ramps and the biggest issue that I had was that I had problems squeezing myself under the car. I really need to go on a diet .
Ugh... I know the feeling! Tried to get my barton shift bracket in on ramps, but it didn't work. Towards the front or rear of the car is no issue, but that close to the middle just doesn't get up high enough. I need to convince myself it will help with better 1/4 mile times =)
Old 3/10/14, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by cjd82187
Ugh... I know the feeling! Tried to get my barton shift bracket in on ramps, but it didn't work. Towards the front or rear of the car is no issue, but that close to the middle just doesn't get up high enough. I need to convince myself it will help with better 1/4 mile times =)
Thats a good motivator for me....

I had the car out today and I am really happy with this shifter. The shifts are sure and positive, though I have not really done any really HARD shifting.

That will come later
Old 3/10/14, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Well, went and had my taxes done today. Uncle Sam took a bite out of me so my shifter upgrade will have to wait. :-(. Bummer!!!
Old 3/11/14, 09:42 AM
GT Member

My MGW is sitting in the box in my den just waiting for the salt to be gone so I can take the car to my dad's for install since he has a lift.
Old 3/11/14, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered the MGW yesterday. Finally pulled the trigger!
Old 3/11/14, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by pressman43
My MGW is sitting in the box in my den just waiting for the salt to be gone so I can take the car to my dad's for install since he has a lift.
A lift is DEFINITELY a bonus.... I still have bruises on my chest from squeezing under my car..... as I said before, I really have to lose some weight.

Honestly, with a lift it will be a piece of cake.
Old 3/11/14, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Last1
I just ordered the MGW yesterday. Finally pulled the trigger!
Cool, you will like it....

Since the weather has been so nice, I was able to get mine out and about. Now it is at the body shop having the Roush hood scoop painted and installed. My shocks/struts and springs are ordered and I just need to get my lower control arms and pan hard bar ordered and I will be ready to go.
Old 3/14/14, 12:10 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Jack stands make it easier...the hardest part I had was squeezing my fat hands around the driveshaft and getting the bolts started on the box and heat shield. And hard shifts will not be a problem...this is my favorite upgrade so far
Old 3/14/14, 04:15 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
A lift is DEFINITELY a bonus.... I still have bruises on my chest from squeezing under my car..... as I said before, I really have to lose some weight. Honestly, with a lift it will be a piece of cake.
Congrats! Welcome to the MGW family. I live threads like this: the ones that state that they bought the MGW, installed it, tried it, and loved it, and realized they should have done it sooner and what a pos the oem shifter was . That usually ends up being the cascading process.

Also, don't beat yourself up about losing weight... Your install experience just meant you had to get taller ramps or jack the car up higher
Old 3/15/14, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Congrats! Welcome to the MGW family. I live threads like this: the ones that state that they bought the MGW, installed it, tried it, and loved it, and realized they should have done it sooner and what a pos the oem shifter was . That usually ends up being the cascading process.

Also, don't beat yourself up about losing weight... Your install experience just meant you had to get taller ramps or jack the car up higher
I am actually not beating myself up too much about the weight.... but when I ordered my ramps I remember thinking that perhaps I should go with the taller ramps, for some reason I didn't

Hindsight is always 20/20.

Yes this is a great upgrade !
Old 3/15/14, 10:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Congrats! Welcome to the MGW family. I live threads like this: the ones that state that they bought the MGW, installed it, tried it, and loved it, and realized they should have done it sooner and what a pos the oem shifter was . That usually ends up being the cascading process. Also, don't beat yourself up about losing weight... Your install experience just meant you had to get taller ramps or jack the car up higher
I'm spoiled. My 03 is my first manual transmission car, and it had a T56 installed with the MGW, so I don't know any better (or worse)