Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Ford Performance oil separator.

Search this Thread

Old 3/27/16, 08:00 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,965 Likes on 1,590 Posts
If anyone's interested, I just located the PDF instructions from Ford Performance Parts for their Mustang GT350 oil separator.. The link is included below and hope it works..

FordInstShtM-6766-A50S.pdf

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/27/16 at 08:12 PM.
Old 3/28/16, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by samjluck
Good Luck
Thank you for the answers to my questions.

As far as draining these separators, Ford Racing recommends removing the separator from the lines and pouring the oil out of the lower intake barb on the separator.

I will say that when I took mine off recently to see how much oil I had in 300 miles, I did pour the oil out through the lower intake barb and it was pretty easy. I had the lid off of mine and some of the oil went around the intake barb and wanted to pour out where the lid would be. If the lid was on, the oil would then collect on the screen in that corner and I'm not sure that would be good or not.

Wayne
Old 3/28/16, 09:35 PM

Well the differences between the Bob's catch can and the other catch cans tested is this.. The Bob's can doesn't require adding any modifications when it comes to preventing liquid vapor oil from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

One of the other catch cans on the other hand, required adding additional filter mesh in the bottom of the can before it was able to be as effective as the Bob's can..

There were also issues posted by the OP with oil leaking from the connector fittings in which the OP had to apply teflon tape to the fittings to stop the oil from leaking by the same catch can that required adding additional filter media in order to perform as well as the Bob's can..

Most of all, the Bob's can includes a bottom drain valve lever for simple and easy draining..

As for the new Ford Racing separator goes, Ford Performance requires disconnecting the canister, then tilting it on it's side and drain it from the lower barb tube..

I am not convinced with this method, as there's concern that oil can make it's way through the edges/upper corners and into the upper portion of the canister..

However what we do know is this.. The Bob's can has proven just how effective it really works for preventing crankcase vapor oils from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

Therefore until this new Ford Performance Separator has been proven to outperform the the Bob's oil separator, I'll just stick with what has been proven to work time and time again !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/28/16 at 10:59 PM.
Old 3/28/16, 09:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Whoops, I didn't refresh the thread and posted a bunch of info already said.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
FordInstShtM-6766-A50.pdf (513.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: pdf
FordInstShtM-6766-A50.pdf (513.5 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/28/16 at 09:58 PM.
Old 3/28/16, 10:04 PM

You also posted the same PDF link as I already have in this thread lol.

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/28/16 at 10:47 PM.
Old 3/28/16, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
You also posted the same PDF link as I already have in this thread lol.
Twice, I couldn't figure out how to delete it.
Old 3/29/16, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
Twice, I couldn't figure out how to delete it.
I was just kidding
Old 3/29/16, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well the differences between the Bob's catch can and the other catch cans tested is this.. The Bob's can doesn't require adding any modifications when it comes to preventing liquid vapor oil from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

One of the other catch cans on the other hand, required adding additional filter mesh in the bottom of the can before it was able to be as effective as the Bob's can..

There were also issues posted by the OP with oil leaking from the connector fittings in which the OP had to apply teflon tape to the fittings to stop the oil from leaking by the same catch can that required adding additional filter media in order to perform as well as the Bob's can..

Most of all, the Bob's can includes a bottom drain valve lever for simple and easy draining..

As for the new Ford Racing separator goes, Ford Performance requires disconnecting the canister, then tilting it on it's side and drain it from the lower barb tube..

I am not convinced with this method, as there's concern that oil can make it's way through the edges/upper corners and into the upper portion of the canister..

However what we do know is this.. The Bob's can has proven just how effective it really works for preventing crankcase vapor oils from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

Therefore until this new Ford Performance Separator has been proven to outperform the the Bob's oil separator, I'll just stick with what has been proven to work time and time again !

Jesus, do you work for Bob's? The title of the thread was "Ford Oil Separator".. can you keep on-track about what the title is and not your opinions comparing the two? people coming here want to know about the FORD separator. Comparing the 2 is like saying what water quenches your thirst better. They both work and lets just leave it at that.
Old 3/29/16, 02:46 PM

Jesus, do you work for Bob's? The title of the thread was "Ford Oil Separator".. can you keep on-track about what the title is and not your opinions comparing the two? people coming here want to know about the FORD separator. Comparing the 2 is like saying what water quenches your thirst better. They both work and lets just leave it at that.
First of all, I was stating facts not opinion regarding catch cans in which the OP did side by side comparisons long before the "Ford Oil Separator" ever existed.. As for comparing the Bob's with the Ford goes, yeah at the end I stated my concerns/opinions about the differences between draining the Bob's can is over the Ford product..

And FYI.. When it comes to purchasing a product that I may be interested in ? part of the feedback/research process is getting answers, opinions from others along with making comparisons with similar products before making a purchasing decision..

Therefore I'll post whatever opinions, concerns and comparisons I d@mn well please and if that isn't acceptable enough for you ?
You have one of two options.. Don't read my posts, or just select the ignore button

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/29/16 at 02:57 PM.
Old 3/29/16, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First of all, I was stating facts not opinion regarding catch cans in which the OP did side by side comparisons long before the "Ford Oil Separator" ever existed.. As for comparing the Bob's with the Ford goes, yeah at the end I stated my concerns/opinions about the differences between draining the Bob's can is over the Ford product..

And FYI.. When it comes to purchasing a product that I may be interested in ? part of the feedback process is getting answers, opinions from others along with making comparisons with similar products before making a purchasing decision..

Therefore I'll post whatever opinions, concerns and comparisons I d@mn well please and if that isn't acceptable enough for you ?
You have one of two options.. Don't read my posts, or just select the ignore button :doh:

21 posts in a 4 page thread on FORD separators, yet finds my thought displeasing... I was unaware that we were in the presence of the oil separator guru.... you are the reason adults refuse to post typically. good luck with your career with Bob's and the oil/air separation world.
Old 3/29/16, 04:48 PM

21 posts in a 4 page thread on FORD separators, yet finds my thought displeasing... I was unaware that we were in the presence of the oil separator guru.... you are the reason adults refuse to post typically. good luck with your career with Bob's and the oil/air separation world.
Just as I'm in the presence of someone who claims to know what other people are thinking And just for the record, you're the only one who seems to have an issue regarding my posts in this thread, despite the fact that you don't know a d@mn thing about me to begin with.. So just who in the hell are you to judge me, let alone speak for everybody else on this forum when it concerns my posts..

FYI.. In the nearly 10 years I've been a member on this forum, those who know me best know that I do my very best to provide feedback and support when addressing their concerns/questions in both a positive and compassionate manner and would therefore never attempt to claim to be some expert or guru that you falsely accused me of with your Dr. Phil fanboy analysis, but rather just the opposite..

However when it comes to products that I am interested in, I obtain my knowledge by doing research from those who provide feedback and support that have first hand experience and knowledge about them before I consider making a purchase..

As for the Bob's can is concerned.. No I don't work for them and the reason I purchased the product was due from the knowledge I obtained from the OP who started this thread from the very beginning and is also a very satisfied Bob's customer as well..

It was through his knowledge, his feedback from some of his other threads and first hand experience with the product that convinced me to make a purchase to begin with and since then I've been able to share with others through my own experience that the Bob's can does indeed work as advertised.. So if you want to take my passion for the product by twisting it around with your false accusations of working for them lol. Then so be it, as I'd be proud to work for a company that stands 100% behind their products and for their customers..

The bottom line is this.. I'm just a classic car and Mustang enthusiast who enjoys sharing his passion with those who also share the very same passion and nothing more..

Therefore once again, if you find my posts as so displeasing and offensive ? Either click the ignore button or just don't read them at all.. It's just as simple as that !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/31/16 at 01:44 PM.
Old 3/29/16, 05:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

I didn't start this thread to be a comparison to any other oil separator but just to let others know that there was again another option out there and one that I assumed was designed and tested by Ford Racing. I'm not sure if they actually make it.

It is inevitable that comparisons will be made to other products on the market and people will have to decide if buying something new is better than what they currently run.

Oil separators have become kind of a Hobby of mine and is why you see me on this forum and some others trying out different ones.

Wayne
Old 3/30/16, 10:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Got mine today. Anyone else's come in a Ziploc bag?
Attached Thumbnails New Ford Performance oil separator.-photo644.jpg  
Old 3/31/16, 06:26 AM
Gt 5.0 Tms Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
^^haha, guess whoever packaged that figured they would use the bag they used for their PB&J sandwich.
Old 3/31/16, 11:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mine also came in a Ziploc bag.
Old 3/31/16, 04:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Mine did as well.
Old 3/31/16, 05:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

I don't think this has been covered here so I'll just throw this out there.

I put this on last night. The instructions make it look ridiculously simple, which it basically is in the grand scheme. But, there's a gotcha.

I could not reach the far end of the upper hose (that goes into the intake) without removing the engine cover. But, I couldn't remove the engine cover without removing the strut tower brace.

So that's no problem, I take those off and the preformed hoses and push pins go on no problem. I start putting it back together.

Once I put it back together, I realize that the body of the oil separator needs to be free in order to tilt it as instructed for emptying the separator.

The good news is you don't need to reach all the way to the intake to disconnect the separator to tilt it. The hose connectors on the separator body are easily accessible.

But, those push pins need to be pulled out in order to tilt the separator. And the upper one is pretty hard to get to with the engine cover in place. So now I'm starting to get annoyed with my purchase because I'm worried that the separator can't be emptied without removing the STB.

Where I landed was if you just pull up the front part of the engine cover, you can reach the top pin to pull it, pull the other pin and the hoses, and tilt the can.

Anyone else have a similar finding or a different experience?

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/31/16 at 08:43 PM.
Old 4/1/16, 01:38 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I don't think this has been covered here so I'll just throw this out there.

I put this on last night. The instructions make it look ridiculously simple, which it basically is in the grand scheme. But, there's a gotcha.

I could not reach the far end of the upper hose (that goes into the intake) without removing the engine cover. But, I couldn't remove the engine cover without removing the strut tower brace.

So that's no problem, I take those off and the preformed hoses and push pins go on no problem. I start putting it back together.

Once I put it back together, I realize that the body of the oil separator needs to be free in order to tilt it as instructed for emptying the separator.

The good news is you don't need to reach all the way to the intake to disconnect the separator to tilt it. The hose connectors on the separator body are easily accessible.

But, those push pins need to be pulled out in order to tilt the separator. And the upper one is pretty hard to get to with the engine cover in place. So now I'm starting to get annoyed with my purchase because I'm worried that the separator can't be emptied without removing the STB.

Where I landed was if you just pull up the front part of the engine cover, you can reach the top pin to pull it, pull the other pin and the hoses, and tilt the can.

Anyone else have a similar finding or a different experience?
That is how I do it to remove the separator because I also have a STB. I just pull up on the front of the engine cover so I can get the top pin out and either remove the line from the separator or remove it from the intake. I can reach my hand all the way inside to get to the fitting at the intake. I have a pair of push pin pliers which make removing the pins easy.

Wayne
Old 4/1/16, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

I received my driver's side Ford Racing separator today and installed it. I did not do any modifications to mine like Samjluck did to his as I found that the separator seemed to stay where it's at with no movement. The lines are pretty rigid and since the separator is pretty light since it's plastic and this can will probably not catch any liquid oil, I don't think the weight of the separator is going to stress the lines or the barbs coming off of the separator. I wanted to keep my separator intact in case I want to sell it in the future.

Here are some pictures of the install.
New Ford Performance oil separator.-001_zpsqorxqiv3.jpg
New Ford Performance oil separator.-004_zpskxz9id7w.jpg
New Ford Performance oil separator.-003_zpshqkhfx6f.jpg
New Ford Performance oil separator.-002_zpsc5tqxkbz.jpg

The install was very easy but I did have to play around with the line going from the separator to the intake tube to get it in the right position.

Wayne
Old 4/5/16, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 70monte
I didn't start this thread to be a comparison to any other oil separator but just to let others know that there was again another option out there and one that I assumed was designed and tested by Ford Racing. I'm not sure if they actually make it.

It is inevitable that comparisons will be made to other products on the market and people will have to decide if buying something new is better than what they currently run.

Oil separators have become kind of a Hobby of mine and is why you see me on this forum and some others trying out different ones.

Wayne
First of all.. I never intended to hijack your thread and the reason for my posts was that I had an interest in the possibility of purchasing the Ford Performance oil separator.. However after reading over some of the posts concerning the filter design and procedure for draining I began having doubts about wanting to make a purchase as I was concerned and still am regarding just how effective this new separator will work in keeping crankcase oil liquid from getting past the PCV connector barb at the upper intake..

Therefore it's only inevitable that comparisons are going to be made to other products on the market as to whether or not they're going to work either just as well or any better than what folks already have, especially when the product in question hasn't been on the market for very long nor has enough feedback/results to rely on at present..

At any rate, my only purpose for posting on your thread was that I had an interest in the Ford performance separator and not to hijack or start up a thread war..

But make no mistake about it, when it comes to someone who resorts to posting both negative and disrespectful remarks towards my posts just because they don't happen to agree with them, I will do whatever is necessary to defend my opinions and views against any type of personal attack and especially from those who don't have the ability to conduct themselves in a respectful and adult manner when it concerns having debates over a particular topic !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 4/5/16 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: New Ford Performance oil separator.