Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Ford Performance oil separator.

Old 3/4/16, 09:19 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,954 Likes on 1,583 Posts
The Bob's can is also easy to drain with it's bottom drain valve.. Where with Ford can, you have to practically uninstall it just in order to drain it..

In the meantime, I'll also be looking forward in reading Wayne's review as well..

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/4/16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 3/7/16, 03:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Still have a hard time seeing why these are needed unless you are doing serious mods to your motor. I'm at 94,000 miles, burning little to no oil between changes and still getting power and fuel mileage like when it was new. No oil separator here.
Old 3/8/16, 04:05 AM

The purpose of an oil separator, is to prevent crankcase oil vapors a.k.a blow by from getting past the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber..

When adding superchargers or turbos, this increases cylinder pressure which result in producing excessive amounts of crankcase oil that wind up getting pushed through the rings/valve seals into the upper intake manifold and combustion chamber via the OEM's closed PCV system..

With most N/A applications, the factory PCV system is designed to vent the crankcase through the intake manifold's vacuum port which evacuates the CC oil vapors into the upper intake to be burned off before ever having the chance to enter the combustion chamber ..

Therefore under normal cylinder pressures, there usually isn't anything to be concerned about, as small amounts of crankcase vapor oil are normal and won't enter the combustion chamber anyhow, as once again, the oil vapors end up getting burned off..

However when the amount of crankcase oil becomes excessive, it will get past the intake manifold and into the supercharger's internals/intercooler and finally into the combustion chamber itself..

Not only will this result in significantly reducing the supercharger's life for which you invested $5000.00+ of your hard earned money on, but also shorten your engine's lifespan in the process as well ..

With that being said, the purpose of an oil separator has nothing to do with oil consumption/oil burning whatsoever, but rather prevent contaminated crankcase residue from entering the combustion chamber, thus prolonging engine life !

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/9/16 at 04:20 PM.
Old 3/10/16, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually, any aftermarket tune pretty much requires one. I'm running the Ford Racing Trackey, which is about the tamest tune. I have incredible pinging from the fumes coming off PCV. So, you don't need FI and you don't need major mods. And it isn't all about cleanliness. It's also about actually getting the correct octane from the fuel by not diluting it with oil vapors.
Old 3/10/16, 07:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by jd864
Actually, any aftermarket tune pretty much requires one. I'm running the Ford Racing Trackey, which is about the tamest tune. I have incredible pinging from the fumes coming off PCV. So, you don't need FI and you don't need major mods. And it isn't all about cleanliness. It's also about actually getting the correct octane from the fuel by not diluting it with oil vapors.
Did you get an oil separator, and did it fix the problem?
Old 3/10/16, 10:29 PM

Prior to upgrading to my current 06 GT.. I started out with a 2005 GT which for the most part was completely bone stock.. I then added a Steeda CAI with Doug's 93 octane race tune (bamachips) During the 7 years of running the bamachip's tune, I never encountered any crankcase vapor oil from the PCV connectors at the upper intake manifold whatsoever, as my car ran perfectly fine with no pinging issues..
Old 3/11/16, 12:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
Prior to upgrading to my current 06 GT.. I started out with a 2005 GT which for the most part was completely bone stock.. I then added a Steeda CAI with Doug's 93 octane race tune (bamachips) During the 7 years of running the bamachip's tune, I never encountered any crankcase vapor oil from the PCV connectors at the upper intake manifold whatsoever, as my car ran perfectly fine with no pinging issues..
I am a TracKey owner as well... I suppose I should check the PCV connectors.

The TracKey is a little unique because of the lopey idle and engine braking tuning, not so much because of the performance tune. Deceleration produces a lot of popping from the exhaust which can be unnerving and makes me want a separator. Also because Ford recommends it and because I can only get 91 here.

Last edited by berzerk_1980; 3/11/16 at 04:38 PM.
Old 3/11/16, 11:24 AM

I have ordered the Ford Racing separator, but it has not yet arrived. I would not have believed I needed one either, but it's pretty bad over 4K with a hot engine. Noticeably better with fresh oil, and gets worse through the change period. I may switch from Motorcraft 5-20 to Redline full synthetic after receiving the separator. I'm really not building a racecar, but apparently the Trackey tune puts lots of timing in. Can't speak to the 2005 mentioned above. Reading on the forums, most (not all) 5.0's with a tune need it to take full advantage.
Old 3/11/16, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I am a TracKey owner as well... I spouse I should check the PCV connectors.

The TracKey is a little unique because of the lopey idle and engine braking tuning, not so much because of the performance tune. Deceleration produces a lot of popping from the exhaust which can be unnerving and makes me want a separator. Also because Ford recommends it and because I can only get 91 here.
I'm not really familiar with the Coyote's TracKey tune.. All I know is before Doug sold (bamachips) to AM.. His race tunes were pretty aggressive over the stock calibration and as I mentioned earlier, I never ran across any crankcase oil vapors from the PCV connectors at the upper intake..

Perhaps the TracKey tune is more technically advanced and aggressive compared to the old 4.6 3 valves..

At any rate, I would most definitely check your PCV connectors at the upper intake between oil changes and would also add an oil separator for added insurance protection as well..
Old 3/11/16, 01:18 PM

I have ordered the Ford Racing separator, but it has not yet arrived. I would not have believed I needed one either, but it's pretty bad over 4K with a hot engine. Noticeably better with fresh oil, and gets worse through the change period. I may switch from Motorcraft 5-20 to Redline full synthetic after receiving the separator. I'm really not building a racecar, but apparently the Trackey tune puts lots of timing in. Can't speak to the 2005 mentioned above. Reading on the forums, most (not all) 5.0's with a tune need it to take full advantage.
Just as I mentioned to Berzerk_1980, I'm not very familiar with the Coyote's TracKey tune.. Therefore if it does indeed pull a lot of timing ? Then I would definitely recommend adding an oil separator and also make certain to check your PCV connector barbs at the upper intake between every oil change as well..
Old 3/12/16, 11:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crjackson2134
I really like the look and simplicity of the Ford can, but I also love the "reported" effectiveness of the Bob's can. Since I have neither at the moment, I lean towards the Ford model for simplicity of install and integrated looks.

Can't wait for Wayne to review the Ford can's performance.
I finally opened my Ford Performance separator up the other day after about 300 miles and I had about 2mm of oil in it. I did have a slight film of oil in the connectors after the can but it was about the same as what I see with the Bob's can. It wasn't that much though since it barely stained a new Q-tip that I ran inside both connectors.

I did make a small modification to the Ford separator since I had it open. I installed a stainless steel Scotch Brite scrubbing pad inside the holding chamber and molded it to fit inside to where it covers the inlet hole.

This setup is just like how the Bob's can is set up. The Ford's screen is finer than the Bob's perforated round diffuser so I'm curious if this modification will stop the oil film that I currently find. I'm going to run it about 500 miles and check my lines again.

Wayne
Old 3/12/16, 12:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I finally opened my Ford Performance separator up the other day after about 300 miles and I had about 2mm of oil in it. I did have a slight film of oil in the connectors after the can but it was about the same as what I see with the Bob's can. It wasn't that much though since it barely stained a new Q-tip that I ran inside both connectors.

I did make a small modification to the Ford separator since I had it open. I installed a stainless steel Scotch Brite scrubbing pad inside the holding chamber and molded it to fit inside to where it covers the inlet hole.

This setup is just like how the Bob's can is set up. The Ford's screen is finer than the Bob's perforated round diffuser so I'm curious if this modification will stop the oil film that I currently find. I'm going to run it about 500 miles and check my lines again.

Wayne
I would love to see pictures of your modification. So far, in comparison to the BOB's can, how do you think this one rates.
  1. Not nearly as good.
  2. Nearly as good.
  3. The same.
  4. Better
  5. Way better
Old 3/13/16, 04:52 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by crjackson2134
I would love to see pictures of your modification. So far, in comparison to the BOB's can, how do you think this one rates.
  1. Not nearly as good.
  2. Nearly as good.
  3. The same.
  4. Better
  5. Way better
I forgot to take a picture of my modification. I will take a picture next time I open it up. The scrub pads are round when they come in the package. On the pad I used, I just slightly pulled it apart so that it pretty much filled up the lower chamber and I slightly pulled it up so that it covered the hole where the air comes into the lower chamber. The way I have it installed in there, it doesn't move around.

As far as how does it compare to the Bob's can, it really is too early to tell because I only drove about 300 miles with the Ford can before I checked things. I typically ran the Bob's can around 1,000 miles before checking the amount of oil caught as well as what the exit lines leaving the can looked like. I never checked the Bob's can with only 300 miles on it so I don't know if it showed any signs of oil at that low mileage.

The fact that I don't see liquid oil inside the exit fittings is a good sign so at this point I'm going to say it's probably as good as the Bob's can.

The Bob's can has one advantage and that is the ease of emptying with it's ball valve. The capacity of the Bob's can is about the same as the Ford one. I think the Ford can has one advantage by being built out of plastic because it doesn't seem to get as hot as the Bob's can which a cooler can is supposed to help in the capture of oil.

The Ford can obviously looks more stock so that may be a consideration for some.

I may just run the Ford can for about 1,000 miles instead of the 500 to see what happens.

Wayne
Old 3/13/16, 05:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here is what kind of SS pad I used. http://www.walmart.com/ip/49260103?w...310514&veh=sem

Here is another link discussing this can. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46277

Wayne
Old 3/13/16, 05:18 PM
V6 Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Sounds promising. Get a picture next time you can.
Old 3/15/16, 09:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The purpose of an oil separator, is to prevent crankcase oil vapors a.k.a blow by from getting past the intake manifold and into the combustion chamber..

When adding superchargers or turbos, this increases cylinder pressure which result in producing excessive amounts of crankcase oil that wind up getting pushed through the rings/valve seals into the upper intake manifold and combustion chamber via the OEM's closed PCV system..

With most N/A applications, the factory PCV system is designed to vent the crankcase through the intake manifold's vacuum port which evacuates the CC oil vapors into the upper intake to be burned off before ever having the chance to enter the combustion chamber ..

Therefore under normal cylinder pressures, there usually isn't anything to be concerned about, as small amounts of crankcase vapor oil are normal and won't enter the combustion chamber anyhow, as once again, the oil vapors end up getting burned off..

However when the amount of crankcase oil becomes excessive, it will get past the intake manifold and into the supercharger's internals/intercooler and finally into the combustion chamber itself..

Not only will this result in significantly reducing the supercharger's life for which you invested $5000.00+ of your hard earned money on, but also shorten your engine's lifespan in the process as well ..

With that being said, the purpose of an oil separator has nothing to do with oil consumption/oil burning whatsoever, but rather prevent contaminated crankcase residue from entering the combustion chamber, thus prolonging engine life !
Exactly. Totally see the need with FI or major tuning, but lots of guys on here have bought into the myth that it's needed on stock motors too. That's all I was complaining about.
Old 3/15/16, 02:46 PM

Although they're not really required or necessary for N/A applications, adding an oil separator will most definitely help and also provide added insurance protection without a doubt as well..
Old 3/16/16, 02:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you get an oil separator, and did it fix the problem?
Track Cal (same tune as Track Key) user here, adding the JLT separator did reduce the pinging under acceleration. I was skeptical before, thought these things were snake oil but turns out they actually do something useful.

I am a TracKey owner as well... I suppose I should check the PCV connectors.

Deceleration produces a lot of popping from the exhaust which can be unnerving and makes me want a separator.
An oil separator has nothing to do with the popping under decel, that's probably a side effect of the heavier engine braking in the Track Key/Track Cal tune.
Old 3/18/16, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by 70monte
I just found out that the driver's side Ford Performance can will only work on the 2015-2016 GT350.

I took a chance and ordered the Drivers Side unit (M-6766-A50S), figuring that if I could not make it work I'd sell it unmolested on fleabay.

With a small amount of modification to the unit and one hole drilled in the tab that was for the sound tube stay that I removed, it works and looks acceptable on my 2014.
Attached Thumbnails New Ford Performance oil separator.-img_20160319_104311922_hdr-large-.jpg   New Ford Performance oil separator.-img_20160319_104330057-large-.jpg  

Last edited by samjluck; 3/21/16 at 01:57 PM. Reason: added photos
Old 3/21/16, 03:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by samjluck
I took a chance and ordered the Drivers Side unit (M-6766-A50S), figuring that if I could not make it work I'd sell it unmolested on fleabay.

With a small amount of modification to the unit and one hole drilled in the tab that was for the sound tube stay that I removed, it works and looks acceptable on my 2014.
Could you take a close up picture of how you mounted this and what modification did you have to do to the separator and where you had to drill the hole? I would like to try this on my 14 GT.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Ford Performance oil separator.