Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Ford Performance oil separator.

Search this Thread

Old 3/21/16, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
After looking at your pictures closer and looking under the hood of my car, I understand where you drilled your hole. Did the bracket from the separator reach all of the way to the sound tube stay tab or did you have to add something for it to reach? It's too dark under the strut tower brace to tell.

From what I can now tell, it looks like you cut off the bracket that attached to the CAI. Is that correct?

I took off my tube on the driver's side for the first time since new and did have oil film inside both ends of the tube. I guess it would be beneficial to have a separator on the driver's side even if you don't get any in the can part itself.

Wayne
Old 3/21/16, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You are correct. I extended the plastic to the tab with a 2" piece of steel I had laying around and 2 bolts and nylon safety nuts. the steel I had to make an "S" in it so it fit under the tab snug. And I cut the CAI extension off. the plastic is hard and at the first push with the wires cutters it snapped off. I'd recommend a hack saw if I were it do that again, lol. the last thing is I did wire tie the most front corner to the air box clip. it was pretty solid and most likely did not need it but that tied it down real tight. if I used a black one opposed to white you might not even see it there.

I had oil film in both ends of the factory tube too.
Old 3/21/16, 05:40 PM
THE RED FLASH ------Moderator

Received 1,957 Likes on 1,584 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
After looking at your pictures closer and looking under the hood of my car, I understand where you drilled your hole. Did the bracket from the separator reach all of the way to the sound tube stay tab or did you have to add something for it to reach? It's too dark under the strut tower brace to tell.

From what I can now tell, it looks like you cut off the bracket that attached to the CAI. Is that correct?

I took off my tube on the driver's side for the first time since new and did have oil film inside both ends of the tube. I guess it would be beneficial to have a separator on the driver's side even if you don't get any in the can part itself.

Wayne

The point is.. It shouldn't be necessary to run a second catch can to keep oil film from getting inside both ends of the PCV tube at the intake..

From what you've just described and if I understand correctly.. It seems IMHO the Bob's can still does the best job at preventing oil film vapors from getting past the PCV connectors at the upper intake..

Therefore I don't quite understand how adding a second separator on the driver's side would be beneficial

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/21/16 at 09:57 PM.
Old 3/21/16, 10:54 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I have the Track key and never once had any pining. I also installed the Steeda Oil Separator. I am going to order the Ford Drivers side next.
Old 3/22/16, 04:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by m05fastbackGT
The point is.. It shouldn't be necessary to run a second catch can to keep oil film from getting inside both ends of the PCV tube at the intake..

From what you've just described and if I understand correctly.. It seems IMHO the Bob's can still does the best job at preventing oil film vapors from getting past the PCV connectors at the upper intake..

Therefore I don't quite understand how adding a second separator on the driver's side would be beneficial
I think you might be misunderstanding what we are talking about. We are talking about the hose that goes from the driver's side valve cover and goes into the inlet tube going to the throttle body.

I found signs of oil in this tube but it was only a slight film. Kind of the same thing that I find on the passenger side tube coming out of my oil separator whether it's my Bob's can or this new Ford one.

so far this new Ford one and the Bob's can seem to be on the same level as far as how well they work.

Wayne
Old 3/22/16, 09:27 PM

I think you might be misunderstanding what we are talking about. We are talking about the hose that goes from the driver's side valve cover and goes into the inlet tube going to the throttle body.

I found signs of oil in this tube but it was only a slight film. Kind of the same thing that I find on the passenger side tube coming out of my oil separator whether it's my Bob's can or this new Ford one.

so far this new Ford one and the Bob's can seem to be on the same level as far as how well they work.

Wayne
Oh okay, I did misunderstand.. As I thought you meant the PCV hose from the oil separator into the upper intake.. I keep getting confused that your inlet tube going to the throttle body is on the driver's side, where mine is on the passenger side, due that my GT is a 2006 3 valve 4.6..

In the meantime, I'm glad the new Ford separator is working well for you and on the same level as the Bob's can.. If you can, I would use both separators, one on each side for even more added protection

-Rocky
Old 3/23/16, 04:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

My PVC valve is on the passenger side and my current oil separator is mounted on the passenger side. This is the side that has the most oil going through the system.

On your car, most of the oil is going through the driver's side of the engine because your PCV valve is on that side.

Wayne
Old 3/23/16, 05:04 PM

You're absolutely 100% spot on Wayne..
Old 3/25/16, 05:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

You're absolutely 100% spot on Wayne..
My fiancee has a 07 GT so I'm familiar with both models and engines. She runs a Bob's catch can on her car.

Wayne
Old 3/25/16, 05:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by samjluck
You are correct. I extended the plastic to the tab with a 2" piece of steel I had laying around and 2 bolts and nylon safety nuts. the steel I had to make an "S" in it so it fit under the tab snug. And I cut the CAI extension off. the plastic is hard and at the first push with the wires cutters it snapped off. I'd recommend a hack saw if I were it do that again, lol. the last thing is I did wire tie the most front corner to the air box clip. it was pretty solid and most likely did not need it but that tied it down real tight. if I used a black one opposed to white you might not even see it there.

I had oil film in both ends of the factory tube too.
What is your opinion on just letting the separator just hang by the tubes kind of like JLT does for their passenger side cans?

Could the CAI bracket that you cut off been able to catch on the edge of the CAI box to help hold it up or maybe cut it shorter to catch on the box?

There is a plastic line that runs under the area where the separator is mounted. Does the lower part of the separator touch this line?

I'm going to use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to make any modifications to mine.

Wayne
Old 3/25/16, 06:27 PM

My fiancee has a 07 GT so I'm familiar with both models and engines. She runs a Bob's catch can on her car.

Wayne
I remember and do recall discussing your fiancee's 07 GT about her running the Bob's catch can over on the UPR oil separator threads Wayne

-Rocky
Old 3/26/16, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your opinion on just letting the separator just hang by the tubes kind of like JLT does for their passenger side cans?

THE TUBES ARE NOT RIGID ENOUGH FOR THAT IN MY OPINION. PLUS I DID NOT WANT IT BANGING ON THE VALVE COVER.

Could the CAI bracket that you cut off been able to catch on the edge of the CAI box to help hold it up or maybe cut it shorter to catch on the box?

THE BRACKET I CUT OFF LINED UP WITH NOTHING AND WAS NOT GOING TO TOUCH ANYTHING AND THE REASON I CUT IT OFF.

There is a plastic line that runs under the area where the separator is mounted. Does the lower part of the separator touch this line?

NO.

I'm going to use a dremel tool with a cutoff wheel to make any modifications to mine.

THAT IS A GOOD CHOICE.

Good Luck
Old 3/26/16, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
The install looks Factory. How does it get emptied?
Seems to me like you could just disconnect the inlet/intake side and lift it up slightly and let it drain into the crankcase/valve cover. No muss, no fuss.
Old 3/26/16, 08:04 PM

Are you saying to drain the contaminated oil from the separator back into the valve cover and crankcase ? I really hope that I misread what you just posted
Old 3/26/16, 09:50 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas S
Seems to me like you could just disconnect the inlet/intake side and lift it up slightly and let it drain into the crankcase/valve cover. No muss, no fuss.
Are you saying to drain the contaminated oil from the separator back into the valve cover and crankcase ? I really hope that I misread what you just posted
Well this is interesting.

First, I believe it is drained by disconnecting a hose and going it on its side.

Second, I never thought just to drain it back into the crankcase because every other can just has you discard it. But at first thought, I was thinking, "why not?"

Then I read m05fastbackgt's post about the oil being contaminated. Is it really contaminated, or just partially burned? What harm really would come of mixing it into the "good" oil?
Old 3/27/16, 01:11 AM

Crankcase vapors are not only partially burnt oil/gases, but also contain moisture/condensation.. Therefore crankcase oil is most definitely contaminated and if it's not extracted by the factory PCV system or with breather filters/catch cans, it will reduce your oil's viscosity and shorten the life of your rings, valve seals ect.

As doing so would be no different than putting the same old dirty oil right back into your crankcase after doing an oil change..

With that being said.. There's a reason and purpose for extracting crankcase vapor oil from the crankcase.. Whether it's by the factory PCV system with or without a catch can or by using breathers, they're all designed to protect your engine's internal components from contaminated crankcase oil and prolong engine life in the process..
Old 3/27/16, 05:48 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Well according to the posters in the other thread about this(link in the first post in this thread), that's what this is designed to do. Which makes sense to me since the outlet is on the bottom of the reservoir leading back to the crankcase. The oil is going through a filter. Maybe I'm wrong here and you are right. It would have been nice if Ford had included instructions so we don't have to guess.
Old 3/27/16, 03:01 PM

Well according to the posters in the other thread about this(link in the first post in this thread), that's what this is designed to do. Which makes sense to me since the outlet is on the bottom of the reservoir leading back to the crankcase. The oil is going through a filter. Maybe I'm wrong here and you are right. It would have been nice if Ford had included instructions so we don't have to guess.
Thomas ! I have no idea about the other thread you're referring to, but more than likely you may have just misread what the other posters had mentioned..

Anyway the outlet on the bottom of the reservoir leading back to the crankcase is used for extracting oil from out of the crankcase and into the bottom of the oil separator's canister.. The filter is actually designed to prevent crankcase vapor oil from getting past the inlet line at the upper intake and forces the oil to remain at the bottom of the canister where it belongs..

Therefore crankcase oil does not re-enter the crankcase nor is it ever re-cycled..

And yes, I definitely agree with you about Ford's design and for also not including instructions.. Anyway if your really interested in purchasing their oil separator ? I would definitely recommend calling Ford Racing Parts and have them clarify the design and the best way for draining it as well..

I would also recommend that you submit a PM to 70monte (Wayne) on here as well.. I know that he's running one on his car and has mentioned the easiest way for draining them..

In the meantime, I didn't mean to come off as being harsh earlier, but I would just really hate for something terrible to end up going wrong with your car, especially over a misunderstanding..

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/27/16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 3/27/16, 05:12 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Thomas ! I have no idea about the other thread you're referring to, but more than likely you may have just misread what the other posters had mentioned..

Anyway the outlet on the bottom of the reservoir leading back to the crankcase is used for extracting oil from out of the crankcase and into the bottom of the oil separator's canister.. The filter is actually designed to prevent crankcase vapor oil from getting past the inlet line at the upper intake and forces the oil to remain at the bottom of the canister where it belongs..

Therefore crankcase oil does not re-enter the crankcase nor is it ever re-cycled..

And yes, I definitely agree with you about Ford's design and for also not including instructions.. Anyway if your really interested in purchasing their oil separator ? I would definitely recommend calling Ford Racing Parts and have them clarify the design and the best way for draining it as well..

I would also recommend that you submit a PM to 70monte (Wayne) on here as well.. I know that he's running one on his car and has mentioned the easiest way for draining them..

In the meantime, I didn't mean to come off as being harsh earlier, but I would just really hate for something terrible to end up going wrong with your car, especially over a misunderstanding..

-Rocky
No worries man! I thank you for the education! I'm always willing to learn.

BTW, the thread I'm referring to is in the very first post in this thread:

I just thought I would let you guys know that Ford Racing has put out a new oil separator. Here is a link so you can read about it and see some pictures of it.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42393

Wayne
I do want to buy one of these. And before I do anything I will get clarification.

Last edited by Thomas S; 3/27/16 at 05:13 PM.
Old 3/27/16, 07:09 PM

No worries man! I thank you for the education! I'm always willing to learn.

BTW, the thread I'm referring to is in the very first post in this thread:

I do want to buy one of these. And before I do anything I will get clarification.
I'm always glad to be helpful Thomas, as we all learn something new every day lol.

Anyway I do remember the first post in this thread now.. I also had the chance to read the posts on mustang6g.com and according to what Nick from JDM engineering posted.. Ford is working on including instructions for their separator and also confirmed that it must be emptied/drained and is therefore not designed for draining oil back into the crankcase..

In the meantime, I definitely agree that you need to get clarification from Ford performance parts before deciding on making a purchase..

-Rocky

Last edited by m05fastbackGT; 3/27/16 at 08:13 PM.

Quick Reply: New Ford Performance oil separator.