Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

New Blowfish shifter bracket

Search this Thread

Old 10/10/14, 04:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Jazzman442
Where are all the reviews.
I will tell you this will be my next mod, but I wanted to read all the "gotchas" on BMO first.

It's a big thread, if you haven't seen it:

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.125

Seems like the big concerns are the best way to install with MGW (which is a later mod for me) and how to keep NVH down. I feel like I need to read pages 6 through 28 before I purchase.
Old 10/10/14, 06:47 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where are all the reviews.
There on many sites all over the "net." Reviews, including my own, are that this bracket is the single best mod to address the shifting precision issues caused by the remote shifter. Words can't adequately describe the change.....my wife was extremely impressed and she doesn't often drive the Boss.

This is my bracket...once I installed it:

Name:  IMG_0840_zpsf24df8ff.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  1.86 MB

The only other issue I have currently is the high rpm lockout...otherwise this was a great improvement for the track....as well as the street.

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 06:51 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by berzerk_1980
I will tell you this will be my next mod, but I wanted to read all the "gotchas" on BMO first.

It's a big thread, if you haven't seen it:

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=7918.125

Seems like the big concerns are the best way to install with MGW (which is a later mod for me) and how to keep NVH down. I feel like I need to read pages 6 through 28 before I purchase.
I have an MGW shifter in my Boss. Other than having to eliminate the heat shield...I have not experienced much in terms of NVH. Some guys have experienced some noise....but I think if you follow Steve's recommendation to lower the bracket by about 1/8"....you shouldn't have an issue. That's how I installed mine....no increase in noise. You will feel increased vibration transmitted through the shifter....if you hang on to it for long periods. I only hang on to the shifter to change gears.....my HPDE instructors pounded that into my thick skull .

Wayne
Old 10/10/14, 07:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Senderofan
The only other issue I have currently is the high rpm lockout...otherwise this was a great improvement for the track....as well as the street.

Wayne
Wait, what high RPM lockout? I never heard about this; I thought all lockout issues were taken care of by these brackets?
Old 10/10/14, 08:01 PM
2013 RR Boss 302 #2342

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,627 Posts
Wait, what high RPM lockout? I never heard about this; I thought all lockout issues were taken care of by these brackets?
Agree!
Old 10/10/14, 11:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I have an MGW shifter in my Boss. Other than having to eliminate the heat shield...I have not experienced much in terms of NVH. Some guys have experienced some noise....but I think if you follow Steve's recommendation to lower the bracket by about 1/8"....you shouldn't have an issue. That's how I installed mine....no increase in noise. You will feel increased vibration transmitted through the shifter....if you hang on to it for long periods. I only hang on to the shifter to change gears.....my HPDE instructors pounded that into my thick skull . Wayne
I have the older style MGW and I'm continuing to get lock out or grinding hear and there. So you have no heat shield whatsoever? You think it's possible to mod the the heat shield to fit?
Old 10/11/14, 05:48 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by laserred38
I have the older style MGW and I'm continuing to get lock out or grinding hear and there. So you have no heat shield whatsoever? You think it's possible to mod the the heat shield to fit?
I don't think you could make it work. Not sure where the attachment point would be for the shield once the bracket is installed....without interfering with the shifter or the bracket. Guess you could email Steve and see if he has thought of a solution?

The lockout and possibly some grinding might be related to the clutch. If it grinds a fair amount at the 1-2 shift....you might have an issue with the syncro teeth being broken. Steve ( BlowFish Racing ) disassembled his MT-82 to see why he had grinding....he said the syncro's have very fine teeth and some were broken off in his transmission...once replace the grinding was gone.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 10/11/14 at 06:31 AM.
Old 10/11/14, 06:17 AM
Team Mustang Source

This has been an issue from the very beginning. Perhaps y'all don't shift at the upper spectrum of the rpm range....so it isn't an issue. But my Boss's peak hp is 7,200 rpm according to the dyno graph I have of it. If I try to shift at 7,000 or above ( new redline is 8250 ) I experience the clutch lockout and it will not allow my to shift until the rpm's drop.

The lockout is something completely different than the imprecise shifting due to the remote shifter. The bracket maintains the correct orientation of the shift gate pattern. The gears are where they should be....such that shifts using muscle memory are quick, smooth and precise.

Here are some threads on the subject:

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....2749#msg112749
Paraphrasing "Patrickshelby" who started this thread.
"I found out about the clutch and the trans issues the hard way after only 30min of driving...
1) Coming out of the last turn into the straight I was not able to shift from 4th (7000 rpm) into 5th...
It took several attempts to get it and sometime I even had to shift into 6th instead (but then you're far out of the powerband).
2) At the end of the straight, I had a hard time getting it to downshift from 5th to 4th...(although I did brake hard to get safely into 4th).

So what is the cure for this?
A new clutch would do? or a clutch + trans?"

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....98599#msg98599

Quoting "NFSBOSS" in the above thread
"You should blame the clutch.

I think the majority of issues with the MT-82 are caused by the inadequate clutch that came in our cars and it's more of an issue with the Bosses or GT's that have the rev limiter raised. Most of us that have aftermarket clutches don't have shifting issues. With that said the durability of the MT-82 is a big question mark but as long as it's under warranty I'm not worrying about it. But if you are check this thread."

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6557.0

I like the MT-82 just fine and I currently have the Ford dual clutch fluid with a MGW shifter. I really didn't like the MGW at first but it has broken in nicely and I wouldn't go back to the stock shifter. The ratios are well matched to the engine for track use too."

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...mission-Issues

This is a thread with a poll...you can see that there is a high percentage that experience "Lockout."

So...not to bore y'all to tears with a long list of threads.....but this is a known and frequently experienced issue with the stock clutch and MT-82 transmission. The lockout is a completely different scenario versus clutch pedal stuck to the floor and imprecise shifts. It seems that a quality aftermarket clutch / flywheel solves the lockout.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 10/11/14 at 06:30 AM.
Old 10/11/14, 07:28 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
With the lock out being the issue for most would a new clutch fluid line take care of the issue? I have read that the OEM line is to small at the connection points?

I have not seen many reviews and was wondering if this took care of the issues. I still want to know what Ford has done to the 2015. They say they have fixed all the MT-82 shifting issues?

Last edited by Jazzman442; 10/11/14 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10/11/14, 08:07 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Wayne, thanks for all the good info. To be honest, I've ground all over, not just one particular gear change scenario. That being said, it's only happened maybe 3-4 times total. Still, I only ground a gear ONCE in my 03 GT with T-56/MGW.

I only ever experience lockout with 3rd, and it's usually when it is cold. Not shifting hard at all. Just normal driving. I haven't driven it that hard to the point that I'd experience high RPM lockout. I daily drive my car and haven't tracked it (strip or course) yet, so I don't get to experience those scenarios.

Does anyone know if the 2014 MT-82s have the TSB trans fluid already installed from the factory?
Old 10/11/14, 10:06 AM
Team Mustang Source

With the lock out being the issue for most would a new clutch fluid line take care of the issue? I have read that the OEM line is to small at the connection points?

I have not seen many reviews and was wondering if this took care of the issues. I still want to know what Ford has done to the 2015. They say they have fixed all the MT-82 shifting issues?
I have not read any threads that said a new clutch line cured the lockout. What I've read.....is that those who've replaced their clutch's with a quality aftermarket unit....have eliminated the lock out.

I watched a video review, on line, of the 2015 GT. The reviewer hinted that Ford, he felt, had addressed some of the issues. But the only bit of info. he provided after that was the fact that Ford now puts in a nice short shift shifter. He never mentioned high rpm shifting. So....it's hard to say if Ford listened and cured all the problems we've been dealing with.

Wayne
Old 10/11/14, 10:13 AM
Team Mustang Source

Wayne, thanks for all the good info. To be honest, I've ground all over, not just one particular gear change scenario. That being said, it's only happened maybe 3-4 times total. Still, I only ground a gear ONCE in my 03 GT with T-56/MGW.

I only ever experience lockout with 3rd, and it's usually when it is cold. Not shifting hard at all. Just normal driving. I haven't driven it that hard to the point that I'd experience high RPM lockout. I daily drive my car and haven't tracked it (strip or course) yet, so I don't get to experience those scenarios.

Does anyone know if the 2014 MT-82s have the TSB trans fluid already installed from the factory?
Sounds like the bracket might cure what you're experiencing. Maybe make a mental note of what driving conditions you are under when this occurs. I'll bet it's when you're getting on the throttle above your normal commuting level. Meaning the tranny is twisting out of correct orientation with the shifter.

I should have also mentioned I put in RedLine MTL in my tranny the first week I had it. Never experienced any cold shifting issues.

Good Luck....Eventually we'll have this diamond in the rough..... polished.

Wayne

Last edited by Senderofan; 10/11/14 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10/11/14, 10:17 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Sounds like the bracket might cure what you're experiencing. Maybe make a mental note of what driving conditions you are under when this occurs. I'll bet it's when you're getting on the throttle above your normal commuting level. Meaning the tranny is twisting out of correct orientation with the shifter. I should have also mentioned I put in RedLine MTL in my tranny the first week I had it. Never experienced any cold shifting issues. Good Luck....Eventually we'll have this diamond in the rough..... polished. Wayne
Yeah I tried to get on the preorder but it had sold out already. And yes, I can definitely feel the trans twisting...out of my hand. The other night, as I got off the freeway, I tried to downshift from 3rd to 2nd and griiiiiiiind...2nd just wasn't there. I was also mid turn, on the banked 75-80* turn, going about 45 I'd say...
Old 10/11/14, 04:55 PM
GT Member

if you look at the thread posted above to BMO a few have modified the heat shield to fit.

planning on doing it to my heat shield when i get around to ordering one.
Old 10/12/14, 09:38 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Wayne, thanks for all the good info. To be honest, I've ground all over, not just one particular gear change scenario. That being said, it's only happened maybe 3-4 times total. Still, I only ground a gear ONCE in my 03 GT with T-56/MGW. I only ever experience lockout with 3rd, and it's usually when it is cold. Not shifting hard at all. Just normal driving. I haven't driven it that hard to the point that I'd experience high RPM lockout. I daily drive my car and haven't tracked it (strip or course) yet, so I don't get to experience those scenarios. Does anyone know if the 2014 MT-82s have the TSB trans fluid already installed from the factory?
I had a similar experience with my gears until I put in a shifter bracket. My experience has been good overall since.

Your car should have the fluid In the tsb in it already. I believe that change was made standard in 2012 models and above.
Old 10/12/14, 10:24 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Mr. V
I had a similar experience with my gears until I put in a shifter bracket. My experience has been good overall since. Your car should have the fluid In the tsb in it already. I believe that change was made standard in 2012 models and above.
Gotcha, thanks! I have an MGW. It was better for a while, but the same issues have started now that the weather is getting colder...
Old 10/13/14, 08:46 AM
Former Vendor

Yeah I tried to get on the preorder but it had sold out already. And yes, I can definitely feel the trans twisting...out of my hand. The other night, as I got off the freeway, I tried to downshift from 3rd to 2nd and griiiiiiiind...2nd just wasn't there. I was also mid turn, on the banked 75-80* turn, going about 45 I'd say...

http://www.cjponyparts.com//blowfish...2-2013/p/MSSB/
Old 10/13/14, 09:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Oh I know you guys have it, but I don't want to spend $300 lol. Hey I'm gonna PM you again, I ordered a SHR shift **** jam nut and it's on back order. Just want to see when it'll ship.
Old 10/14/14, 08:09 AM
Former Vendor

Oh I know you guys have it, but I don't want to spend $300 lol. Hey I'm gonna PM you again, I ordered a SHR shift **** jam nut and it's on back order. Just want to see when it'll ship.
PM me your order number and I'll check on the status.
Old 10/14/14, 07:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Ford put a heat shield there for a reason...and we're just going to remove it??

All these rampant transmission/shifter/clutch issues (several of which I've personally experienced) make me more and more ashamed of purchasing this car Not to mention the engine tick!

sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Its just depressing

Quick Reply: New Blowfish shifter bracket