Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

need help with axle backs.

Search this Thread

Old 2/11/14, 06:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JCStang
I was wondering about the resonator delete...does that result in drone....I am leaning towards the GT500's when my GT comes in as I like the deepness of the tone, but more importantly the price...but if down the road I want a little more volume deleting the resonators may be the ticket....
That will depend on the muffler, O.E. type mufflers and you should have no drone, with aftermarket mufflers depending on the type you may end up with drone when combined with the resonator delete.
Old 2/11/14, 07:58 AM
Bullitt Member

GT500 exhaust is perfect IMHO. I have the quad tipped and deleted cats. It is loud but not annoying. And you still get that burble when you or it downshifts or revs drop. LOVE that sound...
Old 3/1/14, 09:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shayner
I have flowmaster axle backs ( outlaw )
They are great... I recommend these.
Great performance muscle car sound

I just heard buddy's today with the Outlaws. They sound great! The videos I have seen do not do them justice. A little on the loud side but that's what I like. He said droning is not bad either.
Old 3/2/14, 10:31 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
I just heard buddy's today with the Outlaws. They sound great! The videos I have seen do not do them justice. A little on the loud side but that's what I like. He said droning is not bad either.
Compared to Borlas, Roushs or GT-500s, the drone is awful, IMO.
Old 3/2/14, 11:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde

Compared to Borlas, Roushs or GT-500s, the drone is awful, IMO.
You learn to live with it. I must have horrible drone, but after several LONG road trips I still cannot hear it. High flow MRT h pipe, boss side pipes, resonator delete, flowmaster outlaw axlebacks.
Old 3/2/14, 05:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5LHO
Really agreed. GT500s are for the more subtle but very high quality sound appreciator. You can always loud them up later with reso delete, off road H or headers. Louder mufflers will just get stupid if you do that. You can't quiet down an exhaust but, you can turn up the volume fairly easily.
Nailed it.

The only downside to the GT500s is that everybody has them.
Old 3/3/14, 08:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by theACE
You learn to live with it. I must have horrible drone, but after several LONG road trips I still cannot hear it. High flow MRT h pipe, boss side pipes, resonator delete, flowmaster outlaw axlebacks.
I guess...except there's multiple options where you don't have to, so why bother?
Old 3/6/14, 01:54 PM
Bullitt Member

You get used to it.
Originally Posted by Automatic 5.0
Old 3/6/14, 02:15 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
Best thing to do would be find a local mustang club. Go to an event or meeting and ask around about ABs. No mustang driver on gods green earth will turn down the chance to let someone hear their exhaust note.
This is a very good point (last statement above). I have to agree. The number of times I've started my car and rev'd it up for people, I cannot count. The smiles, thumbs ups, and head nodding by them, never gets old

Originally Posted by jmaStang
Nailed it.

The only downside to the GT500s is that everybody has them.
Downside to me (all opinion), was that it was not loud/aggressive enough. Great tone, but needed more. Still a great exhaust for the year that I had them. It's what I would call the perfect "beginner" exhaust, for someone just enjoying their mustang for the first time... as they mature and get old, they crave more.

Last edited by FromZto5; 3/6/14 at 02:26 PM.
Old 3/6/14, 02:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
This is a very good point (last statement above). I have to agree. The number of times I've started my car and rev'd it up for people, I cannot count. The smiles and head nodding by them, never gets old Downside to me (all opinion), was that it was not loud/aggressive enough. Great tone, but needed more. Still a great exhaust for the year that I had them. It's what I would call the perfect "beginner" exhaust, for someone just enjoying their mustang for the first time... as they mature and get old, they crave more.
I actually feel weird if I don't get at least one thumbs up or a little kid saying "whoaaa!! Mom look at that".
Old 3/6/14, 02:27 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by Bocefus
I actually feel weird if I don't get at least one thumbs up or a little kid saying "whoaaa!! Mom look at that".
side note (sorry), but what wheels do you have? Looks great!
Old 3/6/14, 02:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
side note (sorry), but what wheels do you have? Looks great!
oh thanks. Just the stock 13 gt/CS rims.
Old 3/16/14, 02:19 PM

Its so hard to decide...many choices!!!!
Old 3/20/14, 08:47 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What's the part# for the GT500 exhaust you guys are referring to? Will it fit a '14 CS bumper cover?
Old 3/21/14, 11:59 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The part # is M-5230-MGTCA1 and is from Ford Racing. This is what I'm currently running on my 14 GT. I still have my resonators. I originally put on the Roush AB and had it on for about 6 months before I switched to the GT500's.

Even though I love how the Roush system sounds, in some instances it got to be too loud, so I decided to go with something quieter. I'm happy with how the GT500's sound and they seem to have gotten a little louder since the installation. I may delete the resonators at some point but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

Wayne
Old 3/22/14, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
The part # is M-5230-MGTCA1 and is from Ford Racing. This is what I'm currently running on my 14 GT. I still have my resonators. I originally put on the Roush AB and had it on for about 6 months before I switched to the GT500's.

Even though I love how the Roush system sounds, in some instances it got to be too loud, so I decided to go with something quieter. I'm happy with how the GT500's sound and they seem to have gotten a little louder since the installation. I may delete the resonators at some point but for now I'm going to leave it as is.

Wayne
Thanks! That's good to hear because I just picked up a new '14 GT/CS Vert and I made them include the GT500s M-5230-MGTCA1 in the deal. Not yet installed though.

Will it be a noticeable change from stock? I had FRPP Stingers on my '06 GT and had I kept it I probably would have gone with the Roush off-road exhaust.

What Roush system did you have on your '14?
Old 3/26/14, 09:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

To those with the GT500 non quad axle backs, do you get the burble on deceleration? I really miss that from my FRPP Stingers on my '06 GT

Also for those that have deleted their resonators, how are you achieving that? Cutting them out? Replacing the over axle pipes?

Last edited by Fords4Ever; 3/26/14 at 09:05 PM.
Old 3/27/14, 06:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Fords4Ever
Thanks! That's good to hear because I just picked up a new '14 GT/CS Vert and I made them include the GT500s M-5230-MGTCA1 in the deal. Not yet installed though.

Will it be a noticeable change from stock? I had FRPP Stingers on my '06 GT and had I kept it I probably would have gone with the Roush off-road exhaust.

What Roush system did you have on your '14?

The start up volume is quite a bit louder than stock. To me, it's just a little quieter than the Roush system. On acceleration it's louder than stock but at idle and cruising speed, it's not much louder than stock. The tone is also better than stock IMO. I did love the sound of the Roush system but usually after a long day at work, I wasn't enjoying the extra noise and it sometimes gave me a headache. I wanted something quieter and is why I went with the GT500's.

I didn't know there were any other versions of the Roush system other than the version with the different tips. I had the round tips.

I have not noticed any burble on deceleration with mine.

Wayne
Old 3/27/14, 10:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
The start up volume is quite a bit louder than stock. To me, it's just a little quieter than the Roush system. On acceleration it's louder than stock but at idle and cruising speed, it's not much louder than stock. The tone is also better than stock IMO. I did love the sound of the Roush system but usually after a long day at work, I wasn't enjoying the extra noise and it sometimes gave me a headache. I wanted something quieter and is why I went with the GT500's.

I didn't know there were any other versions of the Roush system other than the version with the different tips. I had the round tips.

I have not noticed any burble on deceleration with mine.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. I'm having the GT500s installed Monday and I cannot wait.

On my '06 the FRPP Stingers which are basically Borla S Types, if I stayed in gear wile decelerating I would get some sweet burbling that I know some d not like but I think it's great.

Regarding the Roush, on the '05-'09 systems Roush had an axle back and then what they called an off-road exhaust which was a cat-back but really just had resonators under body. At least that what it looked like to me in their pictures
Old 3/28/14, 01:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

My Roush's were just the axle back kit with the round mufflers and round tips. The rest of my exhaust was/is stock. I still have the factory resonators in place. If the GT500's are not loud enough, people say to delete the resonators for a little louder sound. I don't want to hack up my factory exhaust so I'm keeping the resonators for now.

Wayne

Quick Reply: need help with axle backs.