Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Muffler Deletes

Search this Thread

Old 6/14/10, 11:34 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
50 lbs each or 50 lbs total?
I am only guessing, but about 50 LB's total. the Magnaflow competion axle backs had a total shipping weight of 22.6 Lbs. I can tell you that the stock mufflers EACH weigh much more that that. So I figured I went from about 70 Lbs or so with stock mufflers to 23 lbs with the deletes. Just a best guess.

Every little bit of reduction helps.

I still have the stock mufflers, I'll weigh them tonight if I remember.

Last edited by IT_Guru; 6/14/10 at 11:35 AM.
Old 6/14/10, 11:52 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I'd guess that the mufflers from my 2009 were in the 50lb territory (combined) which was my biggest argument for going with the vastly lighter SLP Loudmouth setup.

A +/-30lb weight savings is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 6/14/10, 12:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
I'd guess that the mufflers from my 2009 were in the 50lb territory (combined) which was my biggest argument for going with the vastly lighter SLP Loudmouth setup.

A +/-30lb weight savings is nothing to sneeze at.
They weren't quite that heavy, I really wish there was a 30 lb weight savings from the stock mufflers to the SLP Loudmouths. I weighed my stock mufflers and my SLP Loudmouths on a digital shipping scales when I swapped mine, and the stock mufflers on my '08 GT weighed 15 lbs each, and the SLP's were 7 lbs each, for a total weight savings of 16 lbs. I'll take weight reduction wherever I can get it though.

I balanced out the 16 lbs off the rear with a lighter Odyssey OPC680 battery that saved 17 lbs up front.
Old 6/14/10, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah that would be fun to annoy the neighbors or set off people car alarms. As for a daily driver, i'm to
old for muffler deletes !
Old 6/14/10, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by yugoboss
Yeah that would be fun to annoy the neighbors or set off people car alarms. As for a daily driver, i'm to
old for muffler deletes !
They aren't nearly as loud as you think, the resonators are still there and it's only really loud at WOT.
Old 6/26/10, 11:41 AM
V6 Member

I have MAC Boomtubes on my 05 GT. They are basically straight pipes with some louver design between the inner and outer tube. There's very little drone, but there not as loud as I would like. I have an X pipe but stock headers and cats, so that may be why it's quiet.
on my 11 I would like to do something different to get it louder and meaner sounding. Definitely going with muffler deletes tho.

Last edited by jay45dee; 6/26/10 at 11:43 AM.
Old 6/27/10, 10:39 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's an '11 with muffler delete, sounds pretty nasty.

This guy's wife is really impressed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTgWyk89MvQ
Old 6/27/10, 11:13 PM

Would anyone recommend deletes (Roush, Magnalflow, etc...) for the 10-11 GT500? I don't like how quiet it is, although it does sound good and I like the down-shift gurgle. Just needs to be louder. Louder is better. I want to be able to roll the windows up and not have to keep the radio off to hear it. Although I guess that credits Fords NVH department. They did a really good job at keeping the street noise out.
Old 6/27/10, 11:32 PM
GTR Member

I think they sound great, especially if you like them LOUD!

No sense in buying the high dollar sets though, why pay a bunch extra for just a set of straight pipes with tips? Don't know why these things should cost $400 or more.

rpmoutlet.com has a set for $180 but on a '11 you would have to modify the hookup. I'm sure Pypes will come out with a set specifically for the '11 soon too and they are less than the bigger names, about $275.
Old 6/28/10, 01:02 AM

Would anyone recommend deletes (Roush, Magnalflow, etc...) for the 10-11 GT500? I don't like how quiet it is, although it does sound good and I like the down-shift gurgle. Just needs to be louder. Louder is better. I want to be able to roll the windows up and not have to keep the radio off to hear it. Although I guess that credits Fords NVH department. They did a really good job at keeping the street noise out.
Old 6/28/10, 09:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Kory, member "Sharpie" has the Roush muffler deletes and they sound great. Here's a link to his Youtube page with some clips: http://www.youtube.com/user/2sharpie.../1/ALRckptuOf8

When they are available for the 11s I think that's what I'm going with.
Old 6/28/10, 12:06 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
They weren't quite that heavy, I really wish there was a 30 lb weight savings from the stock mufflers to the SLP Loudmouths. I weighed my stock mufflers and my SLP Loudmouths on a digital shipping scales when I swapped mine, and the stock mufflers on my '08 GT weighed 15 lbs each, and the SLP's were 7 lbs each, for a total weight savings of 16 lbs. I'll take weight reduction wherever I can get it though.

I balanced out the 16 lbs off the rear with a lighter Odyssey OPC680 battery that saved 17 lbs up front.
I weighed the stock mufflers last week with just a home digital bathroom scale, but they came in at about 21 lbs each. So looks like I saved about 20 lbs. Like you said every little bit helps.
Old 7/9/10, 10:50 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I was recently told that my 2009 with SLP deletes sounded like a car with glasspacks (and not in a kind way). I guess I can see the similarity but the tone is a lot less artificial than a glasspack equipt car IMO.
Old 7/9/10, 11:18 AM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
I was recently told that my 2009 with SLP deletes sounded like a car with glasspacks (and not in a kind way). I guess I can see the similarity but the tone is a lot less artificial than a glasspack equipt car IMO.
That still cracks me up. Where are these people placing the glasspacks? Is it the cats plus glasspacks that are allegedly changing the sound to 'bad'?

I have used 24" glasspacks on my '83 F150 for years (mid-pipe) - it is mellow at idle and no louder than F150 stock muffler was. Even put them on my other older car when its muffler went out and it sounded great.

Back in the day glasspacks were known for having a mellow idle and a great V8 tone when revved. And they definitely were not the "bad muffler" farm truck sound! I have a farm truck here on the ranch - I know!

PS: I think that's why the Bullitt mufflers (M5230-GTB) and KR's (M5230-S) have packed tips - to take any edge off and add that mellow idle.

Last edited by cdynaco; 7/9/10 at 11:31 AM.
Old 7/9/10, 11:49 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
That still cracks me up. Where are these people placing the glasspacks? Is it the cats plus glasspacks that are allegedly changing the sound to 'bad'?

I have used 24" glasspacks on my '83 F150 for years (mid-pipe) - it is mellow at idle and no louder than F150 stock muffler was. Even put them on my other older car when its muffler went out and it sounded great.

Back in the day glasspacks were known for having a mellow idle and a great V8 tone when revved. And they definitely were not the "bad muffler" farm truck sound! I have a farm truck here on the ranch - I know!

PS: I think that's why the Bullitt mufflers (M5230-GTB) and KR's (M5230-S) have packed tips - to take any edge off and add that mellow idle.
Interesting... maybe the sound that I (and others) associate with glasspacks is the sound that they make as the fiberglass sound insulating material breaks down internally with age? I have always thought of them as having a raspy/rattly tone.
Old 7/11/10, 01:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Yeah, so why didn't you consider that before posting what you did?

You could have just posted that you don't care for the muffler deletes instead of bashing those who do like them.

What consist of a muffler delete? Shouldnt this be about $100 bucks work at a shop?
Old 7/11/10, 03:23 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by GRABOID
What consist of a muffler delete? Shouldnt this be about $100 bucks work at a shop?
Can be, just depends on how nice you want it and if you want to keep it S.S. or just aluminized and mandrel bends or not.
Old 7/13/10, 08:49 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by fdjizm
I still loved how the 99-04 sounded with some flowmasters, they are so much deeper compared to the s197 because the muffler is right at the end of the system so you don't get that "hollowed throaty" sound
Anyone run into a good setup that uses mid mufflers to get that sound?

Yea the pypes mid muffler First part of the vid is just headers

http://il.youtube.com/user/alay3434
Old 7/19/10, 06:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Speaking of muffler deletes why not just delete everything?? haha
Old 7/21/10, 10:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Can be, just depends on how nice you want it and if you want to keep it S.S. or just aluminized and mandrel bends or not.
hell super cheap and super weight savings.....

just pull the over axle tubes and mufflers off, clamp on turndown and if you feel bad about not having tips mount some fake ones up under the azz end! Bam old school muffler deletes for less than 100 bucks.

Quick Reply: Muffler Deletes