5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW shifter heat shield and shift knob (jamnut) install question

Search this Thread

Old 11/29/11, 10:16 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
MGW shifter heat shield and shift **** (jamnut) install question

For those of you who have the 2items in question and have completed the install, I have a couple of questions.

1) for the heat shield install, when I'm on my back staring up at the car/shifter assembly, does the white manneglass and metal sheet get mounted on the 4 clamshell studs using its own 4 nuts (provided in heat shield kit) for a total of 8 nuts???? Or are those 4 nuts extra and I'm supposed to use the 4 clamshell nuts to mount itself AND the heatshield stuff?

2) the mgw shift ball I ordered came with what looks like a "thick" jam nut, about 1/2 inch long. I know it's used so that you don't keep tightening the ball to match the logo and the ball cracks. But does this jamnut simply go above the oem boot so it rests on top of the boot? Then slide the ball above that??? How about the lock washer that came with it? I don't see a need for it between the ball and jamnut. It doesn't cause a good flat mating surface between the jamnut and ball flat.
Old 11/30/11, 04:39 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FromZto5
For those of you who have the 2items in question and have completed the install, I have a couple of questions.

1) for the heat shield install, when I'm on my back staring up at the car/shifter assembly, does the white manneglass and metal sheet get mounted on the 4 clamshell studs using its own 4 nuts (provided in heat shield kit) for a total of 8 nuts???? Or are those 4 nuts extra and I'm supposed to use the 4 clamshell nuts to mount itself AND the heatshield stuff?

2) the mgw shift ball I ordered came with what looks like a "thick" jam nut, about 1/2 inch long. I know it's used so that you don't keep tightening the ball to match the logo and the ball cracks. But does this jamnut simply go above the oem boot so it rests on top of the boot? Then slide the ball above that??? How about the lock washer that came with it? I don't see a need for it between the ball and jamnut. It doesn't cause a good flat mating surface between the jamnut and ball flat.
I just install my MGW shifter last week with the heat shield. To install the shield just slip the glass and steel plate on the studs without removing the existing nuts and add the 4 new nuts that came with the kit! When I installed my shifter ball I tighten the ball on the new shaft and adjusted it by loosening the shifter shaft locking it into position with the jam nut used at the base of the shaft. If your not sure watch the videos of the install they say that the jam nut that is provided with their shifter ***** is not needed with the new shifter because you can lock the shaft with the jam nut that came with your shifter!

Last edited by Chip; 11/30/11 at 04:40 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11/30/11, 10:03 AM
JAJ
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As Chip said, the heat shield (fuzzy white stuff that'll make you itch) just pushes into place first and hangs there of its own accord while you position the stainless sheet underneath it. The upper set of nuts that hold the shifter together remain untouched and you put the second set of nuts on to hold the heat shield and stainless sheet in place.

As for the shifter nut, although I have the stock ****, I think it works the same. The jam nut screws down against the top of the gold frame (with the lockwasher) and not up against the ****.

The way I installed mine was to put the jam nut and the washers on the shaft and screw it into the shifter mechanism and tighten the jam nut down "a bit". Then I put the **** onto the shaft and tightened it down until it bottomed. Then I loosened the jam nut and rotated the shaft so the **** was oriented correctly. I retightened the jam nut for real to hold the shaft and **** straight.

At that point, the whole thing's together but the console's still sitting on the passenger's seat, so you unscrew the ****, install the console and put the **** back. You're done.