Notices
Warranty and Service Issues All Warrenty related problems, issues, TSBs, and anything else revolving around the service departments.

These things fell off of my car. Can anybody tell what they are?

Old 7/29/15, 10:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These things fell off of my car. Can anybody tell what they are?

Hi guys. It's been a while since I've been here. Still with the same car in my sig except different tires.

My Mustang has been going great all these years but recently I've noticed these pieces that have fallen off from underneath. They are stiff rubber and about a 1/4 inch thick. It looks like the hot weather down here has made the parts crack and these pieces came off. They fell near the rear of the car and since then I've noticed a burning smell after I get out from driving. I haven't had a chance to look under the car but I think it's some sort of heat shield.

Does anybody have a clue what the part is that they came from?
Old 7/30/15, 05:37 AM
FR500 Member

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts
Originally Posted by f1-cobra View Post

Hi guys. It's been a while since I've been here. Still with the same car in my sig except different tires.

My Mustang has been going great all these years but recently I've noticed these pieces that have fallen off from underneath. They are stiff rubber and about a 1/4 inch thick. It looks like the hot weather down here has made the parts crack and these pieces came off. They fell near the rear of the car and since then I've noticed a burning smell after I get out from driving. I haven't had a chance to look under the car but I think it's some sort of heat shield.

Does anybody have a clue what the part is that they came from?
They looks like parts of the rubber flap from underneath the front behind the splitter.
Old 7/30/15, 08:35 AM

Agree with flap under spoiler
Old 7/30/15, 08:12 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if not off the spoiler, look under the car at around the rear of the door opening- there are similarly shaped rubber flaps just ahead of the fuel tank on both sides- the 'notch' looks exactly like the cutout where the fuel lines run under it, the rounded outside corners...sure looks like that little air deflector/flap/whatever it is... mine were originally a clear/yellow rubber type stuff, but have turned a purple/black over time, havent noticed any cracks yet, but really havent looked at them that closely...I wipe down the undercarriage with oily rags after oil changes, noticed the discoloration, but didnt look to see if they are degrading more than just in color...

Last edited by ford4v429; 7/30/15 at 09:02 PM.
Old 7/31/15, 07:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the help guys. I checked out all of these places and it turned out to be the flaps ahead of the fuel tank. Thanks for the info, Tim.

I'd say that it was a combination of being in this heat for 8 years and having a lowered car driving in a town with a lot of speed bumps. The part from Ford is called a Fuel Pump Shield, part number 9B007. Left and right.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Pa...&model=Mustang

Also, I found out that the burning smell is from a plastic grocery bag stuck to my exhaust pipe.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 7/31/15, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
cool- 'fuel pump shield'...I NEVER woulda guessed that name, seeing as how the pump is inside the tank I really thought maybe they were a air deflector to keep noise down from air getting between floor and tank fiberglass guard... or something I'll have to look closer next time, to see exactly what it might be able to protect

thanks for the link, had never looked to see what all is in there plumbing wise
Old 7/31/15, 07:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Ah, you're welcome. Yeah, I thought the name was misleading also. Probably should have been called a fuel tank deflector.
Old 8/1/15, 10:35 AM
RCW
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for Information & Confirmation

A few days prior to f1-cobra's post, I found 1 of the 3 pieces of rubber on my garage floor, under my car. I jacked up the side of the car and found where it was missing from. It was almost the exact same shape and size of the far right piece in the above photo. I had been searching all over the Ford Parts site trying to determine exactly what it was. I found the same part number also but was not certain if the rubber piece was a part of the "fuel pump shield." Thanks for the confirmation.

My baby is an early 05 with 111k miles now in semi retirement from being my daily driver 2005 through 2012.

Thanks for the information and confirmation gentlemen.

RC
Old 8/1/15, 08:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

RC, you are welcome.

I knew this has had to happen to somebody else but I couldn't find anything searching google. The more I've looked at the part number it looks like there are several parts with 9B007. I'm certain it is part number BR3Z-9B007-B and BR3Z-9B007-C. Front Shield-Fuel Tank. I haven't been to a parts store to see them in person as my dealer didn't have any in stock but I will let everyone know when I get to see one to make sure.