Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Race Spec Revision?

Search this Thread

Old 3/30/15, 11:03 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MGW Race Spec Revision?

So I ordered my MGW race spec for my 2013 GT around Christmas time. Got it in January and haven't had a chance to put it in yet. It was cold, and I've been driving the beater. It's getting nicer out so I decide I'm going to put it in this week, jump online to watch the install vid again and realize that my MGW Race Spec looks completely different than the ones they're installing. Does anybody know if they changed them already or something? Maybe I could still swap mine for the new one since I haven't put it in yet.

I attached a picture of mine, the current one is on mgw's website. The arm that attached the shifter to the transmission as well as the entire shifter box itself seem different. Not to mention the added bracing on the sides.

EDIT: edited to attach photo of current race spec.
Attached Thumbnails MGW Race Spec Revision?-img_3817.jpg   MGW Race Spec Revision?-mt82-new-01.jpg  

Last edited by Bandit79; 3/30/15 at 11:05 AM.
Old 3/30/15, 12:50 PM
GT Member

Nevermind. Figured it out. In case anybody else is wondering the new version isn't supposed to have any impact on how the shift feels, just some differences mostly brought on by the 2015.
Old 3/30/15, 06:37 PM
GT Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just info....I asked MGW about the differences between the first version of the race spec and the second version. George told me the first version might have a little more vibration that you could feel through the floor...which is what I thought I felt and asked about. He went on to say the first version would be quieter....the second version that attaches to the trans and has no attachment to the floor pan might have less vibration, but would be noisier as it is only attached to the transmission.

For what it's worth.....either version is a huge improvement over stock...at least in my opinion.
Old 3/31/15, 11:24 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by BaknBlk
Just info....I asked MGW about the differences between the first version of the race spec and the second version. George told me the first version might have a little more vibration that you could feel through the floor...which is what I thought I felt and asked about. He went on to say the first version would be quieter....the second version that attaches to the trans and has no attachment to the floor pan might have less vibration, but would be noisier as it is only attached to the transmission.

For what it's worth.....either version is a huge improvement over stock...at least in my opinion.
Good info to know. After reading some things from George on a couple other forums and some things from other drivers I just decided to go ahead and install the one I had rather than try and exchange it for a new one. Didn't seem like it would be worth it for me.

Put it in last night and wow! Was watching hockey during the install so I got done pretty late. Only took it out for a bit last night and to work this morning so far but it's like night and day. I thought everyone was exaggerating when they said their MGW made it feel like a whole new car. It's so precise and the shifter does all the work on the 2-3.

Last edited by Bandit79; 3/31/15 at 11:27 AM.
Old 3/31/15, 06:59 PM
GT Member

Glad to hear you liked it.....one of the best mods I've done. I also replaced the tranny fluid with Royal Purple and that helped even more.
Old 4/13/15, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
The problem with version 1 (and maybe 2) is that it uses the shift shaft coming out of the trans as a mount. That is BAD IDEA. That shaft was never designed to be side loaded, which it is in the ver 1 and maybe is in ver 2. It may hold up for a while but eventually the bushing that the shaft runs through will wallow out, the shifts will get sloppy and it will leak.

I really can't believe they did that.
Old 4/13/15, 03:43 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sqidd
The problem with version 1 (and maybe 2) is that it uses the shift shaft coming out of the trans as a mount. That is BAD IDEA. That shaft was never designed to be side loaded, which it is in the ver 1 and maybe is in ver 2. It may hold up for a while but eventually the bushing that the shaft runs through will wallow out, the shifts will get sloppy and it will leak. I really can't believe they did that.
The mount is the same as stock, it's just centered over the shift shaft. Not actually mounted to it.

I have a non race spec but I did the bushing upgrade so it's a little more solid than before. Race spec looks cool though.

Last edited by jp1seattle; 4/13/15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 4/13/15, 10:44 PM
GT Member

In version 1 of the race spec, the "shift shaft" or shift linkage is not used as a mount of any kind. The shifter box is mounted to the transmission with a very solid billet aluminum arm which replaces the factory arm. This billet arm is about 1" square and like I said, very solid. The only difference in the shift linkage itself is the "knuckle" or what ever you want to call it is gone...because of this design there is no side loading of the shift linkage and that linkage is not any sort of additional mount. The design of the race spec would preclude any side loading at all.
Old 4/27/15, 08:09 PM

The Race Spec Gen 1 utilizes a rear mount to support the back of the shifter just like the previous designs. The Race Spec Gen 2 uses 2 side arms to attach the shifter directly to the transmission. Neither design puts any stress on the shifter shaft. I have the Gen 1 and it is smooth and precise.
No need to spread false information.

Originally Posted by sqidd
The problem with version 1 (and maybe 2) is that it uses the shift shaft coming out of the trans as a mount. That is BAD IDEA. That shaft was never designed to be side loaded, which it is in the ver 1 and maybe is in ver 2. It may hold up for a while but eventually the bushing that the shaft runs through will wallow out, the shifts will get sloppy and it will leak.

I really can't believe they did that.
Old 5/3/15, 08:46 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just switched over from race spec 1 to 2. No stress on shifter shaft with either one..
Extremely pleased with the 2. The first race version was great but the new one is an improved design as it does away with the factory articulated arm. Now the shifter is attached only to the transmission and the linkage is direct.
This is the way the shifter should be but Ford erred on the side of less NVH. MGW race shifter does vibrate a bit more than stock but the noise is not an issue.

Last edited by todcp; 5/3/15 at 08:49 PM.