5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket

Search this Thread

Old 12/14/14, 01:58 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Joeywhat
It's probably thirty days from the date of purchase of the new unit.
Haha I was kinda buzzed when I read/replied to that. Makes a lot more sense now lol
Old 12/14/14, 05:31 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah...they give you 30 days to return the gen1 to them. It doesn't matter how beat up or old the gen 1 is.
Old 12/15/14, 09:44 AM
MGW
Former Vendor

Yes the core is 200...We actually only use about 50 dollars of the older one ( the heat treated internals ) and you re use your gold rear bracket and sound pad from your older unit.

So the core is a MAJOR loss for us but i hate being on the consumer ends when you are loyal to a company and then something better comes along and you feel left out to dry. lol...But i will not be doing this too long... probably thru january as its killin me.

George
Old 12/15/14, 11:21 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MGW
Yes the core is 200...We actually only use about 50 dollars of the older one ( the heat treated internals ) and you re use your gold rear bracket and sound pad from your older unit.

So the core is a MAJOR loss for us but i hate being on the consumer ends when you are loyal to a company and then something better comes along and you feel left out to dry. lol...But i will not be doing this too long... probably thru january as its killin me.

George
And that is why you are one the best and most coveted. What is the best way to make certain that I can take advantage of the core swap? There goes part of my susp nation build for the time being! Totally looks worth it!

I'd be driving out for an install.

Last edited by solscooter; 12/15/14 at 11:30 AM.
Old 12/15/14, 12:17 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by solscooter
And that is why you are one the best and most coveted. What is the best way to make certain that I can take advantage of the core swap? There goes part of my susp nation build for the time being! Totally looks worth it! I'd be driving out for an install.
Yeah I'm gonna order the new one this week too. Now to find time to do the swap. I hated that boot install on the first revision, so much that George actually sent me out another one for free (since I tore my first one) and I haven't even installed it yet. I hated it that much. I really want to try out the new version and put my stock boot back on.
Old 12/15/14, 07:14 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MGW
Yes the core is 200...We actually only use about 50 dollars of the older one ( the heat treated internals ) and you re use your gold rear bracket and sound pad from your older unit. So the core is a MAJOR loss for us but i hate being on the consumer ends when you are loyal to a company and then something better comes along and you feel left out to dry. lol...But i will not be doing this too long... probably thru january as its killin me. George
George, does this mean that if I were to order a race spec, as a first time MGW user. We would be getting some "used" parts in our unit?
Old 12/15/14, 07:16 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
Yeah I'm gonna order the new one this week too. Now to find time to do the swap. I hated that boot install on the first revision, so much that George actually sent me out another one for free (since I tore my first one) and I haven't even installed it yet. I hated it that much. I really want to try out the new version and put my stock boot back on.
The new one uses the stock boot?! Awesome.
Old 12/15/14, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
The new one uses the stock boot?! Awesome.
Yes, rubber boot. The original has their own design and it is a B*TCH to install, especially on jackstands.
Old 12/16/14, 01:53 PM
MGW
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by typesredline
George, does this mean that if I were to order a race spec, as a first time MGW user. We would be getting some "used" parts in our unit?
no...we are actually using only the heat treated parts and sending them only with core upgrades. If you buy a race spec without a core you will get brand new parts.

We also are inspecting 100 percent of all shafts and it they are even a hint of being suspect they go in the trash,. Thats why this core exchange is very costly for us.

George
Old 7/18/15, 05:43 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by MGW
no...we are actually using only the heat treated parts and sending them only with core upgrades. If you buy a race spec without a core you will get brand new parts.

We also are inspecting 100 percent of all shafts and it they are even a hint of being suspect they go in the trash,. Thats why this core exchange is very costly for us.

George
I will be ordering this mod next month. I was wondering if someone at MGW or anyone else has written step by step install instructions for this shifter. I've watched the videos but I like to read directions before I tackle something and have something to refer to while I install.
Old 7/23/15, 11:23 AM
V6 Member

I just installed the Blowfish bracket with the new Gen 2 end on it and the difference is incredible. No grinding/notchiness at all, just good solid shifting. A little bit of NVH but not bad at all. You cannot use the blowfish bracket with the MGW race spec shifter. The MGW race shifter is $470 and the blowfish is currently on sale at CJpony parts for $249. well worth the investment and half the cost and will do the same thing as the MGW.
Old 7/27/15, 12:37 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
If only someone out there could do an objective comparison of these products. For the most part the users on both sides are very happy with what they have. For me, I'd like minimal to no additional NVH. Besides price the biggest reason to go with the Blowfish bracket is the drive shaft loop. I plan to swap out to a 1 piece drive shaft at some point so the added safety would be nice.
Old 7/27/15, 04:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
MGW Race Spec and Blowfish bracket

Originally Posted by mustang5o
If only someone out there could do an objective comparison of these products. For the most part the users on both sides are very happy with what they have. For me, I'd like minimal to no additional NVH. Besides price the biggest reason to go with the Blowfish bracket is the drive shaft loop. I plan to swap out to a 1 piece drive shaft at some point so the added safety would be nice.
Seems unlikely. When I started this thread there were much more significant pros and cons. Both products have undergone some growth in maturity and the feedback on both has been pretty solid.

Assuming both do a great job with shifting and NVH, here's what's left:

Blowfish is cheaper and easier to install because it uses the stock shifter or any other shifter you might prefer. It also adds the driveshaft loop.

Conversely, MGW is more expensive because it replaces the shifter. But according to feedback the build quality is second to none.

I'm leaning toward leaving it alone (I've made friends with the stock shifter somewhat) or going with the MGW. I'll probably leave it alone until I have money to burn then MGW it.
Old 8/6/15, 08:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does the new MGW have any height adjustability?

One thing holding me back is I prefer the shifter a little taller. In fact I have the Barton extender on the stock shifter and it just about the perfect height IMO.

I didn't see anything on the MGW website about it on the new race spec shifter