Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Meet the Armageddon Twins ()...

Search this Thread

Old 4/24/14, 06:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 144 Likes on 109 Posts
Mike - that is one sweet build, congrats. Those are some awesome numbers you're putting down. On your Michigan mile are you going to be there for the weekend or 1 day? I didnt realize there was an event like that, that was sooo close to me I'll have to check that out next year.

On your car it looks like you have a Roush front splitter? You might want to research if it will handle the speed your talking about 174+. Found it, Here's the link, I saw awhile back. Would hate to see this happen to you. You might also check with Roush to see what they say about the product and those speeds.
Old 4/24/14, 06:30 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice car and build man ,very beastly . I can agree with you with the boost and internal thing now i know this is a different setup but my brother has been running about 10.5- 11 psi with his TVS for the past year and no issues and everything is 100 percent stock as far as internals and clutch. Now he dont beat the ever living crap out of it but he is not exactly easy on it either ,im about to add the CAI myself and be where he is. Any how Awesome car man
Old 4/24/14, 08:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by joey8
Very very nice built OP. This is certainly one of, if not the highest quality TT kit on the market. I am very close to pulling the trigger on some type of power adder within the next month or two. Choices as far as TT kits go is either this kit or the fluid turbo kit which is said to come out sometime in the summer. I got a few questions for you.

1) since i can no longer use my LT headers and mid pipe, which mid pipe did you go with. any fitment issues?

2) did you get the base kit or did you upgrade the turbos at all? I no they have a few options one being the billet turbos or something like that. I'm not going for crazy numbers as my motor is stock but once i built my motor i would certainly like to crank up the boost.

3) Did you buy an additional boost controller with it? I think i would like the option to go with a low boost/high boost with the click of a button. IE for street daily use run like 7-8 psi. When at the track or feeling risky run a higher boost application like 10 -12 psi.

4) Any idle issues? I no there are some idle issues with the hellion kit. Some being tune related and some kit related.

5) You said you used no heat wrap or blankets. Do you recommend using some just for the extra piece of mind or is it really not necessary.

6) All the 5.0s i see it on either have the boss manifold or are actual boss's. Do you need to get the boss manifold, it says on the site its built specificially for the boss manifold, do it work at all on the stock manifold?

That should do it OP. Goodluck with it and can't wait to hear some vids! That big Tial BOV sound must be unreall!
Hey man, thanks. I was actually in the same exact boat as you are during the pondering/research/dreaming/inquiring phase. I'm sure the fluid kit will be solid, their initial tests show a lot of promise. Those guys are powerhouses in the coyote community. I can say with confidence that every other offering outside of Arma/Fluid can't come close to competing in total R&D initial investment, quality manufacturing, efficiency, the list goes on and on. I researched this stuff for nearly 2 years. In the end, the Arma kit was a better match for myself and Rumblebelly. Answers to the above:

1. I used Armageddon's own 3" downpipe back exhaust system. You can use any mid-pipe system designed to bolt-up to stock manifolds, but the benefit of the Armageddon system is it maintains a true 3" inside diameter all the way back (no neck down to 2 3/4").

2. I went with the base turbos (They're good for 1200 Crank Horsepower). When I build my motor I am going to switch to the GTX3582R Turbos (1500 Crank Horsepower Capable).

3. For the stock engine I didn't want the temptation of a boost controller. When I build the engine I will use Armageddon's "Gulf-Spec" package which adds a three stage boost controller and a wideband failsafe (cuts the boost back to wastegate pressure if engine runs too lean).

4. Idles perfect! Just like stock-until I plant my foot, then it goes Kill Bill mode. I'll make sure to grab some cold-start/idle footage when I start grabbing clips. I'm still waiting on my camera mount.

5. No heat wrap is necessary. I don't intend to ever use it. Everything in the system, from the 304 Stainless Steel to the strict air gap around EVERYTHING hot, is intended to not use this. Wrapping creates corrosion/heat cycling issues and can be a real fire hazard if it gets soaked with oil.

6. Check out the one-piece charge tubing (also the reason it idles so well), this only fits with Boss intake manifolds. I don't think they have any plans to offer a GT Manifold compatible system. You can't beat the looks of the Boss manifold and the performance speaks for itself. I'm not into engine-bay dress-up, or at least I haven't been in the past, but now I find myself obsessing more and more over it post-install because it all ties together so nicely.
Old 4/24/14, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Rog13GTCS
Mike - that is one sweet build, congrats. Those are some awesome numbers you're putting down. On your Michigan mile are you going to be there for the weekend or 1 day? I didnt realize there was an event like that, that was sooo close to me I'll have to check that out next year.

On your car it looks like you have a Roush front splitter? You might want to research if it will handle the speed your talking about 174+. Found it, Here's the link, I saw awhile back. Would hate to see this happen to you. You might also check with Roush to see what they say about the product and those speeds.
Thanks for the link man! I was planning on reinforcing the front splitter like Varilux dide (scroll down on load): https://themustangsource.com/f800/ro...-piece-528988/ but after seeing the post your shared, I'm thinking they gotta go. As for the mile, I'll be there the whole weekend for sure.

Last edited by figit; 4/24/14 at 08:55 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 4/24/14, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Very very nice built OP. This is certainly one of, if not the highest quality TT kit on the market. I am very close to pulling the trigger on some type of power adder within the next month or two.
Joey I just noticed you're in Jersey, we are in the process of moving up to the Jim Thorpe area but if you ever wanted to stop by in the coming weeks to check out my setup, I'd be game. Heck we could make a day of it and detail the cars.
Old 4/25/14, 05:39 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OMG, this is exactly what I want to do; with a low compression Aluminator (with aftermarket sleeves) and Magnum XL T-56/twin disk!

So very envious right now! Killer build!

Last edited by Azrael; 4/25/14 at 05:47 AM.
Old 4/25/14, 07:40 AM
Cobra Member

This build is glorious and the twin turbo setup is the most beastly kit around! I would love to see that bad boy in action!
Old 4/25/14, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Azrael
OMG, this is exactly what I want to do; with a low compression Aluminator (with aftermarket sleeves) and Magnum XL T-56/twin disk! So very envious right now! Killer build!
Nice man! Yeah I'm planning on going with the XL and McLeod RXT Twin-Disk setup as well although I've got a buddy whose been running mid 6s in the 1/8 and high 8s in the 1/4 that has been beating on an MT-82 + McLeod RXT for nearly two years! He's eventually going with a glide but I may just hold onto my MT-82 and pair it with the RXT and see how it plays out. For the engine I plan to roll with the MPS 1000 coyote shortblock.
Old 4/25/14, 10:30 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by figit
Nice man! Yeah I'm planning on going with the XL and McLeod RXT Twin-Disk setup as well although I've got a buddy whose been running mid 6s in the 1/8 and high 8s in the 1/4 that has been beating on an MT-82 + McLeod RXT for nearly two years! He's eventually going with a glide but I may just hold onto my MT-82 and pair it with the RXT and see how it plays out. For the engine I plan to roll with the MPS 1000 coyote shortblock.
I just don't have much faith in the MT-82, as we have been without our Mustang this week because the 6th gear synchronizer decided to commit Seppuku for no apparent reason. So I have had the cruel and unusual punishment of driving around a rental Dodge Charger V6, with something wrong with the sound system, and an annoying flapping sound coming from the front suspension somewhere, for the last 5 days.
Old 4/27/14, 09:02 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Awesome build thread man. Very cool. Makes our TVS blown coyotes, archaic. Lol
Old 4/29/14, 07:47 AM
Banned

now that you've included pictures, I'm just floored.

I'd like a blower on my GT, but heck, I'll take the lowest/safest/weakest kit out there and be happy with 550rwhp. I figure if I can break them loose from a first gear roll with heavy me, heavy vert, and 3.31 gears, i can't even imagine a 3.73 equipped coupe with twins.
Old 4/29/14, 08:13 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by TheDivaDanielle

I'd like a blower on my GT, but heck, I'll take the lowest/safest/weakest kit out there and be happy with 550rwhp. I figure if I can break them loose from a first gear roll with heavy me, heavy vert, and 3.31 gears, i can't even imagine a 3.73 equipped coupe with twins.
Why would you spend upwards of 12k for this particular tt kit for only 550rwhp when a Paxton can get you there with ease for 5k and a lot less headaches?
Old 4/29/14, 08:17 AM
Banned

A.
Absolutely not what I said

B.
Show me a blower kit that ships and is installed for 5k.
Old 4/29/14, 08:23 AM
GT Member

A multi-stage boost controller (not an option with a supercharger) solves the breaking loose problem. 1st through 3rd can be capped at say 6psi while 4th through 6th take 8-10psi (or more on a built block etc.). That would be a fairly basic strategy though, you can even control the exact psi based on RPM so if you start breaking loost in X gear at X rpm you simply reign it in a bit until you've got more momentum. Today I'm getting my SSR GTV-01s with 285s installed, currently I'm breaking loose a set of 245 blizzak snow tires : o ) With a multi-stage delivery strategy you can still pull so hard it feels like you just pulled your parachute during a sky-dive/base-jump while still getting firm traction. Plus with 550whp your going to want more after a few months but be limited by pulley availability unless you bump up the blower but then your spending more than a 1200hp ready set of twins.

Last edited by figit; 4/29/14 at 09:25 AM.
Old 4/29/14, 08:37 AM
GT Member

Why would you spend upwards of 12k for this particular tt kit for only 550rwhp when a Paxton can get you there with ease for 5k and a lot less headaches?
The headaches associated with the majority of the turbo kits available for our cars are due to:

1. Horribly poor routing and component placement.
2. Made in china b/s turbochargers, wastegates, manifolds, downpipes, etc.
3. Poor tuning.

Based on your previous comments/posts you already know this but I wanted to mention the cause of the headaches since they are not inherent with a turbocharged platform. They are just done wrong.
Old 4/29/14, 10:18 AM
Bullitt Member

The headaches associated with the majority of the turbo kits available for our cars are due to:

1. Horribly poor routing and component placement.
2. Made in china b/s turbochargers, wastegates, manifolds, downpipes, etc.
3. Poor tuning.

Based on your previous comments/posts you already know this but I wanted to mention the cause of the headaches since they are not inherent with a turbocharged platform. They are just done wrong.
I agree 100%. Although I just don't see the point of going with an in depth turbo build (bc it certainly is more involved than throwing on a blower) for 550 wheel. I don't even think a twin kit can make that little. Wasn't the Armageddon kit tested at like 5 psi and made 600?
Old 4/29/14, 10:22 AM
GT Member

I agree 100%. Although I just don't see the point of going with an in depth turbo build (bc it certainly is more involved than throwing on a blower) for 550 wheel. I don't even think a twin kit can make that little. Wasn't the Armageddon kit tested at like 5 psi and made 600?
Yeah, makes total sense and your right, the base kit would be beyond that anyhow.
Old 4/29/14, 09:04 PM
Bullitt Member

A.
Absolutely not what I said

B.
Show me a blower kit that ships and is installed for 5k.
Beefcake paxton special. Not 5k my bad more like 4,700 shipped . Hes all over svt performance look him up youll see the deal.

Labor is a different story. I heard of people installing it in a days time as well. So if a shop charges 100 an hour you're looking at 800 for install. 5,500 all said and done.

But if all you want it 550 wheel throw 2k into nitrous and all the goodies along with it and whala. 550 and all the torque to "blow off the tires with 3.31s in 1st gear" if thats what you're looking for.

My point being is that if all you want is 550 wheel a twin kit isnt the way to go, its way overkill and a waste of money in my opinion. But to each his...errr...her own
Old 4/29/14, 11:51 PM

A multi-stage boost controller (not an option with a supercharger) solves the breaking loose problem. 1st through 3rd can be capped at say 6psi while 4th through 6th take 8-10psi (or more on a built block etc.). That would be a fairly basic strategy though, you can even control the exact psi based on RPM so if you start breaking loost in X gear at X rpm you simply reign it in a bit until you've got more momentum. Today I'm getting my SSR GTV-01s with 285s installed, currently I'm breaking loose a set of 245 blizzak snow tires : o ) With a multi-stage delivery strategy you can still pull so hard it feels like you just pulled your parachute during a sky-dive/base-jump while still getting firm traction. Plus with 550whp your going to want more after a few months but be limited by pulley availability unless you bump up the blower but then your spending more than a 1200hp ready set of twins.
Ive got nitto 305-35-20 dr and they barely hook up. But they hook up, again barely but Ive got an N/A with a few things (automatic btw). With your FI setup those 285 will not make a diff. Might as well spend it on your wife and/or kids (if applicable). mt dr or equivalent might do the trick.
Old 4/30/14, 09:09 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just out of curiosity, will it be a fairly easy swap when you get the new motor? Seems like it would be a PITA to remove the turbo kit, remove the motor, install the motor and install the turbo kit. Just trying to see what you're thoughts were cuz I'm in a similar situation with wanting to get a MMR motor or swap my internals among other options.

Quick Reply: Meet the Armageddon Twins ()...