Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Meet the Armageddon Twins ()...

Search this Thread

Old 4/23/14, 04:52 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's pretty killer man. I bet that car screams and pulls like a beast. Looks like a clean set up as well. Garret turbos have been around for a while.
I just have a couple of questions, if you don't mind. (I'm NOT being facetious or sarcastic when asking these. Just very curious.)
What are those pad like things on your shock towers in the engine bay? I assume to dissipate heat because of where the exhaust piping goes to the turbos? (For no heat soak?)
Also,....you have some killer numbers, which is awesome. I assume you are over 700hp on the stock block/internals, at the crank? Why do most say that over 600RWHP on the stock block can be deadly on the block/internals, but you're above that and not worried about your stock block/internals?
Thanks man. Enjoy that beast!
Thanks for the feedback! To answer your questions, those hideous looking felt-like pads came from the factory, maybe as part of the 2013/2013 update? I assumed all S197s had them but I guess not. That being the case I may just rip them out. Over 700hp to the crank for sure, I mention lower boost/power applications being capable of eating an engine with a bad tune. My point was that assuming the F/I system is sound, the highest priority should be ensuring the tune is right regardless of how much boost/power your putting down.

Speaking of stock components, my clutch is holding very firm too. In a drag strip situation I'd expect, especially if hot-lapping, the clutch to go out fairly quickly but if you look at the boost curve in the above, you'll see that at shift point I'm not hammering it by introducing gobs of boost, unlike what you'd find with a TVS/Belt-Fed supercharger setup. It's one of the reasons I'm so fond of turbos over belt-driven superchargers. So while sure, it's taking a heck of a lot more than a bone stock situation, power delivery is structured very strategically as to not go ***** to the wall until everything hooks.

Good info/feedback at the bottom of the comments on this video regarding what a stock block can take. This GT is running one of the first prototypes for the Armageddon kit which is a joint project between Kooks and Motiva Performance. Video:

Last edited by figit; 4/23/14 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Added video
Old 4/23/14, 06:25 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,682 Likes on 1,201 Posts
Originally Posted by figit
Thanks for the feedback! To answer your questions, those hideous looking felt-like pads came from the factory, maybe as part of the 2013/2013 update? I assumed all S197s had them but I guess not. That being the case I may just rip them out. Over 700hp to the crank for sure, I mention lower boost/power applications being capable of eating an engine with a bad tune. My point was that assuming the F/I system is sound, the highest priority should be ensuring the tune is right regardless of how much boost/power your putting down.
I agree with you 1000% on the tune Mike. No question about it. Bad tune, bad things happen, like the unfortunate #8 and so on.
My main concern would be the internals, like your rods and pistons/rings.
The car in the video is beast no doubt,...but I am sure that engine is a built engine and built with forged/hardened internals and so on. You can just see that front end trying to lift off the dyno. lol Nasty indeed.
Old 4/23/14, 06:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Three thoughts:
1)
2)

And 3)
Nailed it.
Old 4/23/14, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Figit,
Do you suspect that your later version motor is an asset at these power levels? To this day, nobody seems convinced if the coated piston version is better or worse than the earlier/under-piston oil squirter version.

Regardless, you may be my new hero. Thanks again for sharing your info...this has me seriously rethinking my priorities in life.
Old 4/23/14, 07:39 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Originally Posted by MRGTX
Thanks again for sharing your info...this has me seriously rethinking my priorities in life.
Man, you and me both.

Figit,
Your TP came with 3.73s, just like mine. My car stock rips through second gear in about 3 seconds under hard accel.... How much time would you say you stay in 2nd with this setup? Or 3rd for that matter

Also, I know you track your car. Are you concerned about things under the hood getting too hot for track days? Those things have got to increase the temp substantially. Cheers.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 4/23/14 at 07:45 PM.
Old 4/23/14, 08:36 PM
GT Member

Man, you and me both.

Figit,
Your TP came with 3.73s, just like mine. My car stock rips through second gear in about 3 seconds under hard accel.... How much time would you say you stay in 2nd with this setup? Or 3rd for that matter

Also, I know you track your car. Are you concerned about things under the hood getting too hot for track days? Those things have got to increase the temp substantially. Cheers.
The 3.73s are too short for the speed range I need to hit in 5th, so I'm going with 3.08s in a few weeks. As it stands, second gear goes by fast enough to suppress the feeling of the front end ever settling for a moment. 1st through 4th is a straight up grabbing gears experience. I've got a camera mount on the way, I'll be certain to get a lot of footage to share as is before throwing the 3.08s in.

As for tracking the car, the reason you see no heat-wrap with this kit is because the entire cold and hot-side air flow passes through the appropriate parts at the right time and place. There are also no abrupt curves in any of the piping. Kooks did a hell of a job on the piping. Inefficiencies and/or a lazy layout causes gobs of heat. I'm still working on formatting the photos but when I get them up, you'll notice that the fuse-box, battery, washer bottle, and ECU are all moved and fastened with perfectly fitting brackets that are included to make way for the proper routing of the pipes and placement of the TiAL wastegates and BOV. The downside is the install is much more involved. The instructions are clear and the entire process is well documented, even the small parts are bagged and tagged, but it just takes longer than I would have expected. I didn't care though, I'd rather it take twice as long and be right for the life of the car.

I geeked out on heat-soak potential before moving forward and the lead engineer actually challenged me to heat-soak the Fluidyne I/C via hard track days : o ) I will say that we drove 8 hours back to Philly from NC with 4 stops, most just quick rest stops, with me doing nonsense pulls the whole time and everything stayed very cool. I'm running DashCommand on a galaxy tab being fed by an OBDLink MX and monitor everything like a hawk.
Old 4/23/14, 08:46 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The 3.73s are too short for the speed range I need to hit in 5th, so I'm going with 3.08s in a few weeks. As it stands, second gear goes by fast enough to suppress the feeling of the front end ever settling for a moment. 1st through 4th is a straight up grabbing gears experience. I've got a camera mount on the way, I'll be certain to get a lot of footage to share as is before throwing the 3.08s in.

Interesting you'd go that far since the torque curve takes awhile to build...
Old 4/23/14, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Interesting you'd go that far since the torque curve takes awhile to build...
Which is part of the reason I'm backing my numbers into 5th and omitting 6th entirely.
Old 4/23/14, 08:51 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
Figit,
Do you suspect that your later version motor is an asset at these power levels? To this day, nobody seems convinced if the coated piston version is better or worse than the earlier/under-piston oil squirter version.

Regardless, you may be my new hero. Thanks again for sharing your info...this has me seriously rethinking my priorities in life.
Hey no problem and thanks! Seems the coated pistons are working well in ultra high-performance builds, but the squirter configuration has also held up very well. Personally I don't believe it matters much in either case-so long as you're using one or the other, or both.
Old 4/23/14, 08:53 PM
Post *****

Which is part of the reason I'm backing my numbers into 5th and omitting 6th entirely.

Oh right - you're building for standing mile.
Old 4/23/14, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Oh right - you're building for standing mile.
Yep, I figure since our cars have the aerodynamic profile of an aircraft carrier going sideways, why the heck not!
Old 4/23/14, 08:56 PM
Post *****

Yep, I figure since our cars have the aerodynamic profile of an aircraft carrier going sideways, why the heck not!
Old 4/24/14, 01:50 PM
GT Member

As promised, the install pics w/ captions by Armageddon/TruDyno Performance are in!
Old 4/24/14, 01:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks crazy awesome. I bet it sounds like music with those quad tips.
Old 4/24/14, 01:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Getportfolio
Looks crazy awesome. I bet it sounds like music with those quad tips.
Thanks! As it turns out, I opted to go with Kooks singles out back for now. They breath far better than the OEM/Shelby quads but I've still got the Shelby rear valance installed. I may eventually go with Kook's new black coated quad-tipped shelby axle-backs, not sure yet though. Here is a pic of them, they are pretty killer but I don't think they are shipping just yet.
Attached Images  
Old 4/24/14, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Figit, what's your target speed for your standing mile with this setup?
Old 4/24/14, 02:24 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
What an amazing build. Truly impressed with that monster.
Old 4/24/14, 02:34 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Thanks! As it turns out, I opted to go with Kooks singles out back for now. They breath far better than the OEM/Shelby quads but I've still got the Shelby rear valance installed. I may eventually go with Kook's new black coated quad-tipped shelby axle-backs, not sure yet though. Here is a pic of them, they are pretty killer but I don't think they are shipping just yet.
Nice. It gets even better . I like this thread.
Old 4/24/14, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Figit, what's your target speed for your standing mile with this setup?
I'll need to be north of 174 at the Michigan Mile this July. There happens to be a heavy concentration of GT-Rs at this particular venue so regardless of where I net out, it will be fun pitting my brute against them ; o )
Old 4/24/14, 05:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Very very nice built OP. This is certainly one of, if not the highest quality TT kit on the market. I am very close to pulling the trigger on some type of power adder within the next month or two. Choices as far as TT kits go is either this kit or the fluid turbo kit which is said to come out sometime in the summer. I got a few questions for you.

1) since i can no longer use my LT headers and mid pipe, which mid pipe did you go with. any fitment issues?

2) did you get the base kit or did you upgrade the turbos at all? I no they have a few options one being the billet turbos or something like that. I'm not going for crazy numbers as my motor is stock but once i built my motor i would certainly like to crank up the boost.

3) Did you buy an additional boost controller with it? I think i would like the option to go with a low boost/high boost with the click of a button. IE for street daily use run like 7-8 psi. When at the track or feeling risky run a higher boost application like 10 -12 psi.

4) Any idle issues? I no there are some idle issues with the hellion kit. Some being tune related and some kit related.

5) You said you used no heat wrap or blankets. Do you recommend using some just for the extra piece of mind or is it really not necessary.

6) All the 5.0s i see it on either have the boss manifold or are actual boss's. Do you need to get the boss manifold, it says on the site its built specificially for the boss manifold, do it work at all on the stock manifold?

That should do it OP. Goodluck with it and can't wait to hear some vids! That big Tial BOV sound must be unreall!

Quick Reply: Meet the Armageddon Twins ()...