5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Magnaflow Catback 15589

Search this Thread

Old 8/5/10, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have one on my car, with the X-pipe and factory cats. I sell a lot of Magnaflow because they fit, the pricing is good (we all pretty much sell for a set MAP level) and I add free shipping. But the biggest reason I have one, is because it sounds really, really good.

I put the system on first, before the X so I could assess the change. The 15589 lets you hear the car. Still a very nice tone, not overly loud by any stretch, and no drone either. Adding the X-pipe changes the tone, sounds less rumbling and more like a smaller, higher revving (relative since we can turn 7k) engine. You still know it's a V-8 but X's give a distinctive tone.

I've tried to get clips, but I never get anything that you really hear that well. All I can tell you is that I'm very happy with mine. I'm 36 and can't stand loud for the sake of loud, but I want to hear my car and I'm not sorry in the least, given the number of brands I carry, that I put a Magnaflow on.
Old 8/6/10, 10:37 AM
GT Member

How much for the COMPLETE Cat back Street series System???
Old 8/6/10, 03:00 PM
Banned

hey im in the lehigh valley not far from u guys.

sam u own a shop?
Old 8/7/10, 05:33 PM
GT Member

I just ordered the Magnaflow 15589 kit!

Last edited by jetlag; 8/7/10 at 05:34 PM.
Old 8/10/10, 10:51 PM
GT Member

Ok so silly question.

Can I install this kit on jackstands? Hah. The street series kit will be arriving tomorrow so I wanted to go ahead and remove the stock exhaust and have the car ready for install.

Everything is disconnected but I can't get the over the axle pipes out. Is there a trick? I know if the car was on a lift, I'd easily be able to angle the pipes down and out. I don't mind cutting the stock pipes, but if I can't get the stock pipes out without cutting, that probably means I can't get the new ones in.

Also, I had the rearend unloaded, but these **** gas tanks get in the way.

Last edited by jetlag; 8/10/10 at 11:33 PM.
Old 8/12/10, 04:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Turboba6
How much for the COMPLETE Cat back Street series System???
Magnaflow has a M.A.P. policy (that's minimum advertised pricing) that none of us are supposed to drop below. So I offer free shipping on Magnaflow parts, so the price you see is the price you pay (unless we have PA sales tax--and then we can discuss how to get your business). I usually split tax with PA customers on these.

Well, the 15589 which is the muffler/intermediate pipes is $748.91 and here's a link (and there is a picture of it): http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...211&ModelID=35

Now, you might consider "complete" to also include an X-pipe... after all those are also behind the cats. The 16398 is $396.08, again with free shipping.

There are other X's. One with high-flow cats, one with no cats...

If you see someone selling for less. Let me know and if I can verify it, I'll do my best to match the price.
Old 8/13/10, 01:08 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
If you see someone selling for less. Let me know and if I can verify it, I'll do my best to match the price.
PlanetMagnaflow sells them for $600 shipped. But yeah, obviously that is not the advertised price..hah

Last edited by jetlag; 8/13/10 at 01:09 AM.
Old 8/13/10, 09:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Hmmm, I just checked their site. Same price listed that I have....
Old 8/13/10, 01:33 PM
GT Member

Hmmm, I just checked their site. Same price listed that I have....

Yeah, that's why I said it wasn't advertised. "Make an offer"
Old 8/13/10, 02:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

That's pretty shady, and interesting to know. That's exactly the reason that Magnaflow and others have gone to MAP policies so everyone has a fair shot at selling the product. Because what happens is folks start playing pricing games and it runs smaller companies, like me, out of the game--and we don't want to, and often cannot, sell a product like that. It's the Wal-mart game.

I'd rather buy something from my local hardware store if I can than Wal-mart because of that.

You make me an offer if you like (via PM please). Please include your address so I know where it'd be shipping to.

But $600 shipped I can't do. At that I'd be in the hole after buying it, shipping it, and paying credit card processing fees.

It's really sad when an 800 pound gorilla stomps on folks, especially when those folks are supporting vendors, actually drive and like the same kinds of cars, and know something about them. Those big guys might have someone like that there, but pretty much are just merchandise movers and folks collecting a paycheck.

Last edited by sam strano; 8/13/10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 8/13/10, 02:17 PM
GT Member

I actually already bought it, you made that post saying "if you see someone selling for less, let me know and I'll verify" .

It shipped on Monday and I got it Wednesday. Not trying to start crap with you or anything like that. But it's a legit company and pretty good prices. $150 off is a good discount..hah

Last edited by jetlag; 8/13/10 at 02:19 PM.
Old 8/13/10, 02:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Great, enjoy your system.
Old 8/13/10, 02:31 PM
GT Member

That's pretty shady, and interesting to know. That's exactly the reason that Magnaflow and others have gone to MAP policies so everyone has a fair shot at selling the product. Because what happens is folks start playing pricing games and it runs smaller companies, like me, out of the game--and we don't want to, and often cannot, sell a product like that. It's the Wal-mart game.

I'd rather buy something from my local hardware store if I can than Wal-mart because of that.
Sam, I definitely understand your point and it is definitely a ****ty situation. Not just in car parts, but as you said, other small businesses.

"Ballin' on a budget" is a big thing with a lot of people. That $150 goes a long way on the addition of an X pipe or tune or CAI.

But, no sense in talking about it anymore.

----------

Back on topic, I got the kit installed and it sounds good! Definitely has a new sound, but not loud enough for me. I'll be adding an Offroad X-pipe soon.
Old 8/13/10, 06:20 PM
Bullitt Member

Jet just wait untill you do the O/R X-pipe,

it will be loud allright!!!! those stock cats restrict a lot of sound.I'm sure you will be happy with the sound after the X-pipe.

your car will probably be louder than mine with the comp series catback/highflow cats

and my car is loud
Old 8/13/10, 06:43 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by zilla8
Jet just wait untill you do the O/R X-pipe,

it will be loud allright!!!! those stock cats restrict a lot of sound.I'm sure you will be happy with the sound after the X-pipe.

your car will probably be louder than mine with the comp series catback/highflow cats

and my car is loud

Comp Series should be louder than the Street series.

Lethal Perf. posted on svtperformance.com the O/R X and Comp setup but honestly, I didn't like it. Even though they said it wasn't raspy, that's all I heard..hah But it could also be my cheapo eMachines speakers.
Old 8/13/10, 07:42 PM
Bullitt Member

The comp series is louder but keep in mind I have cats.That x-pipe without cats will be pretty loud even with the street series.I think a lot of us myself included are use to the sound of the old Fox 5.0 and the 3V 4.6 motors.

this new 5.0 just does not have that sound.Allmost all of the systems will produce the rasp if you rev it high enough.I'm very happy with my sound,especially the incar sound when going up through the gears.

whats really fun is all the compliments you get from other owners.
I think a lot of people believe this is the way the new 5.0 sounds stock.I still have new dealer plates on my car even though I have a few mods
Old 8/15/10, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

The comp series is louder but keep in mind I have cats.That x-pipe without cats will be pretty loud even with the street series.I think a lot of us myself included are use to the sound of the old Fox 5.0 and the 3V 4.6 motors.

this new 5.0 just does not have that sound.Allmost all of the systems will produce the rasp if you rev it high enough.I'm very happy with my sound,especially the incar sound when going up through the gears.

whats really fun is all the compliments you get from other owners.
I think a lot of people believe this is the way the new 5.0 sounds stock.I still have new dealer plates on my car even though I have a few mods
Just ordered the magnaflow competition series catback and xpipe. Ill post a video after i get them on. Cant wait!
Old 8/15/10, 05:05 PM
Bullitt Member

good deal Ethan you will see your gas mileage drop once you get that exhaust
Old 8/15/10, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

good deal Ethan you will see your gas mileage drop once you get that exhaust
By how much are you thinking?
Old 8/15/10, 07:21 PM
Cobra Member

Brought it to a dyno yesterday. I plan on bringing it back when i get the exhaust to see what the numbers are
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scan_Doc0003.pdf (894.1 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Ethanjbeau; 8/15/10 at 07:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow Catback 15589