Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lowering Springs on a 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 7/30/10, 01:15 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stinger1982
have you used a plumb and actually measured. That tells the true tale.

The axles are very tight to center from AAI, but even if that wasnt the case it makes a bigger case for the adj bar as you would need to account for in consitant attaching points.

Steeda part #555-2551
Price $159.95
Comes complete with everything you need.

Maximum Motorsports 05+ kit. I have them on my car
I also got some eibach camber bolts to go with my steeda sport springs in the front, helps out with the alignment. Down the line after I get some rims im going to upgrade to some camber plates
Old 8/1/10, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, with Eibach Sportlines, what bad is happening to my car w/ nothing added but springs? Also, aside from the P/H bar, what else would I need to "do it right"? I was told nothing about any of this by the guys at the shop that did the lowering on my car.
Old 8/1/10, 10:22 AM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Synapse
So, with Eibach Sportlines, what bad is happening to my car w/ nothing added but springs? Also, aside from the P/H bar, what else would I need to "do it right"? I was told nothing about any of this by the guys at the shop that did the lowering on my car.
Besides the adj panhard bar, you probably want to get an alignment.
Old 8/1/10, 03:42 PM
Banned

i didnt realize u had to do the panhard bar
Old 8/1/10, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Here's what you need to "do it right" on a budget:

Springs
Adjustable Panhard Bar
Cut bumpstops in half
AT LEAST get your alignment checked.

From there you can add the following to "go the extra mile":

Control arm relocation brackets
Upgraded control arms
Upgraded shocks/struts
Caster/camber plates

I'm sure there's more, but that's the very basics. In the least you need to fill the first list to make sure you're not messing up anything by skipping a step.
Old 8/1/10, 08:51 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I would like to chime in here:
to do it right on a budget

springs
panhard bar
I recommend shocks that are valved to go with a higher spring rate.

to TRUELY do it right:
bump steer kit.

if your going to track the car:
caster/camber plate

the stock control arms are fine unless you are a hardcore road race guy or plan to drag race quiet a bit.
Old 8/1/10, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

springs
panhard bar

to TRUELY do it right:
bump steer kit.

if your going to track the car:
caster/camber plate

the stock control arms are fine unless you are a hardcore road race guy or plan to drag race quiet a bit.
Ok Shaun, It looks like on this base 2011 Steeds Sports addition, they only put on Springs / 20 in' wheels and tires for suspension upgrade. Or am I missing something?
http://www.steeda.com/news/steeda_ne...rt-mustang.php
Old 8/1/10, 09:30 PM
I am Shauny Clause
MOTM July 2010 Winner

I will ask Gus when I speak to him tommorow.

I am sure they just forgot to list it.

Last edited by Stinger1982; 8/1/10 at 11:54 PM.
Old 8/2/10, 10:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've added springs only on countless cars with no issue.
Budget minded and on the street 90% of the time? $199 springs and alignment. Camber bolts may be needed, but not always. My 2011 didn't need them.

Have a little more Do the adj. panhard bar to center the rear.

I tracked my GT500 at VIR 4-5 (2 & 3 day)events with ONLY springs, adj. panhard bar, alignment, STOCK shocks, STOCK struts and STOCK sway bars. Passed many guys with the FRPP and "other" full suspension packages too.

Put the extra money in event admission, not extra parts.
Old 8/2/10, 10:28 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe in cutting the bumpstops unless the manufacturer of the springs tells you to do so. I've seen too many people who do this and destroy something because they had no sort of protection after removing them.

With some vehicles, it's inevitable to remove/cut them, but I would avoid it if possible.
Old 8/2/10, 11:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
I don't believe in cutting the bumpstops unless the manufacturer of the springs tells you to do so. I've seen too many people who do this and destroy something because they had no sort of protection after removing them.

With some vehicles, it's inevitable to remove/cut them, but I would avoid it if possible.
Looks to be just over an inch of travel on the FRPP "P" springs (1") before the stops come into play..

Last edited by Modshack; 8/2/10 at 11:57 AM.
Old 8/2/10, 12:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Overboost

Did they remove them or cut them? I cut mine in half- took off roughly an inch after a 1.5" drop. My ride was total garbage because the bumpstops were hitting on everything. Now it's an almost stock ride quality. If you're hitting something hard enough to bottom out the shocks you're not driving right. (Not directing that specifically at you, Overboost.)

For a 1.5" drop the stock length bumpstops are simply too long.
Old 8/2/10, 05:03 PM

springs
panhard bar
to TRUELY do it right:
bump steer kit.
Which PHB?

So far loving the Sportlines with no problems here. 19's keep the ride quality compared to the 20's.

Old 8/2/10, 05:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Which PHB?

So far loving the Sportlines with no problems here. 19's keep the ride quality compared to the 20's.

Beautiful!! Do you have sport, ultra ,or extreme sport?
Old 8/2/10, 06:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Which PHB?

I am very genuinely baffled that so many people claim there is such a difference between a 19" and a 20". I can't envision the difference being anything more than either perceived or grossly exaggerated in one's mind.

Not to directly call you out. I mean no offense; I'm just amused that so many people think a .5" radius is so incredibly noticeable.
Old 8/2/10, 07:26 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Freshmeat
I am very genuinely baffled that so many people claim there is such a difference between a 19" and a 20". I can't envision the difference being anything more than either perceived or grossly exaggerated in one's mind.

Not to directly call you out. I mean no offense; I'm just amused that so many people think a .5" radius is so incredibly noticeable.
Ever notice a bad drywall job? A LOT less than .5".
Old 8/2/10, 07:36 PM
Mach 1 Member

The CDC kit is a steal for cars with 20" wheels and big tires.

Old 8/2/10, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by GJM20115.0
Beautiful!! Do you have sport, ultra ,or extreme sport?
Eibach Sportlines with the new bumpstops they provide. I had the Pro-Kit on my last stang, and I wanted to go lower... this is lower, lol.
Originally Posted by Freshmeat
Oh young grasshopper. I own 2 sets of wheels, these stock 19's and the Bullitt Motorsport 20's, both have been on this car multiple times to compare ride at stock height and lowered, and I assure you, there is a large difference. You are failing to take into account rubber compounds associated with a performance 20" tire vs the stock tire. The rim diameter isn't the only thing changing, the rim width changed also, and with that the tire profile and make up are different. The 19x8.5 has a taller side wall and is more rounded of a profile from the contact patch when compared to a 20x10 wheel with a tire designed to keep the over all tire height the same +/-a few mm. The tire on the 20 has a shorter sidewall and goes straight up from the contact patch so ther is less meat in vertical as well as diagonal to absorb the impacts the road throws at it. Also, taller side walls with narrower contact patches have more give than a shorter sidewall with a larger contact patch. Think smashing a sphere vs smashing an oval of similar volumes both secured at points on the lateral ends, the sphere will have more vertical travel and spring vs the oval, but the oval will have less lateral travel. That's the point of getting wider and taller rims, to increase the amount of wheel that is metal, not rubber, to prevent flex under heavy driving, Like autoX, which 18s and 19s work, but 20's are too tall becaus they dont flex enough. Drag racing uses short rim height and wider wheels to allow tire flex and hook up on large contact patches. You need to think in 3d and take into account more variables than just 2d and one single variable changing, its not that simple. Again, I'm no professional at wheels/tires/suspension... but I used to be pretty **** good at Math, Physics, and Chemistry back in my college days. When I get home from work tomorrow I'll draw a pic and show you what I mean, it's kinda hard to describe.
Old 8/3/10, 05:45 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Modshack
Looks to be just over an inch of travel on the FRPP "P" springs (1") before the stops come into play..

So are you going to cut the bumpstops then? or leave them stock height?
Old 8/3/10, 05:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Here are some better pics of the FRPP 1inch drop. I am getting more impressed with the ride everyday as they are now settling in. I really think this is how the car should have come stock.
Attached Thumbnails Lowering Springs on a 5.0?-0731101516.jpg   Lowering Springs on a 5.0?-0731101516a.jpg   Lowering Springs on a 5.0?-0731101517.jpg   Lowering Springs on a 5.0?-0731101517a.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lowering Springs on a 5.0?