Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lower Control Arm discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/10, 02:04 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had my mind pretty well set on the 1" drop because of the roads here in MI, and not wanting to slam it. I want something with an increased spring rate though, and they seem like a solid choice. Just wanted some counterpoint to the subject. I'll definitely give the Steeda another look.
Old 12/7/10, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think the FRPP springs are the worst choice----just don't think they are the best choice. Eibach in general tend to be a little iffy on long term durability. Not unheard of for them to sag a bit. I know Mike's Shelby (the one I raced for 3 years) is a bit lower now than when it was new, and it only has 4k miles on it.

I like the Sports better. I think they handle every bit as well, and on imperfect roads, better as they are more supple than the FRPP's. And Hypercoil makes killer springs. For instance, let's look at the Hypercoil vs. Eibach Race springs. Hypercoil guarantees theirs to be within 2% of nominal rate. Eibach... 5%. And fwiw, the rear springs in the Steeda Sports I use are in fact Hypercoil coil-over springs.

FWIW, some other things I find important. The springs are checked for cracks before and after coiling. They are all checked for rate. And that 2% variance I spoke of--they claim that they'll stay that way always... And I've never had one yield on me but have had Eibach's give up.
Old 12/7/10, 05:06 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So the FRPP springs are in fact Eibach re-brands?
Old 12/7/10, 08:54 PM

Sam,

Besides the drop in ride height, will the Steeda Sport Springs offer a significant upgrade in handling over the stock springs in a Brembo car?
Old 12/8/10, 10:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Overboost
So the FRPP springs are in fact Eibach re-brands?
Eibach makes the FRPP springs, and swaybars too...
Old 12/8/10, 10:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by copracer288
Sam,

Besides the drop in ride height, will the Steeda Sport Springs offer a significant upgrade in handling over the stock springs in a Brembo car?
There are customers here with them installed and to a person they find the car better. I do as well. The rear springs actually don't get a lot stiffer, but the fronts do--and frankly that's a desired change as Ford has the car very rear-biased in terms of wheel rate. In fact I then go further and go a little smaller on the base size of the rear bar, and a touch bigger on the front to get the wheel rates more when I want them.

This is always sticky because folks sometimes get bent out of shape when you make a change that might be seen as "the wrong way". Often folks think bigger is better and that's not always the case. I have a 2011 Brembo car. I run the hell out of it. I've had an '07 GT, and spend years in an '07 Shelby GT too. And those are just cars I've personally had or had long term possession of to build a base.

The bottom line is the Shelby handles better than the Brembo car. The Brembo car has much better OEM tires and so you see a lot of test that make it look like the better handling car because it just has more grip. But I find the '11 car to be more twitchy, so I make changes to the wheel rate via springs and bars to bring the balance back into what I prefer which is something you can really lean on, and doesn't hate bumps.