Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed

Search this Thread

Old 6/27/14, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK STANG

Yes, they most certainly will make it louder in the upper rpm band
Thanks. Looks like that will probably be my next mod. Followed by a GT500 spoiler from Ford, and then getting it painted. I want to keep the gurney flap unpainted on it.

Although, I hate the stock suspension... too many mods I want to do and don't have the money... I'm looking at the FRPP handling pack.

Last edited by RC13GT; 6/27/14 at 01:16 PM.
Old 6/27/14, 01:26 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I'm going with Ford Racing, had them on my 2010 GT THEY WERE NICE PIPES & great polished billet tips, no drone & mellow
Old 6/27/14, 02:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I got my GT500 OTA pipes today but I can't get my factory OTA pipes out from under the car. I can't get the car up high enough to get the over the axle part of the pipes out. I guess I'm just going to put it all back together and have to make an appointment somewhere to get them installed. As usual for me, nothing can be easy.

I have the front of the car up on ramps and the rear of the car is up higher than the front on jack stands and I still don't have room to get the pipes out.

Wayne
Old 6/27/14, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

I finally got them changed out. I just had to jack it up in a different area to get enough axle drop to get them out and the new ones in. I posted some pictures in my thread in the 2011-2014 section.

Wayne
Old 6/28/14, 09:10 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 70monte
I finally got them changed out. I just had to jack it up in a different area to get enough axle drop to get them out and the new ones in. I posted some pictures in my thread in the 2011-2014 section.

Wayne
Originally Posted by 70monte
Well, I got my GT500 OTA pipes today but I can't get my factory OTA pipes out from under the car. I can't get the car up high enough to get the over the axle part of the pipes out. I guess I'm just going to put it all back together and have to make an appointment somewhere to get them installed. As usual for me, nothing can be easy.

I have the front of the car up on ramps and the rear of the car is up higher than the front on jack stands and I still don't have room to get the pipes out.

Wayne
Awesome, how do they sound?
Old 6/28/14, 12:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Awesome, how do they sound?

It sounds pretty good. Louder at cold start and at idle. Seemed a little louder on acceleration. Car downshifts quicker when you start accelerating then it did before. It almost feels like I lost a little bit of low end torque but I'm not sure. I'm sure the PCM will adjust for the more free flowing pipes as I drive it more. All in all, I'm pretty happy with the pipe change.

Wayne
Old 7/1/14, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by laserred38
No, the resonators come that way. There's a dent on the other one, you just can't see it because it's on top.
+1, those dents are factory kinks that come on all resonators for some reason.
Thanks guys, this helps my peace of mind a lot. I thought it got damaged in shipment by the way it looked.

I think I am going to pick up a set of these Lethal Performance over axle pipes too. I have been leaning toward the Corsa Sport mufflers on my car. They are a little more tame than the Corsa Extremes but will allow me to get an offroad H-pipe later without sounding too loud. I really fell in love with Corsa with my last car. They have full throttle bite but with a mellow sounding part throttle sound without any drone. They are also a straight through design.
Old 7/1/14, 05:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
I have been leaning toward the Corsa Sport mufflers on my car. They are a little more tame than the Corsa Extremes but will allow me to get an offroad H-pipe later without sounding too loud. I really fell in love with Corsa with my last car. They have full throttle bite but with a mellow sounding part throttle sound without any drone. They are also a straight through design.
I have the GT500 axle backs (single tip)
But I did a resonator delete while they were being installed.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but "an over axle pipe", is that basically a resonator delete? I've been trying to read up on it to find out.

I'm asking because I'm still thinking of pulling the trigger on the Boss side exhaust paired with the GT500's, but I could maybe add the lethal over axle pipes as well? Or as RaceRed suggested, maybe a tamer version so it's not ALL-THE-TIME-LOUD.

GT500's + Boss Side Exhaust + over axle pipe = too much?
At the point I'm sure a lot if the more hardcore fans would say "with the money you've spent, you'd have been better off getting a true full exhaust"

That may be true, but guys are stubborn!
I might end up getting one in 2-3 years but right now this is the oath I'm going on, unless I get a resounding NO!
Old 7/2/14, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Okay guys so got some videos up.

This first video is a cold start taken from 13 feet away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClruKj7hg4w

This second video is taken after a 30 minute drive, so the car is fully warmed up. Cars starts off idling then the revs go 2k, 3k, 4k, then 6.5k rpm. Also taken from 13 feet away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOP_eTT0RXE

Enjoy
Finally had a chance to catch up and watch the vids. Nice, very very aggressive sounding. That setup would be PERFECT for my track days when I don't care how laud the car is.

For daily driving I have to stick with GT500's though. These pipes are tempting me though.

Have you noticed any changes in the power curve, or throttle response? I wonder if there are any noticeable flat spots in the RPM range. In some cars resonators are used to maintain back pressure for curve tuning reasons. I don't know if Mustang is also in the same category, but I'd love to hear your opinion.
Old 7/2/14, 08:49 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Moejoe_989
I have the GT500 axle backs (single tip) But I did a resonator delete while they were being installed. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but "an over axle pipe", is that basically a resonator delete? I've been trying to read up on it to find out. I'm asking because I'm still thinking of pulling the trigger on the Boss side exhaust paired with the GT500's, but I could maybe add the lethal over axle pipes as well? Or as RaceRed suggested, maybe a tamer version so it's not ALL-THE-TIME-LOUD. GT500's + Boss Side Exhaust + over axle pipe = too much? At the point I'm sure a lot if the more hardcore fans would say "with the money you've spent, you'd have been better off getting a true full exhaust" That may be true, but guys are stubborn! I might end up getting one in 2-3 years but right now this is the oath I'm going on, unless I get a resounding NO!
More or less, these lethal over axle pipes are resonator deletes with the same larger 2.75 inch tubing and less restrictions and bends compared to the stock pipes. I think if you already have resonator deletes then it's gonna be a east of time and money to go out and purchase these pipes . The reason I did (or maybe others might want as well) is because I wanted to keep my factory pipes in tact just in case something changes down the road.

To answer your question though I do think the boss h pipe mated to your resonator deletes and gt500 mufflers would sound awesome
Old 7/2/14, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
Finally had a chance to catch up and watch the vids. Nice, very very aggressive sounding. That setup would be PERFECT for my track days when I don't care how laud the car is. For daily driving I have to stick with GT500's though. These pipes are tempting me though. Have you noticed any changes in the power curve, or throttle response? I wonder if there are any noticeable flat spots in the RPM range. In some cars resonators are used to maintain back pressure for curve tuning reasons. I don't know if Mustang is also in the same category, but I'd love to hear your opinion.
Thank you! I agree about the loudness, hence why it's my weekend car. It gets very loud especially from outside the car. People can hear you coming a long way away lol. Although because there is no drone in the cabin, with the windows up its not actually too bad.

Yes I have noticed a slightly better throttle response compared to stock which was very welcoming. Did not notice much other than the added noise below 4000 rpm but up top in the power band I feel as though the car pulls a bit harder. I believe there was a dyno test done with these lethal pipes that netted a solid 8-9whp matted with a pair of axlebacks
Old 7/3/14, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback. This mod is definitely on my wish list now.
Old 7/4/14, 05:54 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did the pipes come in a bunch of sections in a box or were they two pieces? I'm curious because I'm thinking of getting them but have to have them shipped here to Germany. I need more sound before I get an H pipe and a tune.
Old 7/6/14, 11:50 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stevedotmil
Did the pipes come in a bunch of sections in a box or were they two pieces? I'm curious because I'm thinking of getting them but have to have them shipped here to Germany. I need more sound before I get an H pipe and a tune.
Yes the pipes do come in four separate pieces. The box was surprisingly not that large so it would be less of a hassle moving it around rather than a full catback in a shipping box.

In terms of sound, it helps substantially mated to my Roush axlebacks, and i highly recommend them
Old 7/9/14, 12:21 PM

Hey man! Thought I recognized your car on here haha. It's Jay from C&C.

Just wondering how the drone was at cruising speeds in 5th and 6th with the windows up. Very tempted to get a set of these combined with my FRPP x-pipe and Borla S-types, however since mine is a DD, if there's a ton of drone I might just cancel this idea.

Any chance you'll be at Katie's or Kohl's C&C this weekend? Would like to take a spin and see how the inside noise is. Thanks boss!
Old 7/10/14, 12:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
Hey man! Thought I recognized your car on here haha. It's Jay from C&C. Just wondering how the drone was at cruising speeds in 5th and 6th with the windows up. Very tempted to get a set of these combined with my FRPP x-pipe and Borla S-types, however since mine is a DD, if there's a ton of drone I might just cancel this idea. Any chance you'll be at Katie's or Kohl's C&C this weekend? Would like to take a spin and see how the inside noise is. Thanks boss!
Hey man how you been? Cool we finally found each other on here haha. With my roush axlebacks, there is no noticeable increase in drone in any gear or rpm. There is the slightest increase in overall noise within the cabin but nothing major at all. I think yours will be even quieter inside because of your x pipe, which I heard tones down drone. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the next two weekends but I will be back the weekend of the 26th if your free then I'd be more than happy to let you take it around and hear it inside
Old 7/10/14, 07:09 AM

Hey man how you been? Cool we finally found each other on here haha. With my roush axlebacks, there is no noticeable increase in drone in any gear or rpm. There is the slightest increase in overall noise within the cabin but nothing major at all. I think yours will be even quieter inside because of your x pipe, which I heard tones down drone. Unfortunately I'll be out of town for the next two weekends but I will be back the weekend of the 26th if your free then I'd be more than happy to let you take it around and hear it inside
Busy man... very busy haha. Thanks for the details on the OTA. I think with the Borla's already being drone-free, shouldn't be bad at all inside the cabin. I don't mind more noise inside at all, it's just drone that makes your eardrums bleed haha. That might do it for me... probably going to order them in the next few weeks! Hearing yours at Katie's C&C with the new OTA plus the Roush AB's made me jealous!
Old 7/10/14, 10:06 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by VQ to 5-OH
Busy man... very busy haha. Thanks for the details on the OTA. I think with the Borla's already being drone-free, shouldn't be bad at all inside the cabin. I don't mind more noise inside at all, it's just drone that makes your eardrums bleed haha. That might do it for me... probably going to order them in the next few weeks! Hearing yours at Katie's C&C with the new OTA plus the Roush AB's made me jealous!
Thanks man. Yea honestly they should sound very good paired with your Borlas and more deep and throaty without adding any drone. That's what these OTA did with my roush and should be the same minus some of the upper rpm rasp (roush are just naturally raspy).

Trust me, I hate drone too, thats the reason I went with roush over the flowmaster outlaws. If you end up ordering the pipes before I get back I'd love to hear them. Think they will sound really good with your setup