Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed

Search this Thread

Old 6/19/14, 08:36 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed

So I posted a while back about possibly mating up the Lethal Performance over axle pipes along with my Roush axle backs. Well I ended up ordering them and finally got them installed today. Wow, what a difference in tone. At first start up, the exhaust is much deeper and throatier. Just driving around, there is much more volume but not a lot of rasp up until around 3500 rpm. After 3500rpm however, things get raspy but honestly its not as bad as some have been saying it would be. I did several WOT pulls and I was pleasantly surprised by the extra added noise. Also these being the Gen2 version, I had no problems with fitment, even though I'm lowered on eibach sportlines. So all in all, I would recommend it, heres some pics of the new over axle pipes getting installed on my car and comparison with the stock ones.
Attached Thumbnails Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed-photo-2-4-.jpg   Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed-photo-2-5-.jpg   Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed-photo-3-2-.jpg  

Last edited by BLK STANG; 6/19/14 at 09:07 AM.
Old 6/19/14, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Nice! The new pipes, do they have resonators on them? I'm guessing not. I'd consider doing this with my GT500s instead of cutting out the resonators.
Old 6/19/14, 09:02 PM
GT Member

Thank you, and you are correct, its 2.75 in. piping with no resonators so volume and tome will both increase. Ill try and get some before/after clips of the exhaust
Old 6/20/14, 06:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Thank you, and you are correct, its 2.75 in. piping with no resonators so volume and tome will both increase. Ill try and get some before/after clips of the exhaust
Read my mind, I was going to ask if you post some sound clips.
Old 6/20/14, 10:17 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
These are strictly just over axle pipes? Where did you get them from? 2.75? Aren't our stock over axle pipes 3?
Old 6/20/14, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
These are strictly just over axle pipes? Where did you get them from? 2.75? Aren't our stock over axle pipes 3?
You can find them here:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...ver-axle-pipes

They are made to be a direct replacement of the stock 2.75" pipes, just minus the resonators.

I wonder if anyone has these with GT500 a/b mufflers. I'd love to hear that before I decide if I really want them.

Last edited by 5.M0NSTER; 6/20/14 at 10:47 AM.
Old 6/20/14, 11:40 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER
You can find them here:
http://www.lethalperformance.com/sho...ver-axle-pipes

They are made to be a direct replacement of the stock 2.75" pipes, just minus the resonators.

I wonder if anyone has these with GT500 a/b mufflers. I'd love to hear that before I decide if I really want them.
Here you are sir, found this video on youtube. Its the gt500's with the same lethal performance pipes I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFktWQPwTgk
Old 6/20/14, 12:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Here you are sir, found this video on youtube. Its the gt500's with the same lethal performance pipes I have

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFktWQPwTgk
You sir are THE MAN! Thank you

I like. It's more raspy than my current setup, but I just love the tone and volume!
Old 6/20/14, 06:07 PM
GT Member

Thank you. What are the advantages of having this over the stock pipes? Obviously this includes a resonator delete, but besides that, will you see any gains with this?
Old 6/23/14, 04:19 PM

I take it those pics are of the stock pipe since they look to have the resonator on them.
Old 6/23/14, 05:44 PM
Cobra Member

How much difference from just having GT500s and cutting out the resonators?
Old 6/24/14, 08:35 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
I take it those pics are of the stock pipe since they look to have the resonator on them.
Yes those are the stock over axles together. Side by side with the lethal ones, there is quite a difference in how many kinks are in stock ones compared to the lethal pipes. At first I was a little worried they where going to have fitment issues especially with my car being lowered on sport lines, but so far they fit great and sound great, no issues.
Old 6/24/14, 05:50 PM

Boy I really want a set of these along with a good offroad H pipe. On my GT I noticed one of my resonators has a slight flat spot in it like they damaged it coming off the truck. I want to do it but feel I should ride out the warranty before pulling the H and over axle pipes. I'd like to do both together if i could. I just wonder what a dealer would do if they saw I pulled the cats.
Old 6/24/14, 08:35 PM
GT Member

So you claim there is a slight increase in rasp in the mid to high rpms? So you wouldn't recommend this set up for someone who wants the deepest sounding exhaust possible?
Old 6/24/14, 09:38 PM
GT Member

So you claim there is a slight increase in rasp in the mid to high rpms? So you wouldn't recommend this set up for someone who wants the deepest sounding exhaust possible?
Yes and no. Going from just my roush axlebacks to them combined with these lethal pipes, the exhaust did get deeper, especially noticeable on both start-up and cruising at lower RPMs. The exhaust just sounds much more throaty and deep compared to just the axlebacks. Yes it did bring in more rasp however it comes with the territory. In order to free up the exhaust and have a loud and deep exhaust, there will be rasp involved. That is unless you want to pair them up with a set of gt500 mufflers, in which case they will be almost no rasp in comparison to my setup and still sound very deep.
Old 6/24/14, 09:44 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
Boy I really want a set of these along with a good offroad H pipe. On my GT I noticed one of my resonators has a slight flat spot in it like they damaged it coming off the truck. I want to do it but feel I should ride out the warranty before pulling the H and over axle pipes. I'd like to do both together if i could. I just wonder what a dealer would do if they saw I pulled the cats.
Just a word of advice, choose what axlebacks you will put on your car carefully. With just these lethal pipes (deleted resonators) and my roush axle backs, my car is extremely loud at WOT. I could not imagine what it would sound like also paired with an off road H. another reason I just did these pipes and not an O/R mid pipe is because of emissions here in Virginia. But if thats not an issue with you then removing the cats might be better suited, in which case i would say get a set of borla s type mufflers or possible the gt500 mufflers.
Old 6/24/14, 09:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just scored a set of 2013 GT500 OTA pipes to go with the GT500 single tip mufflers I have on the car now. I hope that I don't get more rasp with this setup as that is not what I'm looking for. I will still be running the stock H pipe as well as cats.

Wayne
Old 6/25/14, 06:31 AM
GT Member

Well I currently have FM American Thunder axlebacks which are very deep. I love the way they sound at idle, startup, cruising, and especially at downshifting. Do you think these will make that deep "thunder" sound on downshifting deeper?
Old 6/25/14, 09:00 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I just scored a set of 2013 GT500 OTA pipes to go with the GT500 single tip mufflers I have on the car now. I hope that I don't get more rasp with this setup as that is not what I'm looking for. I will still be running the stock H pipe as well as cats.

Wayne
Since the gt500 OTA pipes are essentially the same concept as the lethal pipes, your exhaust is going to sound a bit deeper and more throaty but you will gain almost no rasp. I have personally heard gt500 mufflers without resonators and I think they sound amazing. They are deep, but have almost no rasp really a great combo especially since you are keeping your cats.

Well I currently have FM American Thunder axlebacks which are very deep. I love the way they sound at idle, startup, cruising, and especially at downshifting. Do you think these will make that deep "thunder" sound on downshifting deeper?

Yes, they will make them deeper and throatier on downshifting, at least that is what they did with my roush mufflers. I don't thing you will gain too much rasp but I cannot say 100% since I have never heard that combo before.
Old 6/25/14, 10:10 AM
GT Member

Well rasp is basically caused from being louder? So louder is not always a bad thing.

Quick Reply: Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed