Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed

Search this Thread

Old 6/25/14, 11:12 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by RaceRed-GT
Boy I really want a set of these along with a good offroad H pipe. On my GT I noticed one of my resonators has a slight flat spot in it like they damaged it coming off the truck. I want to do it but feel I should ride out the warranty before pulling the H and over axle pipes. I'd like to do both together if i could. I just wonder what a dealer would do if they saw I pulled the cats.
No, the resonators come that way. There's a dent on the other one, you just can't see it because it's on top.
Old 6/25/14, 11:42 AM
GT Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Well rasp is basically caused from being louder? So louder is not always a bad thing.
Right, rasp usually occurs as the exhausts get louder, its just the nature of the 5.0, so its very difficult to find an exhaust setup that is moderately loud but has no rasp (thats why people like the gt500 mufflers so much). Me personally, I do like rasp because it reminds me of my old e46 M3 I used to own so its a welcome trait in my eyes.

Originally Posted by laserred38
No, the resonators come that way. There's a dent on the other one, you just can't see it because it's on top.
+1, those dents are factory kinks that come on all resonators for some reason.
Old 6/25/14, 11:45 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey, I think we met at the Kohl's C&C a few weeks back. If that's you, I'd love to hear this in person.
Old 6/25/14, 12:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BLK STANG
Since the gt500 OTA pipes are essentially the same concept as the lethal pipes, your exhaust is going to sound a bit deeper and more throaty but you will gain almost no rasp. I have personally heard gt500 mufflers without resonators and I think they sound amazing. They are deep, but have almost no rasp really a great combo especially since you are keeping your cats.

Yes, they will make them deeper and throatier on downshifting, at least that is what they did with my roush mufflers. I don't thing you will gain too much rasp but I cannot say 100% since I have never heard that combo before.

Ok, thanks. That makes me feel better.

Wayne
Old 6/25/14, 12:24 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes and no. Going from just my roush axlebacks to them combined with these lethal pipes, the exhaust did get deeper, especially noticeable on both start-up and cruising at lower RPMs. The exhaust just sounds much more throaty and deep compared to just the axlebacks. Yes it did bring in more rasp however it comes with the territory. In order to free up the exhaust and have a loud and deep exhaust, there will be rasp involved. That is unless you want to pair them up with a set of gt500 mufflers, in which case they will be almost no rasp in comparison to my setup and still sound very deep.
Are you running H or X pipe?
Old 6/25/14, 01:11 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by K.A.I.N
Hey, I think we met at the Kohl's C&C a few weeks back. If that's you, I'd love to hear this in person.
Hey man, I believe we may have. I should be at Katies C&C saturday as well as Kohls on sunday this weekend so if you can come out Id be more than happy to let you hear them.

Originally Posted by 70monte
Ok, thanks. That makes me feel better.

Wayne
No problem man!

Originally Posted by cdynaco
Are you running H or X pipe?
Nope, just the roush axle backs along with these Lethal performance OTA pipes. Still have the stock H pipe, that might change later down the road.
Old 6/25/14, 01:20 PM
GT Member

Hey man, I believe we may have. I should be at Katies C&C saturday as well as Kohls on sunday this weekend so if you can come out Id be more than happy to let you hear them.
I'll be up in Philly this weekend, but some other time. I was the guy who had just bought his Mustang the day before and you were telling me about the Barton bracket (I think that was you), which ended up being great advice since that cleaned up my 2-3 shifts, saved me $$ from buying a whole shifter kit.
Old 6/25/14, 01:23 PM
GT Member

I'll be up in Philly this weekend, but some other time. I was the guy who had just bought his Mustang the day before and you were telling me about the Barton bracket (I think that was you), which ended up being great advice since that cleaned up my 2-3 shifts, saved me $$ from buying a whole shifter kit.
Yup that was me haha, great talking to you, congrats on the car and glad the bracket worked out! yea just let me know anytime, I usually head up to Kohls every other weekend.
Old 6/25/14, 01:27 PM
Mach 1 Member

How high off of the ground do you have to get the car to replace the OTA pipes? I would like to replace mine myself but all I have is some rhino ramps and jack stands. I was thinking of driving the car up on the ramps and then jacking the rear up and putting the rear end up on jack stands.

Do you guys think this will be high enough or will I have to take it somewhere that has a lift? Thanks.

Wayne
Old 6/25/14, 04:10 PM
GT Member

How high off of the ground do you have to get the car to replace the OTA pipes? I would like to replace mine myself but all I have is some rhino ramps and jack stands. I was thinking of driving the car up on the ramps and then jacking the rear up and putting the rear end up on jack stands.

Do you guys think this will be high enough or will I have to take it somewhere that has a lift? Thanks.

Wayne
I did my axlebacks with the rear on rhino ramps and front on jacks stands. Stock ride height. Even on a creeper I had enough room. I mention this because I removed the OTA pipes to do the install.
Old 6/25/14, 04:27 PM
GT Member

Wayne
To be honest, yea you could probably do it. I was extremely tempted to do it, because up until now, I have done all of my modifications myself, however i knew it would be a struggle to get the stock ones so I just ended up getting a shop to install them and save myself the headache.
Old 6/25/14, 04:33 PM
Mach 1 Member

I did my axlebacks with the rear on rhino ramps and front on jacks stands. Stock ride height. Even on a creeper I had enough room. I mention this because I removed the OTA pipes to do the install.

Okay, thanks. I guess I will give it a try then.

Wayne
Old 6/25/14, 05:56 PM
GT Member

Ill be getting some exhaust videos up by tonight

Last edited by BLK STANG; 6/25/14 at 06:25 PM.
Old 6/25/14, 06:56 PM
GT Member

Okay guys so got some videos up.

This first video is a cold start taken from 13 feet away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClruKj7hg4w

This second video is taken after a 30 minute drive, so the car is fully warmed up. Cars starts off idling then the revs go 2k, 3k, 4k, then 6.5k rpm. Also taken from 13 feet away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOP_eTT0RXE

Enjoy
Old 6/25/14, 07:00 PM
GT Member

Okay guys so got some videos up. This first video is a cold start taken from 13 feet away. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClruKj7hg4w This second video is taken after a 30 minute drive, so the car is fully warmed up. Cars starts off idling then the revs go 2k, 3k, 4k, then 6.5k rpm. Also taken from 13 feet away https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOP_eTT0RXE Enjoy
Man I gotta tell you, that sounds amazing! I definitely want these lethal performance pipes now! Even though we have different axlebacks, you can't go wrong with a sound like that. Very throaty, nice job!
Old 6/25/14, 07:14 PM
GT Member

Awesome burble.
Old 6/25/14, 10:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay guys so got some videos up.

This first video is a cold start taken from 13 feet away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClruKj7hg4w

This second video is taken after a 30 minute drive, so the car is fully warmed up. Cars starts off idling then the revs go 2k, 3k, 4k, then 6.5k rpm. Also taken from 13 feet away
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOP_eTT0RXE

Enjoy

That actually sounds better than I thought it would. I have always heard that the Roush AB sounds the best with the stock exhaust.

I installed the Roush AB on my car soon after I bought it and while I loved the sound, the in town driving got to me after awhile. I wanted something a little quieter and is why I ended up going with the GT500 AB.

Hearing your video kind of makes me want to put it back on. Anyway, yours sounds very good.

Wayne
Old 6/27/14, 07:50 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Stacks Warmen
Man I gotta tell you, that sounds amazing! I definitely want these lethal performance pipes now! Even though we have different axlebacks, you can't go wrong with a sound like that. Very throaty, nice job!
Thank you, they really change the tone of the exhaust, you'll love them!

Awesome burble.
Thanks man

That actually sounds better than I thought it would. I have always heard that the Roush AB sounds the best with the stock exhaust.

I installed the Roush AB on my car soon after I bought it and while I loved the sound, the in town driving got to me after awhile. I wanted something a little quieter and is why I ended up going with the GT500 AB.

Hearing your video kind of makes me want to put it back on. Anyway, yours sounds very good.

Wayne
Thanks, yea they are definitely one of the louder axle backs but since its not my daily I think I can live with it. BTW gt500's do sound really good and if i where dairying this car I would immediately switch over to them, can't beat the price too.
Old 6/27/14, 10:24 AM
V6 Member

Ill be getting some exhaust videos up by tonight
Nice exhaust. I currently have the RTR exhaust, which is deep and somewhat loud below about 3K rpm's. Would adding these OTA pipes make it louder in the higher rpm's?
Old 6/27/14, 12:20 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by RC13GT
Nice exhaust. I currently have the RTR exhaust, which is deep and somewhat loud below about 3K rpm's. Would adding these OTA pipes make it louder in the higher rpm's?
Yes, they most certainly will make it louder in the upper rpm band

Quick Reply: Lethal Performance Over axle pipes installed