5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Koni Yellows, Steeda Sports, and Fays2 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/23/12, 05:24 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fantastic info in this thread, thanks. Time to save for suspension mods, right after a dyno tune.
Old 3/27/12, 07:05 AM
Bullitt Member

man the fays is on my wish list too. I came really close to ordering it late last year but ultimately decided to hold off as my car is pretty much just a daily driver and I'm not tracking it (yet).

I did do the koni sports and steeda sport springs though and I agree they made a huge difference in both looks and handling.

If I got the Fays, I'd also probably get Sam's adjustable swaybars as well and take it to a shop to have them install. I'm not entirely confident enough in my skills to do the fays
Old 3/27/12, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Fays2 is awesome. You'll definitely like it.

I think I'm going to pick up Sam's adjustable sways as well. Just need to talk to him about it some. I think sways and end links will really help further with a more crisp, direct feel.
Old 3/27/12, 01:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
I have been pushing the car harder and harder lately to really get a feel for whats going on and what I might like to change. I had the dampers set to +1 front and +1 rear. The rears feel pretty good but I felt like I should try a little more up front. I went to +1.5 turns and kept the rear at +1. Feels better. I think I may even run up to +2 shortly to see how that feels. I want to try the rears at +1.5, too.
I've been trying to figure out the best settings on mine. I have it at +1 front 1.5 in the rear. Should they be set the same?
Old 3/27/12, 01:39 PM
Cobra Member

They don't have to be. But I definitely prefer the way the car feels with the fronts stiffer. I have them back at 1.5 front 1 rear now. Feels good.

1.5/1.5 also feels nice.

On smooth roads for real aggressive driving I think 2/1.5 f/r would be nice but I haven't tested that yet.
Old 3/27/12, 08:18 PM
Bullitt Member

This is exactly the set up I am planning on putting on my car just gotta convince myself to pull the trigger lol. As far as camber adjustment goes do you plan on adding caster/camber plates at any point? Also, not sure if you know the answer to this but with the drop increasing the negative camber a little and the steeda hd mounts having +-1* of adjustability, do you know the camber value ranges that can be achieved with this setup?or when you got the car aligned did you just ask for it to be set to -1.5*? Thanks and keep us updated! It'll only make me want it more
Old 3/28/12, 06:26 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by mtnbikefuel80
This is exactly the set up I am planning on putting on my car just gotta convince myself to pull the trigger lol. As far as camber adjustment goes do you plan on adding caster/camber plates at any point? Also, not sure if you know the answer to this but with the drop increasing the negative camber a little and the steeda hd mounts having +-1* of adjustability, do you know the camber value ranges that can be achieved with this setup?or when you got the car aligned did you just ask for it to be set to -1.5*? Thanks and keep us updated! It'll only make me want it more
I don't know the exact range, and I suspect it might vary a little bit. But I do know that you can get back to stock alignment spec with the HD mounts (at least with my Steeda Sport drop) which is -.75*.

I did ask for -1.5 so that's where they set it.

By the way, how do you like your Steeda shifter and bracket? I have had good luck with Steeda's shifters in the past, but everyone is raving on the MGW these days. I'm more inclined to go Steeda instead of reinventing the wheel (or box, in this case) with the MGW.

Does it really drop the height of the shifter? I actually like the length of the stock throw, I just don't like the slop.

Last edited by m4a1mustang; 3/28/12 at 06:31 AM.
Old 3/28/12, 01:57 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't know the exact range, and I suspect it might vary a little bit. But I do know that you can get back to stock alignment spec with the HD mounts (at least with my Steeda Sport drop) which is -.75*.

By the way, how do you like your Steeda shifter and bracket? I have had good luck with Steeda's shifters in the past, but everyone is raving on the MGW these days. I'm more inclined to go Steeda instead of reinventing the wheel (or box, in this case) with the MGW.

Does it really drop the height of the shifter? I actually like the length of the stock throw, I just don't like the slop.
Thanks for the info, I REALLY want to do this mod but man is grad school expensive! My driveway is pretty steep too so I've scared of bottoming out. Also, is the fays noisy? Ive heard some watts links creak and pop a lot.

As far as the shifter goes it feels great and I have had no problems with it. I didn't notice a height drop, if so it is minimal. I believe they just moved the stock pivot point further up to reduce the throw. Here is a picture of my Steeda and stock one when I removed it. The base of the Steeda is a little further down in that picture so I'd say they are close to the same height. I'm subscribed on the giant MGW shifter thread and they all seem to love it but the Steeda works perfectly for me so I have no inclination to change.
Attached Thumbnails Koni Yellows, Steeda Sports, and Fays2 Installed-262975_1971314358194_1103040150_31772094_7059697_n.jpg  
Old 3/28/12, 02:13 PM
Cobra Member

I haven't noticed much noise at all from the Fays2. I think the only popping you'll get is if the arms weren't installed correctly. The linkage will bind and pop in that case. I know this because I didn't get it right the first time and heard some noises while driving to the shop!

Thanks for your thoughts on the shifter. I guess I'll just give it some more time and decide on Steeda or MGW in a month or two. Don't want to rush it.
Old 3/29/12, 02:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Well I ordered the 2011+ Koni Yellows! Ill get the steeda parts next month, then the watts link the month after that. Spread out the expenses while I move. Can't wait!
Old 3/30/12, 11:57 AM
Bullitt Member

Anyone have any tips on how I should set the Konis up for the drag strip?
Full soft in the front. Full firm in the rear.
Old 3/30/12, 05:06 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a similar setup. The main difference was the shocks were str.t and steeda adjustable UCA and roush billet lcas. Having put 30+k on my fays2. I can say that for me its the first suspension mod on my list. Unless you run very hard springs, a watts is a must for fine control.

Coming from my 07 to the 2012 5.0L brembo car. I can say that my 07 felt much much much faster around turns. That setup did not nose push at all. My camber was set @ 1.2, I also had 275 wide bfgoodrige geforce ta's that were **** good for an AS tire. Reading this makes me want to modify this one too. But wont do it until I paid it off.

Good luck, and experiment with the propeller position if you wan't to change oversteer or understeer properties on the car.
Old 3/31/12, 07:56 AM
Team Mustang Source

I appreciate you posting those alignment specs. I was wondering why there is no TOE specs.
Old 4/20/12, 07:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Everything but the watts link is ordered. Ill place that order when the koni's ship off of back order. Can't wait!
Old 4/29/12, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

Got my 11+ struts delivered a couple days ago. Did anyone else's come in with the paint chipped off around the spring perch and on the body of the strut? Are they stainless steel? looks like they were rattling around against each other a lot in delivery as the cardboard on the inside of the box was all chewed up and one of the clips came off and a strut was uncompressed. I would add pictures but my phone camera just died. All my pictures are just a full turquoise screen
Old 4/29/12, 02:00 PM
Cobra Member

Yeah. One of my struts was uncompressed as well. I had some chipping on the bottom of one of the rear shocks.
Old 4/29/12, 02:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Yeah. One of my struts was uncompressed as well. I had some chipping on the bottom of one of the rear shocks.
Did you paint over the chipping? I have some bare metal showing on the strut body I don't really want to leave exposed
Old 4/29/12, 03:04 PM
Cobra Member

No, I just left it.
Old 4/29/12, 05:43 PM
Cobra Member

Thought I would share -- after about a month and ~2,000 miles I noticed some creaking from the rear suspension after I had been driving a while. I hit the spherical bearings on the Watts Link arms with some white lithium grease and all is quiet again.
Old 4/29/12, 05:50 PM
Cobra Member

Also, I was going to put my Steeda chrome-moly LCAs back on but managed to lose two of the rubber bushings. I need to call them in the morning to see if I can get a replacement set.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellows, Steeda Sports, and Fays2 Installed