5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Koni Yellows, Steeda Sports, and Fays2 Installed

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/12, 09:19 PM
JAJ
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by m4a1mustang
Well, I can't tell you for sure since my shop ended up setting it up for me, but if you look at how it's installed it should center the axle pretty well. The frame places the propeller dead center on the body, and the two arms coming off of the propeller must be installed such that they are equal in length and at exactly 0 degrees when the suspension is at static load and the propeller is placed in the center position. When installing this should center the mid point of the axle with the propeller pivot, which is mounted dead center relative to the body.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.
Well, almost... The position of two brackets clamped on the rear axle set the position of the axle under the car. If you center the axle when you install the link, it's centered forever. If not, then it's off-center forever. I've had mine in and out three times now for various reasons, and the first time I used a scissors jack between the frame and one brake disc to get it exactly centered. The second time I didn't bother and my rear axle ended up about 1/8" off, which isn't enough to matter.
Old 3/16/12, 09:35 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There we go. Thanks JAJ.
Old 3/17/12, 07:49 AM
GT Member

Cool thanks for the info
Old 3/17/12, 02:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Installing same set up next weekend minus the watts link. Have you looked into Corbeau seats, half the price of the Ford Recaros and hold you in better.
Old 3/17/12, 04:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by devildog1679
Installing same set up next weekend minus the watts link. Have you looked into Corbeau seats, half the price of the Ford Recaros and hold you in better.
I'm not a fan at all of Corbeau quality. Materials, IMO, are sub par and I don't like any of their designs. I'm either going to get the OEM Recaros, the Recaro Sportster CS, or Sparco Milano Prestige. I lean towards OEM, though, because of the side airbags.
Old 3/17/12, 05:34 PM
Cobra Member

As further testament to the never ending nature of modding a car, I have just ordered Ferodo DS2500 brake pads for the front and am considering the Strano adjustable front and rear sway bars, as well as new lower control arms, just to see if I can further tighten the car up.
Old 3/17/12, 05:57 PM
Bullitt Member

As further testament to the never ending nature of modding a car, I have just ordered Ferodo DS2500 brake pads for the front and am considering the Strano adjustable front and rear sway bars, as well as new lower control arms, just to see if I can further tighten the car up.
Place your order now with Sam, I ordered mine last week and he said it would be 2-3 weeks before the next batch arrive. I also got the BMR non- adjustable LCA's. As for brakes I went the Carbotech route, mainly because their street and race compounds are compatible so no need to switch rotors or rebed when going to the track.
Old 3/17/12, 06:00 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Place your order now with Sam, I ordered mine last week and he said it would be 2-3 weeks before the next batch arrive. I also got the BMR non- adjustable LCA's. As for brakes I went the Carbotech route, mainly because their street and race compounds are compatible so no need to switch rotors or rebed when going to the track.
Does he charge your card right away or when they ship?
Old 3/17/12, 06:06 PM
Cobra Member

I'll probably talk to him next week about completing the setup.

Which Carbotechs did you go with? I was going to do the XP8 front and rear mainly because of all the positive feedback the XP10/XP8 have received from my 370Z track buds, but after pricing and having to wait a while for the rear pads to be made I decided to just go with the DS2500 and keep the HPS rear. This is a street setup afterall.

HPS are a very good street only pad but I wanted something with a lot more bite and more heat resistance. I would probably burn up the front pads on The Dragon.
Old 3/17/12, 06:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek

Does he charge your card right away or when they ship?
Once he ships
Old 3/17/12, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

I'll probably talk to him next week about completing the setup.

Which Carbotechs did you go with? I was going to do the XP8 front and rear mainly because of all the positive feedback the XP10/XP8 have received from my 370Z track buds, but after pricing and having to wait a while for the rear pads to be made I decided to just go with the DS2500 and keep the HPS rear. This is a street setup afterall.

HPS are a very good street only pad but I wanted something with a lot more bite and more heat resistance. I would probably burn up the front pads on The Dragon.
I went with bobcats front and rear for street then XP10 fronts for track. Keeping the bobcats in the rear for the track. Testing to see if they can handle the track, they should since their good up to 800 degrees and the rears only see 30% of brake force. Also adding the rear duct kit from FRP Customs LLC
Old 3/17/12, 06:28 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Once he ships
Cool thanks.
Old 3/17/12, 06:32 PM
Cobra Member

I went with bobcats front and rear for street then XP10 fronts for track. Keeping the bobcats in the rear for the track. Testing to see if they can handle the track, they should since their good up to 800 degrees and the rears only see 30% of brake force. Also adding the rear duct kit from FRP Customs LLC
Nice. Your mod list reminds me I need to pick up the front ducting kit.
Old 3/17/12, 07:05 PM
Cobra Member

Did a few straight line launches today and the car digs pretty well. I might be out at MIR this upcoming Friday so we'll see what I can do. The last time I went was with the car stock and I wheel-hopped my way to a 12.87. I'm sure I can do much, much better now. Doesn't seem to be any wheel hop present.
Old 3/17/12, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice. Your mod list reminds me I need to pick up the front ducting kit.
FYI... The front Boss duct kit is not plug and play. You actually have to rotate the horns, relocate the washer fluid bottle, and trim the wheel liners.
Old 3/17/12, 11:08 PM
Cobra Member

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 3/20/12, 05:47 AM
Cobra Member

I have been pushing the car harder and harder lately to really get a feel for whats going on and what I might like to change. I had the dampers set to +1 front and +1 rear. The rears feel pretty good but I felt like I should try a little more up front. I went to +1.5 turns and kept the rear at +1. Feels better. I think I may even run up to +2 shortly to see how that feels. I want to try the rears at +1.5, too.
Old 3/20/12, 07:21 AM
Bullitt Member

I have been pushing the car harder and harder lately to really get a feel for whats going on and what I might like to change. I had the dampers set to +1 front and +1 rear. The rears feel pretty good but I felt like I should try a little more up front. I went to +1.5 turns and kept the rear at +1. Feels better. I think I may even run up to +2 shortly to see how that feels. I want to try the rears at +1.5, too.
Good to know, waiting to put mine in
Old 3/20/12, 01:26 PM
Cobra Member

Anyone have any tips on how I should set the Konis up for the drag strip?
Old 3/20/12, 05:42 PM
Cobra Member

Front and rears both at 1.5 turns from full soft now. Almost where I want it. I think I will try the fronts at 2 turns soon.

Quick Reply: Koni Yellows, Steeda Sports, and Fays2 Installed