5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Koni STR.T & Stock Springs & Sways

Search this Thread

Old 4/15/11, 07:31 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Koni STR.T & Stock Springs & Sways

Made my mind up 2 months ago, but I've been putting off buying the Koni Streets due fracture in foot and shoulder surgery 2 days ago. Nevertheless, I couldn't take it anymore and pulled the trigger with Sam & bought my dampers last nite.

I don't want to change my springs right now for multiple reasons, but chief among them are the fact that I ride a ferry boat every day and depending on tide/level ground clearance can be important. Unlike all of the Brembo pkg cars i've seen so far, I think my 'vert has a nice stance as-is. Maybe it's an optical illusion due to the different roof(less) line?

I like my current cornering flatness (as long as I don't drive my friend's Z06 any more), so I am leaving well enough alone re the sway bars. I just HATE the floatiness of my stock suspension.

I will next need to procure the correct upper strut mounts to adapt the STR.Ts to my '11. Haven't yet made up my mind whether to go 2010 GT, or GT500/FRPP. Am leaning toward the FRPP, but ride comfort is of SOME importance to me; after nearly 11 months my 'vert still has not ONE rattle & I'd like to keep it that way! I guess it's academic anyway until the strut mount supply catches up with demand.

So once I am finally recuperated (maybe another month?), I'll install these babies and provide a report-out. I already have the Barton shift bracket to install, plus a few misc repairs to the Family Truckster (Ody). I know every thread is worthless without pics and if long-winded. I just couldn't wait to share...

Last edited by Double-EDad; 4/15/11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 4/15/11, 07:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you heal fast, Eric.

I plan on doing the same mods to my '10 GT (and leaving stock sway bars and springs) and anxiously await your report!

Last edited by bones302; 4/15/11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 4/15/11, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Awesome. I am happy you are finally coming over to the Dark side

I am interested to see how the ride will change with just the konis. I bet it will make a big difference.

Still waiting to see pictures of the pimped out knee scooter
Old 4/15/11, 08:17 AM
Cobra Member

Eric (no I'm not talking to myself, which I never do. Yes, you do! No I don't. Liar! *****!)

Anyway, sorry about your injury, sounds like a kickboxing accident gone horribly wrong. I'm sure you'll like your struts. Also on my list of mods and also from Sam. I was unaware there was an issue with availability on mounts. Let me know how you like it when it's all together and how you are enjoying it.

I hope you're 100% soon.....
Old 4/15/11, 01:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Well NOW I feel like a horse's hind quarters - I dragged my feet ordering them and now the Koni STR.Ts are currently sold out (at least for the rear, according to Tire Rack, Sam Strano, and my other go-to-guys, Shox.com). <sigh> Oh well, I couldn't do any suspension work for at least 2 to 4 weeks anyway, even if the Konis were at my doorstep this very moment, being still crippled and on Dilaudid (from Wednesday's shoulder surgery) as I am.

My concern is that Tire Rack's site says the fronts are in stock and it's the rears that are unavailable until - get this - 7/5/11!! Had anyone else heard this? I definitely would not want to wait until JULY to get these things!

FUN FACT: I used to have a German Shepherd (late '80's to late '90's) that I named "Koni".

FUN FACT #2: Dilaudid is a form of heroin. So you know I am feeling as little pain as possible!

Last edited by Double-EDad; 4/15/11 at 01:33 PM.
Old 4/15/11, 01:54 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Double-EDad
FUN FACT #2: Dilaudid is a form of heroin. So you know I am feeling as little pain as possible!
Years ago I had a guy in my gym break his shin in half while sparring. By far the worst injury we've had in over 25 years. He had a 90 degree turn mid-shin. It was nasty as Hell. He stayed absolutely cool for the 20 minutes til the paramedics showed up. Not a whimper, scream, whine or tear.

The first question they asked him, "Are you allergic to anything?"

His completely deadpan Response, "I'm not allergic to morphine!"

Funny as hell.
Old 4/15/11, 02:06 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by eric n
Years ago I had a guy in my gym break his shin in half while sparring. By far the worst injury we've had in over 25 years. He had a 90 degree turn mid-shin. It was nasty as Hell. He stayed absolutely cool for the 20 minutes til the paramedics showed up. Not a whimper, scream, whine or tear.

The first question they asked him, "Are you allergic to anything?"

His completely deadpan Response, "I'm not allergic to morphine!"

Funny as hell.
^^^ ^^^

I know from previous E.R. encounters that morphine does NOTHING for me, whereas Dilaudid is definitely effective, especially if administered via injection into the glutes.

So they sent me home from shoulder surgery Wednesday afternoon with "uber-Vicodin" called "Norco" or some-such. Unfortunately it couldn't TOUCH the exquisite pain I was feeling so they kicked me up a notch to Dilaudid, which STILL only kills part of the pain, but at least provides more comfort.
Old 4/15/11, 06:58 PM
Team Mustang Source

Eric, i know what you're going through, i've had my dozes of Dilaudid in the past for back problems. I use to take 12mg a day when in total pain, wasn't fun let me tell 'ya. You'll see better days, hang in there.

Well, was thinking about ordering the STR.T's too, but you've just burst my bubble.
Looks like these are back ordered from pretty much all vendors. That sucks.
Which route are you taking as far as the strut mounts are concerned !
Old 4/15/11, 07:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by montreal ponies
Eric, i know what you're going through, i've had my dozes of Dilaudid in the past for back problems. I use to take 12mg a day when in total pain, wasn't fun let me tell 'ya. You'll see better days, hang in there.

Well, was thinking about ordering the STR.T's too, but you've just burst my bubble.
Am on two 2mg tabs (4mg total) of Dilaudid every 4 hours. I am hoping I can taper off some by tomorrow, to Ibuprofen &/or Tylenol.

Re the mounts. Don't yet know, but am leaning toward the GT500/FRPPs. But I plan to wait until I've resolved the Koni issue. The mounts aren't on sale, and I can't do anything with the mounts w/o the dampers.
Old 4/18/11, 09:41 AM
Cobra R Member

WAS going to order these:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/FORD-RACI...011/p/M18183C/

But am concerned re their note that says, "2011 V6 and GT Mustangs require Ford Racing lowering springs and dampers."

Is this really true re the springs? I know 2010 & earlier dampers would be necessary (i.e. the Koni STR.T), but I plan to keep my stock springs. I need to know: will my stock 2011 GT springs work with these mounts or not?

Confusing inconsiderate bastards.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 4/18/11 at 09:42 AM.
Old 4/18/11, 02:24 PM
Team Mustang Source

WAS going to order these:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/FORD-RACI...011/p/M18183C/

But am concerned re their note that says, "2011 V6 and GT Mustangs require Ford Racing lowering springs and dampers."

Is this really true re the springs? I know 2010 & earlier dampers would be necessary (i.e. the Koni STR.T), but I plan to keep my stock springs. I need to know: will my stock 2011 GT springs work with these mounts or not?

Confusing inconsiderate bastards.
I just got the last set of GT500's strut mounts from my Ford dealership. They're part # M18183A ( 2005-09 GT500) application. The newer 2010-11 GT500 strut mounts are now sold under part# M18183C, but they're the exact same part.

Eric, the way i understand this, you just want to get the Koni dampers and keep the original springs right !
The struts and shocks ( Koni STR.T's) are designed to handle the reduced spring height. I already have the FRPP 1" drop on my car hence the need to get the matching strut/shock to avoid damaging the stock units and having better overall handling caractheristics.

BUT according to Sam's site, these STR.T's can be a direct bolt on with stock springs, as long as you have the right strut mounts. You definately need to get the mounts you just posted. They are the correct ones.
Old 4/18/11, 03:49 PM
Cobra R Member

I just got the last set of GT500's strut mounts from my Ford dealership. They're part # M18183A ( 2005-09 GT500) application. The newer 2010-11 GT500 strut mounts are now sold under part# M18183C, but they're the exact same part.

Eric, the way i understand this, you just want to get the Koni dampers and keep the original springs right !
The struts and shocks ( Koni STR.T's) are designed to handle the reduced spring height. I already have the FRPP 1" drop on my car hence the need to get the matching strut/shock to avoid damaging the stock units and having better overall handling caractheristics.

BUT according to Sam's site, these STR.T's can be a direct bolt on with stock springs, as long as you have the right strut mounts. You definately need to get the mounts you just posted. They are the correct ones.
Thanks for the info. I am going to hold off ordering the strut mounts until I know for sure when I'll be getting the STR-Ts. May take awhile.
Old 4/18/11, 04:03 PM
Team Mustang Source

I just asked my friend today( he works at a Ford dealership) about how soon i could get the Koni's. He should get back to me tomorrow. Maybe they have a few sets in stock at the supplier's warehouse.
Old 4/18/11, 05:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

As long as you order the Konis before the sale ends (at least from a reputable dealer like Sam Strano or Tire Rack), you'll get the sale price, even if they don't ship until after the sale is over. Last year when I bought my Koni Sports, the fronts were back-ordered, but the rears shipped right away. I went ahead and installed the rears a few weeks after I got them, and then installed the fronts a few more weeks later when they finally came. Well worth the wait for the Konis IMO.
Old 4/18/11, 07:01 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Ministang
As long as you order the Konis before the sale ends (at least from a reputable dealer like Sam Strano or Tire Rack), you'll get the sale price, even if they don't ship until after the sale is over. Last year when I bought my Koni Sports, the fronts were back-ordered, but the rears shipped right away. I went ahead and installed the rears a few weeks after I got them, and then installed the fronts a few more weeks later when they finally came. Well worth the wait for the Konis IMO.
Per Tire Rack, it's the rears that are unavailable right now. Sam didn't offer to do a partial shipment. I think we're hoping things straighten out quickly, but it's looking doubtful.
Old 4/18/11, 07:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Per Tire Rack, it's the rears that are unavailable right now. Sam didn't offer to do a partial shipment. I think we're hoping things straighten out quickly, but it's looking doubtful.
Right, on the Koni STR.T's the rears are backordered. On the adjustable Koni Sports it is the fronts that are backordered, just like last year. I bought mine from Sam, and he sent the ones that were in stock right away, and the backordered ones later.
Old 4/18/11, 10:13 PM
Bullitt Member

Our company owns koni suspension and I've tried talking to the people that do the orders for various retailers and they keep pushing the date back. I ordered the koni sports for my 2012 a few months ago and every month, they keep saying "sometime next month". In mid february, they said they'd be shipping mid march. In mid march, they said mid to late april. Last week, they said late may.

Fed up with excuses I emailed one of the guys that is over in Holland where they're making them and all he could tell me was that there were "working on them"

whatever... I'll get em when I get em I guess... The lady said they'd ship them whenever they show up at their kentucky distro center.

I've got the FRPP strut mounts already. maybe by whenever the konis DO ship, I'll have enough $$ laying around to buy the steeda sports and steeda HD strut mounts from Strano. I'm not touching the suspension until I can do it ALL... well, everything but the fayes watts setup
Old 4/19/11, 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

I can't cover every possible detail. Both are out of stock in my warehouse. Koni is out of both as well, if someone else has some fronts...that's fine. As for sending what I have, I can do that if they are around, and if that's what you want. I usually offer, but under the heading no good deed goes unpunished, I've had folks then complain that they had two shocks for X amount of time and not the others.

As for vendors. I don't see TR or Shox.com hanging around here much, and certainly don't believe they have much if any personal experience with the dampers or for that matter Mustangs specifically. I try to be here as much as I can, which is hard as busy as I've been, but I'd hope that matters a little in the end.
Old 4/19/11, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
I can't cover every possible detail. Both are out of stock in my warehouse. Koni is out of both as well, if someone else has some fronts...that's fine. As for sending what I have, I can do that if they are around, and if that's what you want. I usually offer, but under the heading no good deed goes unpunished, I've had folks then complain that they had two shocks for X amount of time and not the others.

As for vendors. I don't see TR or Shox.com hanging around here much, and certainly don't believe they have much if any personal experience with the dampers or for that matter Mustangs specifically. I try to be here as much as I can, which is hard as busy as I've been, but I'd hope that matters a little in the end.
Thanks for the update Sam, I'll probably be calling to get my order in tomorrow some time. Even if they are back ordered for now just want to be added to the list.
Old 4/20/11, 06:51 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by sam strano

Shox.com & Tire Rack are vendors I've purchased from previously and had good luck with. I bought an entire set of Konis and H&R springs from shox.com for my erstwhile 540i a couple of years ago. I think my vote of confidence and gratitude to Sam should be evidenced by the fact I ordered from Sam instead of these guys this time for my Mustang dampers. I simply consulted them for more info regarding the sudden STR.T shortage. Will sit tight until something happens.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 4/20/11 at 07:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Koni STR.T & Stock Springs & Sways