5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Kenne Bell Coyote

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/12, 06:10 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackgt87

What kinda power was your car making, and for how long? It's possible to toast a clutch in a stock car...

What mph do you go through the traps at?
Most of the clutch was burned up before my blower. Only had blower on for about 50 miles when I swapped clutch. With bolt ons I trapped at 116. Car is now making 650 & 530 with procharger d1 @ about 10psi. I live in Chicago and blower went on this winter so won't have any times till may.
Old 2/28/12, 06:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by black5.0
Most of the clutch was burned up before my blower. Only had blower on for about 50 miles when I swapped clutch. With bolt ons I trapped at 116. Car is now making 650 & 530 with procharger d1 @ about 10psi. I live in Chicago and blower went on this winter so won't have any times till may.
So your other post made no sense whatsoever, thanks.
Old 2/28/12, 06:19 PM
GT Member

How ya figure?
Old 2/28/12, 06:22 PM
GT Member

If the stock clutch wearing that bad from a few days at the track per season with bolt on how do you think it will hold up to over 1 1/2 times stock hp?
Old 2/28/12, 06:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Well you said

Sorry to tell ya man but that clutch prob won't last long regardless. When I replaced mine the thing was already on its last leg. Also, with 3.73s you shouldn't need to shift 5th, I don't.
And you toasted your stock clutch before you're blower, so the increased power doesn't have anything to do with that. My clutch has a bunch of passes on it, I've pulled 1.60 60' on 18" radials and my clutch is fine. It's all in how you drive it. Toasting a stock clutch with bolt ons doesn't give you reason to say a blower will ruin one for sure, plenty of bolt on cars have clutches lasting.

You also said I shouldn't need 5th because you don't, except you've never even ran your car with the blower. So how do you know if you'll need 5th at the track or not? You don't. I was talking about needing 5th gear WITH the blower, which I will since I was almost on the rev limiter in 4th NA and my car is way faster now and the rev limiter will be lower.

So yeah no sense at all.
Old 2/28/12, 06:47 PM
GT Member

Well buddy, I'm 35 and this car is the 6th manual trans I've owned. I've never burned through one of those clutches, including cars that were taken to the track. So I don't think it's my driving, think its the clutch in these cars. Plenty other guys have had to replace them as well if you read these forums. And I apologize for making your **** bleed so bad, didn't mean to upset you
Old 2/28/12, 07:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Don't matter how old you are. Frying the clutch in a new 5.0 with bolt ons is not common, unless there is a mechanical problem.

I'm not mad, or afraid to point out when people make no sense, that's all.
Old 2/28/12, 08:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Well buddy, I'm 35 and this car is the 6th manual trans I've owned. I've never burned through one of those clutches, including cars that were taken to the track. So I don't think it's my driving, think its the clutch in these cars. Plenty other guys have had to replace them as well if you read these forums. And I apologize for making your **** bleed so bad, didn't mean to upset you
Don't pay him no mind bud he's a natural arrogant *****!
Old 2/29/12, 01:11 PM
GT Member

Don't matter how old you are. Frying the clutch in a new 5.0 with bolt ons is not common, unless there is a mechanical problem.

I'm not mad, or afraid to point out when people make no sense, that's all.

It boggles my mind how you cant comprehend what he was trying to say to you.
Old 2/29/12, 01:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by 5PTOHH
It boggles my mind how you cant comprehend what he was trying to say to you.
Most likely you're as stupid as he is.

If your clutch fails due to a mechanical issue, fix it. Otherwise it should last a long long time if your car just has bolt ons and you drive it properly. Regardless of how old you are.

When I said my clutch will thank me for the 18" radials I meant they would not be nearly as hard on the clutch as slicks would be.
Old 2/29/12, 01:49 PM
3rd Times A Charm

I wouldn't take clutch advice from someone who burnt up the stock clutch with just a few bolt ons.

Hate to tell you, but that's operator error, not the limits of the stock clutch.

Truth be told, if you fried the clutch with a couple bolt ons, you would have fried the clutch while stock.

My 450 rwhp Kenne Bell '05 is still on the stock clutch after 65,000 miles.

My 600+rwhp Whippled '11 is still on the stock clutch after 13,000 miles.

Not trying to fuel an argument, just keeping the facts straight.
Old 2/29/12, 02:08 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
I wouldn't take clutch advice from someone who burnt up the stock clutch with just a few bolt ons.

Hate to tell you, but that's operator error, not the limits of the stock clutch.

Truth be told, if you fried the clutch with a couple bolt ons, you would have fried the clutch while stock.

My 450 rwhp Kenne Bell '05 is still on the stock clutch after 65,000 miles.

My 600+rwhp Whippled '11 is still on the stock clutch after 13,000 miles.

Not trying to fuel an argument, just keeping the facts straight.
THIS
Old 3/2/12, 07:47 AM
Bullitt Member

outside of the arguing, I am just drooling over your guys sexy supercharged rides!!!
Old 3/2/12, 07:54 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Grifftech
outside of the arguing, I am just drooling over your guys sexy supercharged rides!!!
Thanks man!
Old 3/2/12, 08:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks man!

No problem man. Couple questions, I am pseudo-mechanically inclined, how difficult is this to DIY install? I have been working on the wife for 10 months to let me get a supercharger and I cant decide what brand to get if she lets me, Procharger, Vortec, Kenne Bell, Whipple etc.
Old 3/2/12, 08:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

No problem man. Couple questions, I am pseudo-mechanically inclined, how difficult is this to DIY install? I have been working on the wife for 10 months to let me get a supercharger and I cant decide what brand to get if she lets me, Procharger, Vortec, Kenne Bell, Whipple etc.

I'm really glad you asked this. Part of the reason I was able to get this kit is because I agreed to make an installation video from the "average joe's" perspective. I have modded cars before, but never installed a supercharger on anything. I took hours and hours of footage during my install and I am about halfway through the editing process now. I am trying to make something that isn't too boring and long lol, but still has a lot of information. There are WAY too many steps to cover them all in a video, but I am trying to cover the ones that gave me trouble and the ones I think people would want to see.

I will make a new thread when I get the video done after I submit it to Kenne Bell, but trust me you can install one of these. If you can follow instructions and have basic skills (and a little discipline) this kit is GREAT for a backyard mechanic. You will probably have to buy a couple tools (I did, nothing major) but they make the install so much cleaner and easier its worth it.

I hope this helps and I will probably bump this thread when I make the new one with the video. It's just taking me awhile to go through 25GB of video lol.
Old 3/2/12, 09:10 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been working on the wife for 10 months to let me get a supercharger and I cant decide what brand to get if she lets me, Procharger, Vortec, Kenne Bell, Whipple etc.
When she gives you the ok, please post a write up on how you got the wife to let you buy a supercharger.
Old 3/2/12, 09:13 AM
MJN
GT Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
When she gives you the ok, please post a write up on how you got the wife to let you buy a supercharger.

I had to get a divorce before I installed mine on my truck LOL!
Old 3/2/12, 09:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Hytek
LJL!!!
Old 3/2/12, 09:20 AM
Bullitt Member

I'm really glad you asked this. Part of the reason I was able to get this kit is because I agreed to make an installation video from the "average joe's" perspective. I have modded cars before, but never installed a supercharger on anything. I took hours and hours of footage during my install and I am about halfway through the editing process now. I am trying to make something that isn't too boring and long lol, but still has a lot of information. There are WAY too many steps to cover them all in a video, but I am trying to cover the ones that gave me trouble and the ones I think people would want to see.

I will make a new thread when I get the video done after I submit it to Kenne Bell, but trust me you can install one of these. If you can follow instructions and have basic skills (and a little discipline) this kit is GREAT for a backyard mechanic. You will probably have to buy a couple tools (I did, nothing major) but they make the install so much cleaner and easier its worth it.

I hope this helps and I will probably bump this thread when I make the new one with the video. It's just taking me awhile to go through 25GB of video lol.
Well the big 40th birthday is coming up for me in July and I keep hinting that would be a good reason to let me have one.

Hell get this, my wife sells that Scentsy candle stuff on the side and they have a convention in Las Vegas the weekend of my birthday and she had the sack to propose "Hey we can go to Vegas for your birthday and then I can go to the convention!" I stared at her while I contemplated drop kicking her in her gooch for even thinking of that, and said "No I do not want to go to Vegas for my birthday so you can hang out with a ton of annoying women and smell candles, all I want is a SC for the car or the long list of cosmetic mods I gave you, but the SC is at the top"

Quick Reply: Kenne Bell Coyote