5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

K&N drop in experience

Search this Thread

Old 9/17/12, 06:36 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I just bought a brand new paper filter and installed it this evening. I'll wait until tomorrow to test the butt dyno. My guess is there isn't a change in pep.

However, I'm just interested in gas mileage. I'll be V6 test mule and I'll report back after a tank or so.
Attached Thumbnails K&N drop in experience-image-1584618216.jpg  

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/17/12 at 06:37 PM.
Old 9/17/12, 06:52 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Getportfolio
I just bought a brand new paper filter and installed it this evening. I'll wait until tomorrow to test the butt dyno. My guess is there isn't a change in pep.

However, I'm just interested in gas mileage. I'll be V6 test mule and I'll report back after a tank or so.
You can't do a mileage test because you will not be able to produce the same conditions over and over in the real world. Come on people.
Old 9/17/12, 07:02 PM

What conditions? Not trying to be a smart @ss.
Any expertise is appreciated.

I'm going to keep my driving habits the same and it looks like the forecast is pretty consistent for the next few days. I may be forgetting something...
Old 9/17/12, 07:08 PM
Banned

What conditions? Not trying to be a smart @ss.
Any expertise is appreciated.

I'm going to keep my driving habits the same and it looks like the forecast is pretty consistent for the next few days. I may be forgetting something...
You can't reproduce traffic and how many times you stop and start and how you apply gas and brakes every day. Here's a better idea, send this into mythbusters and have them test it.
Old 9/17/12, 07:16 PM

Btw I went in and asked the worker guy at autozone for the stock filter. He immediately pulled the STP paper one. I pointed at the KN filter and he told me "don't buy that one." I asked why and he said it wasn't worth it for the price. Uggh!

I'm only out 11 bucks for the paper. It was 50 for the KN. I changed the original filter when the car had about 1k miles on it. At 30k on it now, hopefully, I will be able to tell if putting the stock one back in does anything. (butt dyno)

Yes, I may be out 11 bucks tomorrow morning. Lol... Being a teacher, I always say that you only learn lessons by not being afraid to try, gather as much data as possible, understand variables, but ultimately draw your own conclusions from your own experience.
Old 9/17/12, 07:18 PM

Myth busters? I'm going to write KN. they borderline brag on their website about HP increase with the drop in.
Old 9/17/12, 07:27 PM
Banned

Myth busters? I'm going to write KN. they borderline brag on their website about HP increase with the drop in.
Mythbusters will tell you the facts honestly. Or you can go to an oval track and do the test yourself.
Old 9/17/12, 09:30 PM
GT Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm only out 11 bucks for the paper. It was 50 for the KN. I changed the original filter when the car had about 1k miles on it. At 30k on it now, hopefully, I will be able to tell if putting the stock one back in does anything. (butt dyno)

Yes, I may be out 11 bucks tomorrow morning. Lol... Being a teacher, I always say that you only learn lessons by not being afraid to try, gather as much data as possible, understand variables, but ultimately draw your own conclusions from your own experience.
I totally agree with you, don't just go off what others tell you but make your own conclusions. I'll probably go buy one tomorrow and see what happens as well as test with and without the new tunes. And as far as getting good results, it's not about specific numbers per se but more so the trends that you see.
Old 9/18/12, 07:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I report 0 difference in mph at the track with the paper filter over the K&N on my GT. that's a much more controlled experiment than the street is, even though there are still a lot of uncommanded variables there. That's it dispute my findings

The V6 and GT use the same filter so, I'd say there's even less likelihood of there being an improvement, as the engine BSFC is likely lower on the V6, as it's not as performance-focused as the Coyote. I haven't math'd this out though so, I could be wrong. Certainly, it indicates the V6 is over-filtered stock for the airflow demands of the engine. The only significant way you'll see gains from a drop in filter change is if the engine is corked by the stock filter and that cannot be the case here.
Old 9/18/12, 10:55 AM

I drove around all morning with the brand new paper filter. Luckily I still have the receipt and box.

No need to dispute any longer. Keep your KN filter and save the dyno testing for another day.

Mods, please close this nonsense thread.
Old 9/18/12, 01:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Whats NONSENSE about this thread,the fact that you think its nonsense.Theres a lot of members on here i,m sure that want to know if they are about to waste money on a so called performance filter that yields nothing except the fact they they dont ever need to replace there air filter.K&N has always claimed there filters to be a performance upgrade,well in our cars they are not!!They yield nothing!!! And my experience is no placebo effect for the last time.I know my car,and i check my mileage with every single tank of gas.
Old 9/18/12, 01:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save your money and buy the Ford filter. I would never use a oiled filter on a vehicle that uses a MAF sensor. Oil and MAF sensor don't play well together.
Old 9/18/12, 01:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scuba-Matt
Save your money and buy the Ford filter. I would never use a oiled filter on a vehicle that uses a MAF sensor. Oil and MAF sensor don't play well together.
You bought into that, did you.
Old 9/18/12, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
Whats NONSENSE about this thread,the fact that you think its nonsense.Theres a lot of members on here i,m sure that want to know if they are about to waste money on a so called performance filter that yields nothing except the fact they they dont ever need to replace there air filter.K&N has always claimed there filters to be a performance upgrade,well in our cars they are not!!They yield nothing!!! And my experience is no placebo effect for the last time.I know my car,and i check my mileage with every single tank of gas.
Please don't take offense. That was not intended.

I put the paper filter back in and had the opposite experience you did. There is no question that there is a noticeable lack of response that was there prior with the KN. its not mammoth but noticeable at WOT. Btw, Im open minded which is why I spent money to test the theory.

"Nonsense" as referred to as we're getting heated up over something small. I was more curious about the high flow filter causing a vehicle to run lean and if the stock filter has some "more special" type of function. (I.e. specially designed filter for mustang that performance may hinge upon if altered) (throwing the computer off and the car running lean)

However,
Notice that both air filters will work on GT and V6. No doubt the coyote is a higher performing engine than the 3.7. This negates their exclusivity per application. Also, physically look at the paper compared to the lighter high flow KN. it's considerably more dense and that would inhibit air flow. High flow equals better throttle response and improved mpg. Beforehand, I honestly thought the paper filter may be making some delicate type of cork effect that was amazingly calibrated and tuned to the vehicle ECU. Yes, I was grasping at straws and humoring the theory.

The initial question was "was their too much flow with the KN and therefore caused power loss?" in conclusion, I was open minded to both ideas but the factory air filter is nothing special. The KN is a tad bit more special in its longevity and noticeable under certain conditions. These conditions are always changing. Yes, the KN performed great today and I felt it.... but it may not do well tomorrow.

KN filter: Just appreciate it for what it is. Economical. Save your pennies for gears and other power adders that are not only considerable but are irrefutable as well.

With respect,
Pat

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/18/12 at 02:52 PM.
Old 9/18/12, 05:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

All is cool!!
Old 9/20/12, 10:27 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tried K & N drop in air filter on my 2013 Boss 302, for 300 miles. Impression: might be causing "lean" condition, at high RPM. No noticeable power or torque gains, but seems to be less. My guess is Ford did a good job on stock air box and filter.
Old 9/20/12, 04:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

Looks like Ford did an excellent job on the stock intake!!!
Old 9/20/12, 05:32 PM

...So good of job that the v6 is tuned exactly like the v8! Best of all, Their paper air filters are universal on both models. You could use other brands of paper filters. Fram, STP, Mobil but I'm willing to bet that using another paper filter and not a "Ford Motorcraft" will be like crossing the streams.

Your engine will blow, lose power, and All life as we know it will cease to exist. Lol

Seriously, I'm writing to KN as we speak.

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/20/12 at 05:45 PM.
Old 9/21/12, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didnt but my 50 for the gas mileage