Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

JLT or Steeda CAI

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/13, 04:01 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JLT or Steeda CAI

I am getting ready to buy my CAI and tuner for my 13 GT and I'm torn between the JLT carbon fiber CAI with the BAMA tuner or the Steeda with a BAMA tuner, which way should I go? any suggestions? My car is a manual and it's bone stock for now, After the tuner and CAI I'm doing an axle back, most likely the FRPP GT500's and a resonator delete.

Lee
Old 9/6/13, 04:06 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,712 Likes on 1,219 Posts
Hello Lee.
FWIW, I hear nothing but good things about the JLT cai. I think they are a little better in quality and in supporting horsepower. If I ever do any performance mods, the JLT Big Air cai is on my list.
Just do some youtube research between the two.
Good luck and let us know how you made out.
Old 9/7/13, 04:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The best CAI is the one that came stock on your car believe it or not. So unless you like the looks of an aftermarket one save your money.
Old 9/7/13, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was going to say - I think it's not the CAI but the tune that improves performance. The CAI's are really just for looks.

But if you're hell-bent on buying one, it's a Coke/Pepsi thing. Both perform the same - pick the one you think is prettier....
Old 9/7/13, 08:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
Yes, the Ford intake system is fantastic, absolutely the best that has ever come from the factory. It will actually keep air charge temps slightly cooler under some conditions than an aftermarket cold air.

Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm.

Because Ford raised the HP numbers in 2013 to 420, the CAI and tune combined will see gains of up to 30 HP.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 9/7/13, 08:13 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
The best CAI is the one that came stock on your car believe it or not. So unless you like the looks of an aftermarket one save your money.
+1. The aftermarket CAI's are simply for looks. My last few Mustangs went just as quick/fast at the dragstrip with the factory airbox & aftermarket CAI's. It's the tuning that makes all the power. The factory airbox flows plenty enough for a stock or mildly modified 5.0L. Once you're wildly modified, then add the CAI to your list if you must.
Old 9/7/13, 08:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CAI does improve the sound of the car too. And believe me, these stock 5.0's need all the help they can get to allow that V8 to announce itself with how quiet it is. So combined with an aftermarket exhaust, the CAI really improves the tone of the car.
Old 9/7/13, 08:48 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by tj@steeda
Where the aftermarket cold air shines is in airflow to support higher horsepower. On the dyno we typically see 9 to 12 horsepower over the stock airbox, mostly above 4,000rpm.
So, is that with or without the tune TJ? Just wondering.
Old 9/7/13, 12:40 PM
Former Vendor

This is merely NA cars, yours (which I think is F/I) a CAI will help quite a bit. Increase boost around .5-1PSI and help with cooling.

The CAI does increase HP but its negligible on the N/A cars and most of that is based upon the ability of the tuner. I would recommend you going with a better tuner like VMP or Lund.

If you go for looks the JLT CF or Airaid CF hands down look the best, but that's simply for looks of course.
Old 9/7/13, 01:27 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
This is merely NA cars, yours (which I think is F/I) a CAI will help quite a bit. Increase boost around .5-1PSI and help with cooling.
The CAI does increase HP but its negligible on the N/A cars and most of that is based upon the ability of the tuner. I would recommend you going with a better tuner like VMP or Lund.
If you go for looks the JLT CF or Airaid CF hands down look the best, but that's simply for looks of course.
Yes, my car has a supercharger. Not only does the cai help, but the larger opening to the throttle body helps as well, thus increasing air. I would more than likely go with the JLT Big Air cai or (MAYBE) go with the Roush.
And, I would use either VMP, Lund or AED for tuning.
Old 9/7/13, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stage_3
Yes, my car has a supercharger. Not only does the cai help, but the larger opening to the throttle body helps as well, thus increasing air. I would more than likely go with the JLT Big Air cai or (MAYBE) go with the Roush.
And, I would use either VMP, Lund or AED for tuning.
Stick with the 127mm, great choice with the TVS. Justin at VMP is like a magician with these Roush blowers.
Old 9/7/13, 08:21 PM
Bullitt Member

I say keep the stock intake and get a better tune
Old 9/7/13, 08:22 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Stick with the 127mm, great choice with the TVS. Justin at VMP is like a magician with these Roush blowers.
That is the Big Air cai that I want. It will be nice to have that "whine", and of course, extra power.
Yeah, can't go wrong with VMP, Lund or AED in my opinion.
Old 9/7/13, 10:04 PM
GT Member

So what your saying is I should save my money with the CAI and just get a tuner, what about a drop in K&N filter element, I know they flow better then stock. I have a really good shop here in Orlando that's known for mustangs Lamotta Performance. I was thinking about calling them and getting the car dyno-tuned instead of just buying a tuner and getting a mail order tune?

Last edited by DinoDoc; 9/8/13 at 12:44 AM.
Old 9/7/13, 10:31 PM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you get a cai that doesn't require a tune you really won't see any power out of it. All true cai's for the mustang require a tune.
Old 9/8/13, 08:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
[QUOTE][So, is that with or without the tune TJ? Just wondering./QUOTE]

From what Gus provided me ... the gain was done by the CAI with a tune that did not increase performance. The car was tuned to adapt to the CAI.

Best Regards,

TJ

Last edited by tj@steeda; 9/8/13 at 06:21 PM.
Old 9/8/13, 09:35 AM
Roush Forum Stalker

[QUOTE=tj@steeda;6685107]
[So, is that with or without the tune TJ? Just wondering./QUOTE]
From what Gus provided me ... this was gain was done with a tune that did not increase performance. It was tuned to adapt to the CAI.
Best Regards, TJ
So, then it proves that a cai will improve performance, especially in a supercharged car. That is what I thought.
Thanks TJ!
Old 9/8/13, 10:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by DinoDoc
So what your saying is I should save my money with the CAI and just get a tuner, what about a drop in K&N filter element, I know they flow better then stock. I have a really good shop here in Orlando that's known for mustangs Lamotta Performance. I was thinking about calling them and getting the car dyno-tuned instead of just buying a tuner and getting a mail order tune?
Buy cat deletes from Steeda, and a SCT tuner from Lamotta. You will get a tune written by Mike S who works at SCT and for Lamotta. You will be thoroughly impressed with the power. I would only do a CAI (Tune Required) if you pick one up used.
Old 9/8/13, 10:52 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Lots of debate about that too, including a dyno test I remember that showed the K&N actually reduced horsepower. I have an Airraid lifetime one in mine, as it doesn't need to be reoiled like the K&N ones, just washed occasionally.
Old 9/9/13, 09:35 AM
Former Vendor

I am getting ready to buy my CAI and tuner for my 13 GT and I'm torn between the JLT carbon fiber CAI with the BAMA tuner or the Steeda with a BAMA tuner, which way should I go? any suggestions? My car is a manual and it's bone stock for now, After the tuner and CAI I'm doing an axle back, most likely the FRPP GT500's and a resonator delete.

Lee
I'm glad to see you're about to jump into the modification game with your Mustang. You're definitely starting in the right spot, a custom tune and CAI is going to be really beneficial. You'll notice gains of 30+ RWHP with either of the above CAI's when paired together with a Bama custom tune! JLT and Steeda make two of the best intake systems for your Mustang, so you really can't go wrong. I would just go with whatever system you feel looks better! The JLT Carbon Fiber system will stay a little bit cooler because of the materials.

The GT500 mufflers sound incredible on the 2011+ Mustangs. If you delete the cats and resonators it's really going to scream!

Hit me up if you have any questions or need some assistance. I hope this helps with your decision!

-Dan

Last edited by AMDanBailer; 9/9/13 at 09:36 AM.

Quick Reply: JLT or Steeda CAI