Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

I've experienced the JLT CAI surge ...

Search this Thread

Old 8/3/12, 07:58 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Here is how it is installed now. The hose clamp is at the lip at the edge of the filter. The JLT tube also has a lip which is on the other side of the hose camp inside the air filter. So unless you get a narrower clamp this is as far out on the the tube it can go.

For some reason in the pictures they appear to be the same distance out from the MAF sensor ... not sure why because you can see where the clamp is in the two pics.

Last edited by dmhines; 8/3/12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 8/3/12, 08:19 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is a collection of pics from the web .. all of these are mounted too close to the MAF and most have the hose clamp too far up also.

Name:  Picture153.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  150.4 KB

Last edited by dmhines; 8/3/12 at 08:22 PM.
Old 8/3/12, 08:21 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Here is picture for JLT website ...

Old 8/5/12, 03:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great find!!

with all the other pics that you posted vs your current pic I understand why there would be a surge condition in some cars. "if" the MAF sensor was located further down (toward the engine) the intake tract, the surging would be lessened or eliminated - as the air stream would be established in the tube with little or no turbulence.

Since the sensor is positioned closer to the filter end of the tube -- and if it is inserted closer to the center of the filter itself where turbulence is the greatest the tendency for the engine to react to random air pulses becomes apparent. good chance air is getting trapped at the large conical area of the filter and portion of the intake tube that is inserted into the filter --- this would cause air to "dam" up rather than travel straight down the tube as designed. once there is enough volume and air flow is constant the spill over could occur interrupting the flow -- just like an incorrectly positioned/sized funnel ..
Old 8/5/12, 05:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the JLT intake & the Bama tune and have the same surging you describe.

I first called Bama about it and they said its because of the increased throttle responsiveness.

I then went through the process of chamfering the transition at the end of the intake tube. That ended up making no difference.

I honestly think that the Bama tune is to blame, I've ran 2 other brand tunes besides the Bama one and the other 2 do not surge whatsoever.

It's too bad because the Bama tune feels like it makes the most power. I've learned to just live with it and enjoy the power.
Old 8/6/12, 08:12 PM
Cobra R Member

^^^ why I'm hesitant to tune. Lol

I'd LOVE a steeda CAI with a black air box
Old 8/6/12, 09:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
^^^ why I'm hesitant to tune. Lol

I'd LOVE a steeda CAI with a black air box
Yep! I understand your apprehension -- you and 30-40% of owners decide to wait and see

Same thing happened on the BMW forums regarding tuners/tuning. There was one tuner; GIAC ... they are stellar... but then again they do a boatload of inhouse testing and dozen of mule cars across the country. It took over a two years to release the tune for the twin-turbo 335i -- but then again it was flawless...

it really depends on your market -- some folks are willing to wait, others dont mind being a rolling development lab
Old 8/7/12, 08:26 AM
GT Member

There seem to be tons of mixed bag review with bama and surging is one of the main issue I hear with bama guys. Most guys with vmp, Amazon, and few other never ever have this issue. I do believe the main culprit is the the tune. I just feel that you as a customer shouldn't have to modify anything to make something better. That's their job weather it's bama, JLT, or whoever.
Old 8/7/12, 12:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good to hear moving the filter to the correct position fixed your surge.

This is not modification or change to the product, it's just a simple tip to put the filter at the end of the tube for smooth air flow.

When we designed the tube we never thought people would put the filter anywhere but the end of the tube. Well, as you see that's not the case, so we make it clear in the directions where it should be.

You always want the at the end of the tube no matter what your working on.

It's also known that tons of people have a idle surge with the stock tune as well as aftermarket tunes.
We have sent many tunes out to customers that fixed a surge from another tuner.

Thanks
Jay
Old 8/7/12, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
2012GTCS,

Give us a ring and we can get that for you!!

PM for special forum pricing if you are looking for a unit.

Best Regards,

TJ
Old 8/7/12, 02:31 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Tucker
Good to hear moving the filter to the correct position fixed your surge.

This is not modification or change to the product, it's just a simple tip to put the filter at the end of the tube for smooth air flow.

When we designed the tube we never thought people would put the filter anywhere but the end of the tube. Well, as you see that's not the case, so we make it clear in the directions where it should be.

You always want the at the end of the tube no matter what your working on.

It's also known that tons of people have a idle surge with the stock tune as well as aftermarket tunes.
We have sent many tunes out to customers that fixed a surge from another tuner.

Thanks
Jay
I second that comment

In a very clear but minute way, this illustrates the need for understanding how a component works - all too often folks will buy a part without fully understanding how the part works.

I am currently undertaking the task of building a small block Chevy stroker motor with my nieces' husband (i tried to convince him to go with Ford -- but he is young and impressionable; as i too was in my youth) and it took me two days to de-program him from all the stuff he had read on the internet.

but i was amazed that when i started talking cylinder head flow dynamics, cam profiling and other things he was like a sponge -- he was just missing the face to face explanation of how and why.

Getting a part to work for you sometimes takes putting on your thinking cap ---

Nobody really goes fast without understanding HOW they got there ....

just an ol' man's $.02

Last edited by Shifterboy45; 8/7/12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 8/8/12, 11:54 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
when I am ready I will get the boss CAI from steeda to fit to a boss Manifold.. I just wish the heat shield was black like the one for the 5.0 GT one..
We can do this for you... message me when you are ready.