Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

I've experienced the JLT CAI surge ...

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/12, 07:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've experienced the JLT CAI surge ...

Just installed my JLT Carbon Fiber intake and Bama Tunes tonight.

Been out driving to see how the tune and CAI are behaving. Since I don't beat on my car 100% of the time (more like 1%) I'm generally at part throttle.

I noticed a lot surging above 3000 RPM during light acceleration or even cruise at part throttle. Of course the OEM tune never did this.

Wasn't hard to find on the Internet other folks having problems with JLT's CAI design causing air turbulence going into the MAF sensor. The turbulence caused the surging.

As recommended I moved the hose clamp to the very edge of the Air filter and installed the air filter as far to the end of the inlet Tube as possible. There is actually a ridge on the air filter and a ridge on the intake tube. When you have the hose clamp nestled between the two ridges the filter is now as straight and far out as it can possibly get.

Tightened it all down and it was NIGHT and DAY difference. I cruised and light accelerated at part throttle for several miles with no surge at all. Amazing how moving the filter out just 1/2 inch or so made such a difference. Also by positioning the clamp between the ridges it ensured the filter was perfectly aligned with the opening of the intake tube.

Anyone with a JLT experiencing surges I recommend you give it a try.
Old 8/2/12, 10:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the info. It will probably help someone along the lines.

Their design needs to be fixed if this is the case.
Old 8/3/12, 07:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Thanks for the info. It will probably help someone along the lines.

Their design needs to be fixed if this is the case.
Agreed, no reason why a consumer should have to change the design in order for it to work. At least this narrows down my choices
Old 8/3/12, 08:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not sure where my filter sits but I have no part throttle issues, my issues are at idle the car wont keep a constant RPM but I feel its more in the tune...
Old 8/3/12, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
Im not sure where my filter sits but I have no part throttle issues, my issues are at idle the car wont keep a constant RPM but I feel its more in the tune...
Yes .. my car idles same as stock .. even turning A/C on and off it still behaves as stock. I'm guessing the tune in your case ...
Old 8/3/12, 08:26 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I spoke to bama and they helped and gave a tip on letting the car idle for 10 minutes then turn the AC on for 10.
Old 8/3/12, 08:44 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by slostang
I spoke to bama and they helped and gave a tip on letting the car idle for 10 minutes then turn the AC on for 10.
I see you have more mods than me .. my only mod is the JLT CAI.
Old 8/3/12, 08:54 AM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dmhines
Just installed my JLT Carbon Fiber intake and Bama Tunes tonight.

Been out driving to see how the tune and CAI are behaving. Since I don't beat on my car 100% of the time (more like 1%) I'm generally at part throttle.

I noticed a lot surging above 3000 RPM during light acceleration or even cruise at part throttle. Of course the OEM tune never did this.

Wasn't hard to find on the Internet other folks having problems with JLT's CAI design causing air turbulence going into the MAF sensor. The turbulence caused the surging.

As recommended I moved the hose clamp to the very edge of the Air filter and installed the air filter as far to the end of the inlet Tube as possible. There is actually a ridge on the air filter and a ridge on the intake tube. When you have the hose clamp nestled between the two ridges the filter is now as straight and far out as it can possibly get.

Tightened it all down and it was NIGHT and DAY difference. I cruised and light accelerated at part throttle for several miles with no surge at all. Amazing how moving the filter out just 1/2 inch or so made such a difference. Also by positioning the clamp between the ridges it ensured the filter was perfectly aligned with the opening of the intake tube.

Anyone with a JLT experiencing surges I recommend you give it a try.
dmhines,

This forums amazing, you can find anything on here! The phantom "JLT Surging" issue is definitely caused by the placement of the filter, it causes a cross flow through the MAF which causes the "surging". I'm glad to see you found the correct information & were able to fix your issue by your self! Let me know if you need further assistance.

- Dan
Old 8/3/12, 10:57 AM
Cobra R Member

Hence why I will go steeda when the time comes.
Old 8/3/12, 11:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Good to hear, i just purchased steeda CAI.
Old 8/3/12, 11:34 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
can you get a picture of theintake on where the filter is, I took mine off and put stock on it because of that surging...
Old 8/3/12, 11:38 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I am not dissing the JLT intake .. I'm just saying be careful when installing it since it may take more finesse than other brands.

I don't like Shiny Things ... so the Steeda was defintely not for me .. I personally think it looks like something that was pieced together.

I just went out for lunch ... 95 degrees in GA ... side roads and highways down to the mall. Ran perfect and still no surging ..

The JLT Carbon Fiber is definitely the best looking CAI on the market ...

Here is a pic of the original install .. with the filter installed in a way that caused surging. I will take a picture of how it looks now with the surge resolved this evening.

Last edited by dmhines; 8/3/12 at 11:39 AM.
Old 8/3/12, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks, I remember my Mazdaspeed 3 having this problem, AEM made a "air straightener" over the MAF sensor..
Old 8/3/12, 11:47 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 2012GTCS
Hence why I will go steeda when the time comes.
If there was a like button like Facebook has , this would get one.
Old 8/3/12, 06:34 PM
Bullitt Member

when I am ready I will get the boss CAI from steeda to fit to a boss Manifold.. I just wish the heat shield was black like the one for the 5.0 GT one..
Old 8/3/12, 07:01 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by stang8psi
when I am ready I will get the boss CAI from steeda to fit to a boss Manifold.. I just wish the heat shield was black like the one for the 5.0 GT one..
You can always paint it
Old 8/3/12, 07:12 PM
Bullitt Member

Is this an issue with all jlt intake or just the carbon version? Ive been running my plastic one for well over a year now with no issues.
Old 8/3/12, 07:12 PM
V6 Member

hmmm i just installed my jlt intake and bama tune, and i noticed at low acceleration the car feels like its surging forward like its wants to take off unleash the power.... but not sure if its the intake surging
Old 8/3/12, 07:38 PM
Banned

MY JLT will be here next week, thank you very much for this information, now I'll know to be careful when I install it in the car.
Old 8/3/12, 07:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by blk_on_blk
hmmm i just installed my jlt intake and bama tune, and i noticed at low acceleration the car feels like its surging forward like its wants to take off unleash the power.... but not sure if its the intake surging
LOL. No. If your mustang is surging forward and it's not in response to you depressing the gas pedal then that is what I'm talking about. I'd be curious of your filter placement.

Quick Reply: I've experienced the JLT CAI surge ...