5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Hypermotive selling AED Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 9/9/14, 12:25 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Another forum that I frequent, SVTPerformance, has caught wind of some controversy. I felt it should be mentioned here for members looking for tunes.

Mike Wilson, the tuner who left Bama(AM), and joined Hypermotive, has been found to have sold Shaun's(AED) tunes. Pretty pathetic. No wonder Bama had ****ty tunes, Mike Wilson can't tune to save his life.

Just wanted to share with you folks since I'm sure you guys don't frequent the performance-oriented forum.

All the info is in this thread below:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ermotive-tunes

Last edited by KushBandit; 9/9/14 at 12:29 AM.
Old 9/9/14, 07:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... Thanks KushBandit for sharing.

Cheers,
-Matt
Old 9/9/14, 08:16 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by KushBandit
Another forum that I frequent, SVTPerformance, has caught wind of some controversy. I felt it should be mentioned here for members looking for tunes.

Mike Wilson, the tuner who left Bama(AM), and joined Hypermotive, has been found to have sold Shaun's(AED) tunes. Pretty pathetic. No wonder Bama had ****ty tunes, Mike Wilson can't tune to save his life.
Shaun sounds like a decent guy, aside from unknowingly recording a personal phone call with a "friend" with the intent to discredit Mike's character and his work.

With as long as Mike's been tuning, I highly doubt he's not able to write his own files. He took shortcuts. Was it right? No. But we all do it. It sounds like he was trying to get around the non-compete by being under the table and not doing the actual tuning.

It's unfortunate that Mustang tuning is nothing more than constant attempts to discredit the rest...
Old 9/9/14, 09:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is shady when a company starts selling tunes, but "wont reveal who their tuner is" . I know Hypermotive sells parts at good prices but stealing someone elses work and selling it at a huge discount raises a LOT of questions about their business. Hate to hear things like this but money makes people do stupid things at times.

To make matters MUCH worse, on ANOTHER forum, people are data logging the tunes Hypermotive was selling and MANY are turing up some dangerous logs. A lot of the guys running those tunes are taking them off their cars. Knock sensors being turned off over 7k rpms, high timing and a spark curve that is upside down. A respected tuner looking at the files commented that they look like cylinder popper tunes to him. Now that $99 tune is not looking like such a deal. Hypermotive is not tuning any more, so those who want revisions are going to have to shell out more $ to get retuned. What a cluster-fvck

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...atalogged.html

Last edited by Deerslayer; 9/9/14 at 09:56 AM.
Old 9/9/14, 09:53 AM
Just Plain Rude!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
It is shady when a company starts selling tunes, but "wont reveal who their tuner is" . I know Hypermotive sells parts at good prices but stealing someone elses work and selling it at a huge discount raises a LOT of questions about their business. Hate to hear things like this but money makes people do stupid things at times.
I agree. It certainly raises questions about their business practices. But it also seems like a simple (legitimate) business opportunity has now presented itself.

Why not sell Hypermotive the rights to use/re-sell his tunes? Perhaps limit them to basic tunes, limited datalogs, limited updates, single tune (as opposed to multiple octanes), etc. and get kickbacks from each tune they sell.

Re-selling the same thing to people under a different brand-name is definitely nothing new.
Old 9/9/14, 10:01 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why I wait on anything new. Wanting to tune soon and was considering Hypermotive. They definitely lost a lot of points with me for any purchases. Lund or AED it is.
Old 9/9/14, 10:04 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts

Well, I've bought stuff from Hyper. This is a shock. I was actually going to stop by AED next Tuesday, as I'll be in the area. I'll ask Shaun face to face, as we discuss my plans for supercharging down the road
Old 9/9/14, 10:15 AM
GT Member

I think the problem was that Mike was using Shaun's base files and adjusting some parameters himself. It was not just Shaun's work which is top notch from everything I have ever seen. The data logs those tunes are showing is certainly not a pure AED tune. I will be shocked if Bama/AM doesn't get involved as Mike had a non-compete for tuning. Seems THAT would be a reason why Hyper would not reveal their tuners name in the beginning.......and the fact he was a former lead Bama tuner LOL.....

Last edited by Deerslayer; 9/9/14 at 10:21 AM.
Old 9/9/14, 11:53 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa... this is shocking to me.

I too, am a big Hypermotive fan, at least for the products and customer service they provide, can't speak for their tunes.

Where is Jay or Dan in all this? Hopefully they can chime in? This is news.

So let me get this straight.

Hyper's "secret tuner" is Mike Wilson, who was a former Bama (ughhhhhhhhhhh....) lead Tuner? If so, how did he happen across Shaun's AED base tune files? Am confused. I know I'm sure AED is in NO WAY affiliated with Bama. For their sake, I hope not.

And what's with the 99 dollar tunes? Last I asked, they were still 300 and over for the remote tune.

So folks are having issues with Mike Wilson's/Hypermotive's tune, being unsafe?????

Uh oh....
Old 9/9/14, 12:11 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, this is all true.

I had a long conversation with Shaun over at AED about this. We both were lied to on this matter and we both were played pretty hard. I wont deny we kept the tuner name a secret but that wasn't me trying to be "shady". Just wanted Hypermotive to be known as a place you could go to for all things performance.

This has been a very humble moment for myself and the rest of my crew. We've tried very, very hard to remain and stay as honest and loyal to our customers as possible. That has been jeopardized and its something I'm trying to gain back, I know it will take time. We no longer have Mike tuning for us, it took us about a week to part ways with Mike once everything broke out, mainly because that's how long it took for me to speak with Shaun.

To be honest, both Shaun and I are completely embarrassed we allowed ourselves to be fooled to this level. Shaun gave tunes to Mike in confidence he would not use them as email tunes and I contracted him with the confidence he would perform his duties as a tuner successfully.

Shaun stated that Mike is a good tuner however, he was out of the tuning scene long enough that he was WAY behind..... something else that I simply did not know.

A lot has been learned, I have learned truly those out there that quickly turned their back on us and those who stood by us. For those who stood by our side, we thank you.

In the end, I'm completely responsible for what comes out of Hypermotive and I accept full responsibility. I've been extremely embarrassed of the entire situation and I'll do everything within my power to gain each and everyone of your trust back. I'm not proud of what happened nor do I condone any of the actions that has taken place. I'm not and will not make excuses for what happened, I will simply say that I apologize for what has happened and I will take extra precautionary steps the next time we choose a tuner.

If anyone of you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask me, if you'd like to talk to Shaun I can assure you he will say the same thing as I did.
Old 9/9/14, 12:20 PM
Former Vendor

To make matters MUCH worse, on ANOTHER forum, people are data logging the tunes Hypermotive was selling and MANY are turing up some dangerous logs. A lot of the guys running those tunes are taking them off their cars. Knock sensors being turned off over 7k rpms, high timing and a spark curve that is upside down. A respected tuner looking at the files commented that they look like cylinder popper tunes to him. Now that $99 tune is not looking like such a deal. Hypermotive is not tuning any more, so those who want revisions are going to have to shell out more $ to get retuned. What a cluster-fvck

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...atalogged.html

I will state that you cannot turn off knock sensors at a specific RPM. There are 3 ways, completely turn them off, set them to individual which reads 0 but each cylinder pulls timing or global which allows you to read knock.

lol, I've learned a lot the past couple weeks on tuning. If I had the time I would be nose deep in the tuning books, just don't have the time right now.
Old 9/9/14, 12:21 PM
GT Member

Jay,
I would think that Hyper should just refund everyone that bought the $99 if they didnt feel comfortable with using it. Having to buy yet another tune is not fair to the customers.

Last edited by Deerslayer; 9/9/14 at 12:25 PM.
Old 9/9/14, 12:26 PM
Former Vendor

Jay,
I would think that Hyper should just refund everyone that bought the $99 if they didnt feel comfortable with it.

Its something we're looking into right now. I'm willing to do that as well. I've actually paid Mike for his services but I don't expect him to refund me everything he did.

I've been letting everyone know to contact me personally.
Old 9/9/14, 12:26 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Jay@Hypermotive
Yep, this is all true. I had a long conversation with Shaun over at AED about this. We both were lied to on this matter and we both were played pretty hard. I wont deny we kept the tuner name a secret but that wasn't me trying to be "shady". Just wanted Hypermotive to be known as a place you could go to for all things performance. This has been a very humble moment for myself and the rest of my crew. We've tried very, very hard to remain and stay as honest and loyal to our customers as possible. That has been jeopardized and its something I'm trying to gain back, I know it will take time. We no longer have Mike tuning for us, it took us about a week to part ways with Mike once everything broke out, mainly because that's how long it took for me to speak with Shaun. To be honest, both Shaun and I are completely embarrassed we allowed ourselves to be fooled to this level. Shaun gave tunes to Mike in confidence he would not use them as email tunes and I contracted him with the confidence he would perform his duties as a tuner successfully. Shaun stated that Mike is a good tuner however, he was out of the tuning scene long enough that he was WAY behind..... something else that I simply did not know. A lot has been learned, I have learned truly those out there that quickly turned their back on us and those who stood by us. For those who stood by our side, we thank you. In the end, I'm completely responsible for what comes out of Hypermotive and I accept full responsibility. I've been extremely embarrassed of the entire situation and I'll do everything within my power to gain each and everyone of your trust back. I'm not proud of what happened nor do I condone any of the actions that has taken place. I'm not and will not make excuses for what happened, I will simply say that I apologize for what has happened and I will take extra precautionary steps the next time we choose a tuner. If anyone of you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask me, if you'd like to talk to Shaun I can assure you he will say the same thing as I did.
Thanks Jay. Those of us who support you couldn't truly believe all of this, so I had planned on asking Shaun directly. I should be able to stop by AED next Tuesday, and I will bump this thread with my findings. I assume they will corroborate what you're saying.

I'm glad no one's engine was blown...
Old 9/9/14, 12:30 PM
GT Member

I know this is a tough time for Hypermotive, but keep doing the right things and you will earn everyone's trust back. Doesnt always come as quickly as we like, but as you have learned, perception can be ruined quickly and always takes time to change it or get it back to where it was.
Old 9/9/14, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by laserred38
Thanks Jay. Those of us who support you couldn't truly believe all of this, so I had planned on asking Shaun directly. I should be able to stop by AED next Tuesday, and I will bump this thread with my findings. I assume they will corroborate what you're saying.

I'm glad no one's engine was blown...

Me too, I would be forking over a lot of money!!

Shaun was nice enough to sell his tunes to our customers for 151 which is 99 off the 250 price he charges for his tunes. Figured this would help both of us.
I have also talked to Justin at VMP and he is willing to help us out with providing custom tunes to our customers and I will pay half that price and provide a credit on top of that.
Old 9/9/14, 12:38 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Yep, this is all true.

I had a long conversation with Shaun over at AED about this. We both were lied to on this matter and we both were played pretty hard. I wont deny we kept the tuner name a secret but that wasn't me trying to be "shady". Just wanted Hypermotive to be known as a place you could go to for all things performance.

This has been a very humble moment for myself and the rest of my crew. We've tried very, very hard to remain and stay as honest and loyal to our customers as possible. That has been jeopardized and its something I'm trying to gain back, I know it will take time. We no longer have Mike tuning for us, it took us about a week to part ways with Mike once everything broke out, mainly because that's how long it took for me to speak with Shaun.

To be honest, both Shaun and I are completely embarrassed we allowed ourselves to be fooled to this level. Shaun gave tunes to Mike in confidence he would not use them as email tunes and I contracted him with the confidence he would perform his duties as a tuner successfully.

Shaun stated that Mike is a good tuner however, he was out of the tuning scene long enough that he was WAY behind..... something else that I simply did not know.

A lot has been learned, I have learned truly those out there that quickly turned their back on us and those who stood by us. For those who stood by our side, we thank you.

In the end, I'm completely responsible for what comes out of Hypermotive and I accept full responsibility. I've been extremely embarrassed of the entire situation and I'll do everything within my power to gain each and everyone of your trust back. I'm not proud of what happened nor do I condone any of the actions that has taken place. I'm not and will not make excuses for what happened, I will simply say that I apologize for what has happened and I will take extra precautionary steps the next time we choose a tuner.

If anyone of you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask me, if you'd like to talk to Shaun I can assure you he will say the same thing as I did.
Me too, I would be forking over a lot of money!!

Shaun was nice enough to sell his tunes to our customers for 151 which is 99 off the 250 price he charges for his tunes. Figured this would help both of us.
I have also talked to Justin at VMP and he is willing to help us out with providing custom tunes to our customers and I will pay half that price and provide a credit on top of that.
Jay... thanks for jumping in on this thread. I figured you and Dan would want to chime in.

Everyone makes mistakes and we all learn from them. But do me a favor next time, maybe don't hire anyone from BAMA? LOL... Those 4 letters on its own would make me (and others) not want your tunes if you sold them.

Keep us posted on the updates. I took a lot of my business to you, and I was very (and still am) happy with the services and product both you and Dan provide. I don't want it to change despite of this. If anything, I expect you guys to be even better.

Thanks, Jay.

Last edited by FromZto5; 9/9/14 at 12:39 PM.
Old 9/9/14, 01:32 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad to see Jay has stepped in to speak a bit on this subject.

I'd like to point out that I did not start this thread to create more drama or to bash Hypermotive. Just wanted to share information.
Old 9/9/14, 01:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

This always should be the case when problems like this arise. Just be honest and tell the whole truth. You guys are a great company and just got juked. Happens to the best. Thanks for the honesty, I'll still gladly use Hypermotive.
Old 9/9/14, 01:42 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Sorry, but this needs to be said. This is exactly why I don't care for AM or Bama. That's the kind of people the work there.

/thread.

Quick Reply: Hypermotive selling AED Tunes