5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Hurst shifter for 2011 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 1/29/11, 11:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurst shifter for 2011 5.0

Does anyone else wish there was a Hurst shifter with the white cue ball and chrome blade handle for the 5.0?

There is a Hurst shifter for the 5.0 as announced in this press release:

http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/1...11-mustang-gt/

The cue ball there looks awesome, but it's definitely missing something without the blade, as they had with the 2005-10 short shifters.

I really love the look and feel of the Hurst in my '05. The chrome blade handle matches the chrome gauge bezels, and then you add the white cue ball for an amazing retro look overall, IMO. And it goes without saying that the action of the shifter is far more precise and solid than the stock shifter.

Has anyone heard any news or rumors of a Hurst with the chrome blade and cue ball for the 2011 5.0? Or if not a complete shifter, how about just a blade and the cue ball that could attach to the stock shifter?
Old 1/30/11, 08:56 AM
V6 Member

Not a lot of interest for me. But that could be because I already have a short shifter.

I have the Barton Industries short shifter and it is probably the best throw I've felt in my life. Can't think of a single reason to switch from Barton to Hurst.
Old 1/30/11, 09:36 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hurst that comes as an option on the camaro ss felt awful when I test drove it.

IMO, there's no option that should be considered other then a Barton. After feeling both a Barton, stock, and a steeda, the Barton is by far the superior one, and is what will be the first mod on my car.
Old 1/30/11, 10:11 AM
GT Member

No reverse lockout... no way.
Old 1/30/11, 10:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

No offense to those who love the Barton. No doubt it's a nice upgrade. I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. If your goal is stricly performance, then maybe the Hurst will not be as good as the Barton, though at this point, no one really knows that for sure.

The thing that Hurst has that no one else in the shifter business has, is a legacy that goes back to the 1950s. You could compare the Hurst to a Fender Stratocaster guitar -- the Strat has been around for decades, is largely still the same guitar as when Jimi Hendrix played one, and even though there are more modern guitars that are technically better, the Strat still has a quality and look that is timeless and preferred by many. It's pretty much the same with the Hurst - the one in my '05 looks just like the Hurst unit that came stock from the factory in the 1971 Olds 4-4-2 W-30 that I once owned - and that's the only look I want! It's pointless to compare the looks of the Hurst with anything else, IMO.

Last edited by wjones14; 1/30/11 at 10:44 AM.
Old 1/30/11, 01:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
No reverse lockout... no way.
Hurst apparently removed the lockout "feature" because the feedback they were getting was that many owners didn't like it. So there's no way to please 100% of prospective buyers, unless they offered two different models -- one with the lockout and one without.

But my intention here is not really to compare the Hurst to other shifters out there, or review the Hurst shifter (which isn't even released yet, as far as I know). My intention is to find out if there might be a Hurst shifter with the classic cue ball and chrome blade handle in the works. Even if it were just a bolt-on handle and ball, and not the complete shifter - I would prefer the looks of that to the stock shifter.
Old 1/30/11, 02:44 PM
Bullitt Member

Personally for me the cue ball was ok but their aluminum T handle with chrome shifter got my eye. But what ever makes you happy is all that really matters now isnt it
Old 2/5/11, 10:30 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by wjones14

The thing that Hurst has that no one else in the shifter business has, is a legacy that goes back to the 1950s. You could compare the Hurst to a Fender Stratocaster guitar -- the Strat has been around for decades, is largely still the same guitar as when Jimi Hendrix played one, and even though there are more modern guitars that are technically better, the Strat still has a quality and look that is timeless and preferred by many. It's pretty much the same with the Hurst - the one in my '05 looks just like the Hurst unit that came stock from the factory in the 1971 Olds 4-4-2 W-30 that I once owned - and that's the only look I want! It's pointless to compare the looks of the Hurst with anything else, IMO.
I totally agree with you. when I had my '05 I installed the Hurst. The Steeda and MWG or whatever it's called were clearly superior shifters but neither had that sexy look of a Hurst. I'm not sure if the look "fits" with the 10+ Mustang, but with the 05 - 09 I wouldn't use anything else.