5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

How much more potential does the BOSS motor have than the "regular" 5.0?

Search this Thread

Old 7/26/11, 08:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
How much more potential does the BOSS motor have than the "regular" 5.0?

So the BOSS motor has some very nice upgrades- forged pistons and rods, sodium filled valves, better flowing heads, and a manifold that takes advantage of the upgraded motor's high redline.

When it comes to tuning and adding bolt-ons, how much more can you get out of a Boss motor? Do the stronger and lighter internals allow for significantly greater power?

How does the Boss motor compare for handling boost?

Any info or speculation is welcome.

Last edited by MRGTX; 7/26/11 at 08:12 AM.
Old 7/26/11, 11:19 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess time will tell.I don't think you will see the same level of modding with the Boss that you see with the GT.I'm glad to see Ford offering the various Boss parts for us GT owners.

I see plenty of GT's pushing the 500hp mark with stock powdered forged internals and holding up just fine so thats good .I like the idea of building your own motor and choosing your Compression ratio,pistons,rods etc

I have yet to see a Boss on the streets but I've got a surprise for the first one that test's me
Old 7/27/11, 06:00 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zilla8
I guess time will tell.I don't think you will see the same level of modding with the Boss that you see with the GT.I'm glad to see Ford offering the various Boss parts for us GT owners.

I see plenty of GT's pushing the 500hp mark with stock powdered forged internals and holding up just fine so thats good .I like the idea of building your own motor and choosing your Compression ratio,pistons,rods etc

I have yet to see a Boss on the streets but I've got a surprise for the first one that test's me
This is a good point that the Boss cars are less likely to be modded...and I have no doubt that yours will show a stock Boss the tail lights

So I guess the question is- what is the first weak link in the standard Coyote? Does the Boss address that?

That manifold really looks like a nice mod for folks with the 3.73 gears and the craziness to rev 500rpm past redline...what else from the Boss motor is worth adding?
Old 7/27/11, 06:39 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't mod a boss and I don't think as many people will as with the 5.0's
Old 7/28/11, 12:57 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by MRGTX
This is a good point that the Boss cars are less likely to be modded...and I have no doubt that yours will show a stock Boss the tail lights

So I guess the question is- what is the first weak link in the standard Coyote? Does the Boss address that?

That manifold really looks like a nice mod for folks with the 3.73 gears and the craziness to rev 500rpm past redline...what else from the Boss motor is worth adding?
pistons.

beers
Old 7/28/11, 01:27 AM
Bullitt Member

I look at the Boss as a special Mustang.If I had bought one I would leave it stock and not worry about it being as fast as a modded GT.

I bet that stock Boss would be worth twice as much as my modded GT in a few years.
It looks like most people are going for the Boss appearance parts as opposed to the engine parts except for the intake.
Old 7/28/11, 10:57 AM
Bullitt Member

yah I think guys realize that with their GT's they can slap a supercharge on it and demolish a boss in a straight line so any performance upgrades for the engine that the boss has are virtually irrelevant to the GT and I really don't think that the boss suspension stuff is all that great compared to the aftermarket stuff either.
Old 7/28/11, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If I had bought the 2012 GB GT I was looking at I would mod the **** out of it. When I decided to buy the Boss instead I decided a few mods.. but nothing crazy. This car is already fun to drive as it is. This things LOVES high RPMs. Once I get her to the Sebring track I will decide what mod direction go. I suspect that will be mostly suspension / tires / rims.
Old 7/28/11, 02:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
yah I think guys realize that with their GT's they can slap a supercharge on it and demolish a boss in a straight line so any performance upgrades for the engine that the boss has are virtually irrelevant to the GT and I really don't think that the boss suspension stuff is all that great compared to the aftermarket stuff either.
I agree with everything everybody said, but you really don't need a supercharger to beat a boss in a straightline. Their niche is in the twisties. I do like there engine upgrades over the gt which leads me to the question I have had for years....why can't ford just give us their best ideas in the gt. It would be nice lol.
Old 7/28/11, 03:16 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by mystickeith50
I agree with everything everybody said, but you really don't need a supercharger to beat a boss in a straightline. Their niche is in the twisties. I do like there engine upgrades over the gt which leads me to the question I have had for years....why can't ford just give us their best ideas in the gt. It would be nice lol.
because the bean counters are ultimately in charge. There's a good interview video with bob Lutz after he retired where he dished out all the dirt on how the bean counters ultimately can destroy an outstanding idea.

Very insightful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3Nijmh0Ixo

The rods used in the GT cost ford less than 2 dollars apiece. The forged rods that the cobras get cost around 12 dollars a rod. You'd think that ford could offer a "$1000 for forged rods" option for a potential GT buyer but NOPE!!
Old 7/28/11, 07:48 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mystickeith50
You do know the Boss is pretty quick in a straightline as well right?
Old 7/28/11, 08:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Yes, I'm just saying that ur a cai and tune away from being there in a straight-line, not a blower.
Old 7/31/11, 08:49 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the Boss has the head flow mods that 500rwhp requires. it already has the heads, intake manifold , rpm safety. add longtubes,cai,cams and more than 500 is doable.