Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

HID headlight upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 2/28/12, 09:58 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by ShaneGT
well being that the kit you posted is 250 ish, why not just fork over an extra 100 and get the new housings with HIDs from American muscle?...
---------------------
I paid a total of $175 including S&H and tax. I had a discount code and they were on sale last year. Plus, I really like the way the halogen set-up is (headlights out-board, turn signals in-board) more than the HID set-up, which is reversed.
Old 2/29/12, 03:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well being that the kit you posted is 250 ish, why not just fork over an extra 100 and get the new housings with HIDs from American muscle?...
Show me where this product is hidden on their site?
Old 2/29/12, 10:09 AM
Bullitt Member

OP that cruizin concepts link you posted with those HID's are being sold all over ebay for under $100. Don't buy that cheap *** junk,
Old 2/29/12, 06:17 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
after further looking into it.. my bad, they call them projectors, but its still halogen..
Old 2/29/12, 06:52 PM

after further looking into it.. my bad, they call them projectors, but its still halogen..
---------------
I thought so, they look good, halo-effect, but not HID, so no improvement in light.
Old 2/29/12, 07:00 PM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people have put 35w HID's into the raxiom headlights without issue.

It's a true projector, and will give you much better focused light compared to an HID in a halogen housing, and will also not blind everyone else on the road.
Old 2/29/12, 08:11 PM

Mine do not blind oncoming drivers. Get a high-quality kit, get 4300K, and the light is no brighter than any stock HID install.
Old 2/29/12, 08:38 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
Mine do not blind oncoming drivers. Get a high-quality kit, get 4300K, and the light is no brighter than any stock HID install.
Wrong. There is no difference in the qualities of the kits. You are still putting an arc bulb with a different focus point in a reflector designed for a filament bulb.

Just because the color temp is the same does not mean it is "just as good" as factory HID. HID bulbs require a specially designed reflector housing, or much more commonly a projector with a built in cutoff.

Put your car side by side next to a factory HID equipped car and you will see just how much light you are throwing all over the road, based on your putting the wrong type of bulb in the stock housing.

It's simple light physics, that you change the center point of light in a mirror, you change the entire characteristics of light scatter. You can't argue that with "quality of kit" and color temp. It's about bulb style and light center.
Old 2/29/12, 08:47 PM

My goodness, you have your panties in a twist over this one, don't you? I guess I would be upset also if I spent $900 on an HID upgrade option only to find out that aftermarket costs less than $200. Oh well.
Old 2/29/12, 09:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by PJRManagement
My goodness, you have your panties in a twist over this one, don't you? I guess I would be upset also if I spent $900 on an HID upgrade option only to find out that aftermarket costs less than $200. Oh well.

What you do in your spare time is your business, but I personally don't wear panties. To each their own though if that's what you like.

I do things right, or not at all. You don't live by that philosophy, so agree to disagree.

I love my stock, brighter, more focused, and safer HID's and they were worth much more than 900.

Last edited by LEwis26; 2/29/12 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2/29/12, 09:18 PM

Must be a cold and bitter night in Chicago...
Old 3/2/12, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by stang8psi
OP that cruizin concepts link you posted with those HID's are being sold all over ebay for under $100. Don't buy that cheap *** junk,
Thanks for the tip.
Old 3/2/12, 08:33 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by redneb

Thanks for the tip.
TWSS!
Old 3/8/12, 04:41 PM
V6 Member

I have a slightly different question. I am trying to have factory HID's installed in my 2012 Roush (my selling dealer is doing the work), and right now they are stumped. If I understand the situation, since the car wasn't built with this option, the smart junction box isn't properly 'dealing with' the HID's. The evidence is that they cannot get the high beams to work. The smart junction box is getting the signal from the high beam switch, but is not sending the signal to the lights themselves. Anyone have any thoughts or advice?

[I think there has to be a solution, because other cars exist with my desired combination of electronics (HID's, Nav system, no backup camera, no heated seats, etc.)]. ??
Old 3/8/12, 07:11 PM
Cobra R Member

theres a link to a factory Halogen to HID swap out there somewhere....Link anyone???

I was deabting doing this myself...
Old 3/9/12, 12:21 AM

See if this has the correct info for you...
http://www.xenonsupply.com/media/sto...y%20Manual.pdf
Pages 5-8 are the different wiring diagrams - depending upon hi/lo confirguration. Hope this helps.
Old 3/9/12, 06:44 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by LEwis26
I do things right, or not at all. You don't live by that philosophy, so agree to disagree.

I love my stock, brighter, more focused, and safer HID's and they were worth much more than 900.
Agreed. HIDs may seem like an expensive upgrade during the purchase of the car - but NOTHING beats OEM. Laughable to think an aftermarket kit would ever approach the light spread of an OEM system.
Old 3/9/12, 10:22 AM
Cobra R Member

Yeah, expensive enough to make my cheap *** say, "ehhhhh you don't need em, stop being greedy". Now I'm kicking myself realizing how much of a great deal it was.
Old 3/9/12, 11:22 PM

Wow, you guys are so smart, you must be absolutely right. The $900 factory option must be better than my $175 aftermarket. Better by at least $725, I'm sure. 'Laughable', actually (JP). I'll do a side-by-side any time, day or night, and all you really smart guys should be able to tell the difference, right? Oh, wait, I've done that many times at car shows, both day and night, oh, and yeah, they're just as good. But I'm not as smart as you guys, and I 'don't do things right' (Lewis). That must be why my car is ogled over at every show I go to.
Old 3/10/12, 06:34 AM
Cobra Member

Side by side of a stang with proper projector base HIDs next to a stang whose owner decided to go the cheap route and put HID's in the halogen reflectors.

Pretty easy to see the glare from the halogen vs the sharp no glare cutoff from the projectors.

Installing HID lights, an arc style bulb, into a halogen, an filament style bulb, housing is doing it the incorrect way. There's no argument against that. If you want to do that, go for it, but I do things right or not at all. Just a personal philosophy that you choose not to live by. It's your vehicle, with which you can do as you please, but I am just educating others who come Into this thread about the physics behind the different bulb and housings types, and why every manufacturer either uses a projector, or a specially designed reflector when using HIDs.

If it were as simple as just switching out the bulbs and getting the same performance(which it's not), why would manufacturers be using projectors? There's a engineering reason behind it, based completely on the physics of the light beam and the light source type( arc vs filament).
Attached Thumbnails HID headlight upgrade-image-897001198.jpg  

Quick Reply: HID headlight upgrade