Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Help. Do these ABs look properly lined up?

Search this Thread

Old 9/12/13, 09:31 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I guess I would ask, if it were yours fix or leave it? A friend of mine told me trying to adjust it would be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't mind paying a muffler shop $40 to get it perfect but the problem is "perfect" is subjective. Perfect to Bob the Meineke guy might be atrocious to us.

Nobody will take the time to get it right on a car that isn't their own. Problem is I can barely pump my own gas lol. I am seriously thinking about buying some ramps and trying it myself. I just fear ill make it worse.
Old 9/12/13, 10:10 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wilson68944
So I guess I would ask, if it were yours fix or leave it? A friend of mine told me trying to adjust it would be more trouble than it's worth. I wouldn't mind paying a muffler shop $40 to get it perfect but the problem is "perfect" is subjective. Perfect to Bob the Meineke guy might be atrocious to us.

Nobody will take the time to get it right on a car that isn't their own. Problem is I can barely pump my own gas lol. I am seriously thinking about buying some ramps and trying it myself. I just fear ill make it worse.
All you do is loosen one bolt....
Have a friend under the car ready to tighten while you hold it where you want it. It's very simple. If you don't have friends, just loosen it, adjust it then tighten it. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.
Old 9/12/13, 12:24 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by youngstang90

Have a friend under the car ready to tighten while you hold it where you want it. It's very simple. If you don't have friends, just loosen it, adjust it then tighten it. You're making this way harder than it needs to be.
Yep, well said
Old 9/12/13, 04:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My '12 had Roush axlebacks on it when I bought it... and I managed to look at them for a few days before I couldn't stand it anymore and gave the Minuteman guy $10 to fix them.
Old 9/12/13, 04:39 PM
Bullitt Member

Ignore the road. The water company is laying new pipe throughout the township so they're all torn up waiting to be replaced.

They are off a little. I think the right passenger AB is perfect and the driver side AB is out too far and needs to be pulled up a smidge. I had them put on at a shop, my buddy's shop to be exact and he did it as a favor so there is no way I'm going back complaining to him; but I'd take it to a Midas or Meineke.

What do you think, leave it or bring it in to adjust it?
You don't really need a shop to fix it. Could be done right in your driveway. Is he a good friend of yours? Why don't you just ask if you could stop by and if he could show you how to adjust it yourself if your not comfortable doing it. At least then you could become more familiar with it. Like earlier posts its very easy. Loosen, wiggle it into place. Re tighten.
Old 9/12/13, 05:37 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by wannabe

My '12 had Roush axlebacks on it when I bought it... and I managed to look at them for a few days before I couldn't stand it anymore and gave the Minuteman guy $10 to fix them.
With my Roush ABs, I didn't even have to loosen the bolt. I just gave it a good tug and it centered out.
Old 9/13/13, 06:35 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by youngstang90

This
Old 9/13/13, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Ummmm. This.

Pretty easy to tell.

Wannabe and I can't be the only guys on here with good eyes??????
Could just be the angle of the picture. In one they look perfect, in the other they look lop-sided. Use measuring tape if you need to be OCD.
Old 9/13/13, 03:34 PM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by Sabin
Could just be the angle of the picture. In one they look perfect, in the other they look lop-sided. Use measuring tape if you need to be OCD.
Good point. I did on mine.
Old 9/14/13, 04:26 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Good point. I did on mine.
I think I will leave it for now. They are only off by a little. Ill put another pic up for you if I can.
Old 9/14/13, 04:32 AM
GT Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  27.0 KB
Old 9/14/13, 04:32 AM
GT Member

Views: 164
Size:  14.6 KB
Old 9/14/13, 04:36 AM
GT Member

Help. Do these ABs look properly lined up?-image.jpg
Old 9/14/13, 04:40 AM
GT Member

Views: 149
Size:  48.8 KB
Old 9/14/13, 04:48 AM
GT Member

Views: 139
Size:  18.8 KB
Old 9/14/13, 04:53 AM
GT Member

So that's the angle from the side to show the driver side is sticking out a tad further and the others are enlarged head on shots of the mufflers. Some of the shots are on a tilt which exacerbate the misalignment. I think that I agree with the majority of your that say it's so minor it's not even worth messing with it.

If I do I will take your advice and do it myself. I don't mean to "make it harder than it is" I've just never been under a car except 1 time and don't know the first thing about anything. It seemed intimidating at first but I'm sure you're all right in that it's one bolt and that's it.
Old 9/14/13, 05:10 AM
I Have No Life

So that's the angle from the side to show the driver side is sticking out a tad further and the others are enlarged head on shots of the mufflers. Some of the shots are on a tilt which exacerbate the misalignment. I think that I agree with the majority of your that say it's so minor it's not even worth messing with it.

If I do I will take your advice and do it myself. I don't mean to "make it harder than it is" I've just never been under a car except 1 time and don't know the first thing about anything. It seemed intimidating at first but I'm sure you're all right in that it's one bolt and that's it.
You can do it yourself... Will be easy. Even for someone not mechanically inclined.

But yes, from photos, it "it appears" that the drivers side is slightly lower and to the left.
Old 9/15/13, 10:33 AM
V6 Member

As far as the driver's side sticking out further, take some aviation snips and cut the tip back a little. Just kidding!!

Actually there are two adjustments available to get everything just right. For centering up the tip in the cutout in the rear facia you would adjust at the over axle clamp just in front of the muffler. Some additional fore to aft adjustment can be had by loosening the band clamp behind the H pipe (closer to front of car) sliding pipe a bit and re-tightening the clamp.

The left tip on my Borlas sticks out noticeably more than the right. No amount of adjustment has been able to fix it. I just don't worry about it anymore.
Old 9/15/13, 10:38 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stevegt2012
The left tip on my Borlas sticks out noticeably more than the right. No amount of adjustment has been able to fix it. I just don't worry about it anymore.
You're a bigger man than me. That'd drive me almost out of my mind. mostly because if an aftermarket part is supposed to fit, it oughta fit right.
Old 9/15/13, 01:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
The drivers side is always harder to align than the passenger. It's off by a hair, yes. The normal person won't notice... I'd give it a few days before you drop coin or as advised, fix it yourself. Remember nothing is perfect!

Last edited by Getportfolio; 9/15/13 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Help. Do these ABs look properly lined up?