Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Headers? Steeda said no.

Search this Thread

Old 12/5/12, 02:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ATTFighter
Kooks Long Tube Headers (1 3/4" x 3") - 2011+ Mustang GT (5.0L)

They are longtube, every site that sells them says so. That's copy and pasted directly. I got the 3/4 because I am going to stay N/A for a long long time if not ever and was told by kooks tech support themselves that I will lose low end torque with the 7/8 and for what i am doing with the car 3/4 are better.
They are not long tubes. Just because the vendors call them that doesn't mean they are. Kooks calls them mid length. They are the manufacturer of them. Look at this picture here. Clearly you can see they are mid length. They did this purposely to keep the front o2's as close to the stock location as possible unlike the other companies that make long tubes.
Attached Images  
Old 12/5/12, 02:38 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well thats odd, even on kooks own website they are called longtube headers. Not to mention when i called kooks today to ask about 3/4 or 7/8 i even used the word longtube and he didnt tell me they are not longtube. In matter of fact every person and on every forum who discusses longtube headers everyone says go with kooks long tube headers not midlength.

Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0
They are not long tubes. Just because the vendors call them that doesn't mean they are. Kooks calls them mid length. They are the manufacturer of them. Look at this picture here. Clearly you can see they are mid length. They did this purposely to keep the front o2's as close to the stock location as possible unlike the other companies that make long tubes.
Old 12/5/12, 02:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

well thats odd, even on kooks own website they are called longtube headers. Not to mention when i called kooks today to ask about 3/4 or 7/8 i even used the word longtube and he didnt tell me they are not longtube. In matter of fact every person and on every forum who discusses longtube headers everyone says go with kooks long tube headers not midlength.
Not everyone uses the term longtubes for Kooks. There are some like myself that have installed them and know better. Still that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with them. They are a great header.

Here are the headers you purchased. Nowhere do they use the term long tube.
http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=915
Old 12/5/12, 02:49 PM
GT Member

you are right about that link but i was looking here.... http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=919 on kooks site bottom says

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0L Catted H-Pipe. Unit is 3" x 2 3/4" with an OEM Style Outlet has Off-Road Front Pipes. System is made out of 304 Aircraft Quality Stainless Steel. This H-Pipe is designed to be used with either 1 3/4" x 3" or 1 7/8" x 3" Kooks Longutbe Headers.

well regardless, everyone told me they are the best headers for the 5.0 you say they are midlength will they still produce the same if not better power than longtube?

I was more concerned on the fact that steeda said they wont install them because they are illegal however they installed my illegal offroad h pipe. And i thought i read somewhere that the headers actually do pass emissions, i live in Florida so it does not matter anyways they do not test here.
Old 12/5/12, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

ordered the kooks long tube headers and offroad h pipe today. =) pretty excited and i got a sick deal on it! so my lethal off road h pipe is officially up for sale, however, the headers wont be getting installed for a few weeks and have to wait for them to get here.
Are you keeping the Borla S-Types? If so, this is the setup I'm considering for next year. Can't wait to hear it!
Old 12/5/12, 02:53 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here you can see the discussion and where the Kooks rep steps in and admits they are mid length.
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ders-came.html

Last edited by GrabberBlue5.0; 12/5/12 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12/5/12, 02:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

you are right about that link but i was looking here.... http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=919 on kooks site bottom says

2011 Ford Mustang 5.0L Catted H-Pipe. Unit is 3" x 2 3/4" with an OEM Style Outlet has Off-Road Front Pipes. System is made out of 304 Aircraft Quality Stainless Steel. This H-Pipe is designed to be used with either 1 3/4" x 3" or 1 7/8" x 3" Kooks Longutbe Headers.

well regardless, everyone told me they are the best headers for the 5.0 you say they are midlength will they still produce the same if not better power than longtube?

I was more concerned on the fact that steeda said they wont install them because they are illegal however they installed my illegal offroad h pipe. And i thought i read somewhere that the headers actually do pass emissions, i live in Florida so it does not matter anyways they do not test here.
If I were doing headers it would be the Kooks hands down. As far as Steeda goes the reason Kooks uses mid lengths is for EMISSIONS purposes. Again the front o2 is pretty close to the stock location and that also aids in the tuning.
Old 12/5/12, 03:20 PM
GT Member

So than why won't steeda install them...? Funny thing is they even sell them on there website

Last edited by ATTFighter; 12/5/12 at 03:49 PM.
Old 12/5/12, 03:21 PM
GT Member

Yes I am keeping the borlas I will post a video
Originally Posted by Mikey
Are you keeping the Borla S-Types? If so, this is the setup I'm considering for next year. Can't wait to hear it!
Old 12/6/12, 01:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Yes I am keeping the borlas I will post a video
Check these out, I've had them bookmarked for a while now... I think this guy is running an o/r h pipe, if so I think I'll get the catted h-pipe instead to try to cut down on the rasp just a little bit... otherwise, they sound incredible!

Old 12/6/12, 01:48 PM
GT Member

yea, that's sick that is what mine will sound like
Old 12/6/12, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

I am too interested to hear why they will not install the headers. Is that their Pompano Beach facility? I'm planning on getting LTs installed and a dyno tune all done at the same place, but if they won't install headers I might have to look elsewhere.

Keep us updated.
Old 12/7/12, 07:59 AM
GT Member

yes it is in pompano

Originally Posted by flySWA737
I am too interested to hear why they will not install the headers. Is that their Pompano Beach facility? I'm planning on getting LTs installed and a dyno tune all done at the same place, but if they won't install headers I might have to look elsewhere.

Keep us updated.