Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

gt500 axel back relative loudness

Search this Thread

Old 10/24/13, 08:57 AM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajcruz1
5.0 will be different from 3.7 when trying to figure if you will have drone or not when doing resonator delete. Our exhaust setup is different.
Right, thought we were talking about the 5.0
Old 10/25/13, 06:55 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had the GT500 ABs installed for a few thousand miles now, and I really like them (the sound improves a bit after 500 miles or so). Even coworkers who aren't "into cars" comment that my GT "sounds cool."

That said, my neighbor has the Roush ABs on his '11 GT, and- IMO- they sound just a tad throatier. Not different enough to justify the difference in price though (I got my FRPP tune and mufflers for less than he paid for his Roush mufflers). On the highway, you don't even hear them below 3,000rpms (which is perfect), but when I kick it down to 4th for a pass they produce a nice rumble!
Old 10/25/13, 07:17 PM
GT Member

Do the quad tip gt500 mufflers sound about the same as the single tip or is their a difference?
Old 10/25/13, 08:16 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Varilux
I've had the GT500 ABs installed for a few thousand miles now, and I really like them (the sound improves a bit after 500 miles or so). Even coworkers who aren't "into cars" comment that my GT "sounds cool."

That said, my neighbor has the Roush ABs on his '11 GT, and- IMO- they sound just a tad throatier. Not different enough to justify the difference in price though (I got my FRPP tune and mufflers for less than he paid for his Roush mufflers). On the highway, you don't even hear them below 3,000rpms (which is perfect), but when I kick it down to 4th for a pass they produce a nice rumble!
I've been contemplating the frpp tune & mufflers myself could you please share your opinions.

Last edited by Mikey P; 10/25/13 at 08:17 PM.
Old 10/27/13, 01:59 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've been contemplating the frpp tune & mufflers myself could you please share your opinions.

I've been very happy with the whole package- in fact, it would have been great if Ford had included this as part of the track package (would have been happy to pay the extra $$$ to have it installed at the factory).

PERFORMANCE: The mufflers sound sweet- especially at cold idle. I'm 45 years old- so I'm not looking to announce my presence to the entire neighborhood. However, I am driving a 420+hp sports car- and I'd like it to sound like one. The GT500 axle backs do exactly that- they just sound "factory mean."

Likewise with the Pro-cal tune... I'm not planning on going to the track (maybe once- "just to see" ), but I do expect the car to give me a healthy push back into my seat when I take off from a light or merge into traffic. This tune accomplishes exactly that... For whatever reason, the factory tune on the 5.0 6M has a "quirk" down low. The torque just seems to have a hesitation before it really kicks in. The tune solves this perfectly. Its a bit more punchy down low, and the accelerator hesitation is gone. Also, it doesn't try to stall out in reverse anymore. The ONLY negative I've noticed is when running the A/C in bumper to bumper. Sometimes when you depress the clutch its like the idle sensor fails and the rpms drop just low enough to stall the car (its only happened twice- but you can see the idle drop to 400rpm and then recover when the A/C is on). I'll take it to the dealer if it does it next Summer.

INSTALLATION: Installed the mufflers myself- which wasn't too bad (it makes it a LOT easier to install the new muffler if you bend the long hanger on the muffler up just a little bit). Also, I used some high temp spray paint to paint the back surface of the muffler body flat black (just looks better that way to me). Only complaint is the FRPP packaging isn't very robust- so one of the exhaust tips had a little ding (which I fixed myself to a point its not noticeable when installed).

I should have installed the Pro-cal myself as well. Unfortunately, I got caught up in the "keep my warranty" thoughts and took the car to my local dealer to have them install the tune. They charged me a little over $200 to do so (which is ridiculous- I've done it myself on other cars and it takes all of 15 minutes if you are taking your time and following the directions step by step). I've read a lot of posts on numerous sites regarding the Pro-cal tune, and I have yet to find a single issue where the tune (which is quite mild) has caused an engine failure.

Anyway, hope this helps- I would say it is DEFINITELY worth the money- especially if you install everything yourself (or have a dealer with an honest service department).
Old 10/27/13, 10:42 PM
V6 Member

Thank you for your response, very helpful.
Old 10/28/13, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the GT500 and switched to the Magnaflow Street, they are a little bit louder than the GT500 but a lot deeper in sound and les crackling when compressing....
Old 10/28/13, 08:32 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
I had the GT500 and switched to the Magnaflow Street, they are a little bit louder than the GT500 but a lot deeper in sound and les crackling when compressing....
Awesome I was wondering this myself. I have the Mag street cat-back and with everyone saying how much they liked the GT500s I wanted to know which one was louder.
Old 10/28/13, 08:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dineau
Axle back only or do you have other exhaust mods?