5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

FRPP Prototype Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 10/4/10, 11:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
I don't mean to point out the irony of this post, but, just in case you weren't kidding: You do realize "plastic" is a polymer, right?

Polymer isn't an actual substance. It's a phrase used to describe many, many types of molecules. Using the word "plastic" in place of "polymer" is a common mistake, but not altogether wrong. What is altogether wrong, though, is trying to make someone feel stupid when you yourself don't even know what you're talking about.

LOL STOOOPID IT'S NOT PLASTIC, IT'S POLYMER LOLOLOL
I wasn't going to say anything. I realize I'm not an expert on the subject but ****, even I know there are literally hundreds of different types of plastic out there, all of which are polymers.
Old 10/4/10, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To go even farther OT, "carbon fiber" is technically carbon fiber reinforced plastic. Epoxy is a polymer.
A properly designed polymer intake is nothing to turn your nose up at just because there were issues when the technology first hit mass production several years ago. Developments in materials science can happen quite quickly.... who knows we could have mass produced polymer engine blocks every bit as strong as aluminum, yet lighter and cheaper to mfg in 10 years.
Old 10/9/10, 08:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I don't mean to point out the irony of this post, but, just in case you weren't kidding: You do realize "plastic" is a polymer, right?

Polymer isn't an actual substance. It's a phrase used to describe many, many types of molecules. Using the word "plastic" in place of "polymer" is a common mistake, but not altogether wrong. What is altogether wrong, though, is trying to make someone feel stupid when you yourself don't even know what you're talking about.

umm, that intake is a thermoplastic. in particular its Nylon66. called tradename zytel.

it is constructed with presofteners and then friction welded.

A major class of polymers known as thermoplastics may be remelted, as opposed to thermosets, which form irreversible crosslinks between polymer chains. Within the thermoplastics category, there are amorphous and crystalline polymers. Amorphous polymers have random orientation of their polymer chains, whereas crystalline polymers form highly ordered crystal structures within an amorphous matrix. The term semi-crystalline polymers is used for polymers containing both crystalline and amorphous regions.

Because they maintain excellent strength and toughness during exposure to hot, aggressive automotive fluids and to hot air whether humid or dry, high performance polyamides (HPPA) can make durable, functional components for automotive thermal management and other demanding applications. review the basic chemistry of polyamides and how the HPPA family differs from standard nylon. It focuses on semi-aromatic HPPA polymers known as polyphthalamides

Last edited by assasinator; 10/9/10 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10/11/10, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

So, you came back to prove you can copy and paste from:

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_U...epaper_R8.html

Ironically, you have just proven (using big words you likely have no grasp of, considering your previous post) yourself wrong.
Old 10/11/10, 01:18 PM
Bullitt Member

So, you came back to prove you can copy and paste from:

http://www2.dupont.com/Plastics/en_U...epaper_R8.html

Ironically, you have just proven (using big words you likely have no grasp of, considering your previous post) yourself wrong.
came "back"? this was my first comment. you think you are the only one anywhere who might know something about polymers, copolymers, vinyl ester, polyesters, etc.

cutting and pasting a dupont paper is perfectly acceptable to prove a point.

i have two degrees. manufacturing engineering technology and computer science from Austin Peay state. quit looking like a jackass and restating the obvious to attempt to make youeself look knowledgable. its unbecoming of an adult.
Old 10/11/10, 01:19 PM
Bullitt Member

he called it plastic, and that is perfectly normal. i merely narrowed the category of "plastics" that the manifold is made of.
Old 10/11/10, 02:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the debate guys, I feel really up-to-date on my materials science theories now.

Can we get back on-topic?

Old 10/11/10, 04:53 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by assasinator
came "back"? this was my first comment. you think you are the only one anywhere who might know something about polymers, copolymers, vinyl ester, polyesters, etc.

cutting and pasting a dupont paper is perfectly acceptable to prove a point.

i have two degrees. manufacturing engineering technology and computer science from Austin Peay state. quit looking like a jackass and restating the obvious to attempt to make youeself look knowledgable. its unbecoming of an adult.

Hey now, no reason to lash out at me. It was an honest mistake, I mistook you for the "alloybullitt" guy, who was the one making fun of people when he had no idea what he was talking about.

My apologies for the confusion!
Old 10/19/10, 11:08 AM
Bullitt Member

my apologies too. i was too harsh.
Old 11/2/10, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dragonacc
This should do great things for the people out there that want to go high RPM NA with their build. Might be the route I go.
It definitely helps rev higher. Our car has ported heads, but still has stock cams and we rev it to 7,800 rpm's. It really needs cams to get the full potential out of the current mods.

At full weight with exception of the spare tire and jack and wheels/tires (3,680 lbs.) it went 10.92 @ 122 mph.

Livernois Motorsports 12:1 Pistons
Livernois Motorsports Stage 1 CNC Heads
FRPP Manifold
CAI
Stainless Works Headers, Catted Mid-Pipe, and Catback
4.10 Ring & Pinion
Circle D Stall Converter
Livernois Motorsports 1-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
Livernois Motorsports Dyno Tune
FRPP Springs & Adjustable Shocks/Struts
Drag Radials/Skinnies

Dyno sheet (stock vs. current mods) Keep in mind, it has an auto trans

Video of it racing a C6 Z06 (he red lit)

11 Stang vs. C6 Z06

-Rick
Old 11/2/10, 04:43 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

Very impressive, Rick! I think you already know what my early Christmas present to myself is going to be. I'm still debating on whether a CAI will be worth the money, especially since I'm plan on adding a Whipple supercharger in a year or two.
Old 11/3/10, 02:46 PM

The real question is does anyone have an idea of how soon we will be able to buy one????
Old 11/3/10, 03:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
nevermind

Last edited by 06GT; 11/3/10 at 03:47 PM.
Old 11/7/10, 06:43 PM
Cobra R Member

Ya sees, ya gotchyer polymer and ya gotchyer monomer. Try the long-chain, highly cross-linked - it's a big hit wit da college kids!!

Seriously, what's amazing to me is that plastics technology has yet to develop a substitute cartilage which I can use to replace what's left of the crap in my knees.

Last edited by Double-EDad; 11/7/10 at 06:44 PM.