Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

FRPP Prototype Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 9/21/10, 08:59 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FRPP Prototype Intake Manifold

Here is a pic of the prototype FRPP Intake manifold that Livernois Motorsports is running on their Mustang. The following picture was posted by Rick @ Livernois on another forum.

500+ HP N/A anyone?
Old 9/21/10, 09:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
But... but... where do you put the "5.0" decal on it?
Old 9/21/10, 09:37 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 9/21/10, 09:45 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thats just the boss 302 manifold with a larger oval throttle body opening. notice the exact same shape, it just doesn't have the boss 302 peice stuck on top.

Old 9/21/10, 09:47 PM
GTR Member

Looks like the boss intake modified for the dual blade throttle body, just doesn't have the finned aluminum plates on top.
Old 9/21/10, 10:00 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Knight
thats just the boss 302 manifold with a larger oval throttle body opening. notice the exact same shape, it just doesn't have the boss 302 peice stuck on top.
I know.. they took an awesome manifold and made it more awesome!
Old 9/22/10, 05:48 AM
V6 Member

This should do great things for the people out there that want to go high RPM NA with their build. Might be the route I go.
Old 9/23/10, 05:24 AM

Looks good but lots of plastic!
Old 9/24/10, 08:42 AM
Bullitt Member

Plastic is not a bad thing for an intake manifold, especially for daily drivers. Heat soak is a killer for metallic intakes!
Old 9/25/10, 04:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Not to mention, plastic is much easier to form, prototype and produce in quantity, as well as a lot cheaper. Plastic is generally smoother, with no casting flash or bumps on the inside to grind down. Plastic also isn't prone to corrosion like an aluminum or steel intake is. Finally, it is much lighter than metal - doubly good given its location high up.
Old 9/29/10, 06:50 PM
GT Member

So when do you think FRPP will release THAT CAI for the 2011 GT with their tune? Much better looking than just the K&N drop-in.
Old 9/29/10, 07:20 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Audioi
Looks good but lots of plastic!
Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
Plastic is not a bad thing for an intake manifold, especially for daily drivers. Heat soak is a killer for metallic intakes!
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
Not to mention, plastic is much easier to form, prototype and produce in quantity, as well as a lot cheaper. Plastic is generally smoother, with no casting flash or bumps on the inside to grind down. Plastic also isn't prone to corrosion like an aluminum or steel intake is. Finally, it is much lighter than metal - doubly good given its location high up.
I'm looking forward to that first production plastic engine block. It'll happen one day soon, already has been some experimental ones.
Old 9/29/10, 11:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
I'm looking forward to that first production plastic engine block. It'll happen one day soon, already has been some experimental ones.
I doubt it will happen soon. Plastic still has poor absolute strength compared to even aluminum. Plastic intakes will explode from a nitrous sneeze; metal intakes generally do not.

Another area involving combustion where plastics have taken over is guns; many are made almost entirely out of plastic - except the barrel. There is currently no plastic strong enough to sustain repeated firing events. And although pistons experience a much softer and more drawn out combustion event, it has to go through billions of them over its lifetime; guns only have to realistically deal with a few hundred thousand at most.
Old 9/29/10, 11:22 PM
GTR Member

I doubt it will happen soon. Plastic still has poor absolute strength compared to even aluminum. Plastic intakes will explode from a nitrous sneeze; metal intakes generally do not.

Another area involving combustion where plastics have taken over is guns; many are made almost entirely out of plastic - except the barrel. There is currently no plastic strong enough to sustain repeated firing events. And although pistons experience a much softer and more drawn out combustion event, it has to go through billions of them over its lifetime; guns only have to realistically deal with a few hundred thousand at most.
Not to say that a plastic engine block wouldn't have piston liners like an aluminum block and possibly thread inserts. It'll happen sooner than you might think.

And as far as the plastic intakes go, they make them as light as possible and don't design them to contain internal explosions so it's no surprise that they would fail from a nitrous pop back.

Last edited by Ltngdrvr; 9/29/10 at 11:24 PM.
Old 9/30/10, 02:06 AM
GT Member

That intake looks great, just needs some kind of finishing piece on top.
Old 9/30/10, 10:00 AM

Another area involving combustion where plastics have taken over is guns; many are made almost entirely out of plastic - except the barrel.
What?

I can only presume you're talking about, say, the Glock and other "polymer" pistols. With these guns it's only the frame that's made from plastic. The slide, barrel, firing pin and block ... are all metal. Even the frame itself is lined with metal where it meets the rails of the frame. The frame internals are all metal including the trigger group. Every single part that moves or sees friction in the gun is metal ... that's mostly every significant bit of the firearm.

It's like putting wood grips on a revolver and saying the gun is "almost entirely" made of wood.
Old 9/30/10, 10:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
lol.
Old 9/30/10, 11:37 AM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
didn't even notice the Ford CAI. Can't wait for that to debut!
Old 9/30/10, 08:45 PM

Lol, I can't stop laughing at you!!!! I mean, seriously!!! Plastic is what water bottles are made of, (minus Voss and other similar gay water brands in glass), polymer is what guns like Glocks and H&Ks are made of (to name a few). I would educate you further, but I believe my good buddy dascoyne has shed some light on your misinformation.

Originally Posted by dascoyne
What?

I can only presume you're talking about, say, the Glock and other "polymer" pistols. With these guns it's only the frame that's made from plastic. The slide, barrel, firing pin and block ... are all metal. Even the frame itself is lined with metal where it meets the rails of the frame. The frame internals are all metal including the trigger group. Every single part that moves or sees friction in the gun is metal ... that's mostly every significant bit of the firearm.

It's like putting wood grips on a revolver and saying the gun is "almost entirely" made of wood.
Way too long for a sig, just checked. :/, however, ----->

Last edited by alloybullitt7; 9/30/10 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10/4/10, 09:41 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by alloybullitt7
Lol, I can't stop laughing at you!!!! I mean, seriously!!! Plastic is what water bottles are made of, (minus Voss and other similar gay water brands in glass), polymer is what guns like Glocks and H&Ks are made of (to name a few). I would educate you further, but I believe my good buddy dascoyne has shed some light on your misinformation.

Way too long for a sig, just checked. :/, however, ----->

I don't mean to point out the irony of this post, but, just in case you weren't kidding: You do realize "plastic" is a polymer, right?

Polymer isn't an actual substance. It's a phrase used to describe many, many types of molecules. Using the word "plastic" in place of "polymer" is a common mistake, but not altogether wrong. What is altogether wrong, though, is trying to make someone feel stupid when you yourself don't even know what you're talking about.

LOL STOOOPID IT'S NOT PLASTIC, IT'S POLYMER LOLOLOL

Quick Reply: FRPP Prototype Intake Manifold