5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Finally got the GT500 axlebacks on

Search this Thread

Old 9/16/12, 08:41 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got the GT500 axlebacks on

Well, I've actually had them on for a while, but been driving them for weeks breaking them in. Friend of mine asked me to make a video of it in high def so he could hear what it sounds like before deciding on his own. So I went out to my lot and put my 5D Mark II on a tripod about 10 feet away and went at it.
Cold start and some low/mid RPM revs. I know you all have seen 100 of these before, but just sharing my joy! . Still on the fence about an O/R pipe or just cutting out the resonators. Anyways, enjoy. (Oh and I did the stripes around the same time)

http://youtu.be/ebkAJWjiUi8
Old 9/16/12, 03:26 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like how you are rich enough to own a 5Dmk2, but apparently not smart enough to realize that 1080p video doesn't do a **** thing for sound, which is the entire point of that exercise. If you want good sound, which would be the point when doing a muffler comparo, you need to hook up a good external mic to the camera, as everybody who cares about such things knows that the mic that comes with the 5Dmk2 is mono, cheap, and crappy, and the stock firmware doesn't even allow manual gain leveling.

Video looks great, though.

*cough http://tinyurl.com/9ngogrz cough*
Old 9/16/12, 04:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I like how you intentionally went out of your way to sound like an *** and accomplished not much else in the process. You could have said that and provided your infinite knowledge in a positive way but instead felt the need to bash. That's very sweet of you. I'm a professional wedding and glamour photographer. I work my *** off and pay my business taxes like everyone else. So I've earned my gear just like you earn whatever it is you do with your own income. Probably act your age which I hope is more than 18 since you own your own car, instead of acting like some pre teen on a web forum.

Thanks for the tip. The video isn't shot in 1080p anyway. It's still far higher quality than a cell phone, but then why does they even matter? Grow up.
Old 9/16/12, 04:32 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye18
I like how you are rich enough to own a 5Dmk2, but apparently not smart enough to realize that 1080p video doesn't do a **** thing for sound, which is the entire point of that exercise. If you want good sound, which would be the point when doing a muffler comparo, you need to hook up a good external mic to the camera, as everybody who cares about such things knows that the mic that comes with the 5Dmk2 is mono, cheap, and crappy, and the stock firmware doesn't even allow manual gain leveling.

Woke up on the wrong side of the bed I guess....
Old 9/16/12, 06:18 PM
Cobra R Member

Hawkeye's a good guy, he's been on TMS a long time, and I've read dozens if not hundreds of his posts. Maybe just a bad day or not enough time to edit his post? Cut him some slack...
Old 9/16/12, 07:03 PM
Banned

Hes right on the money with this post, just didnt word it in the nicest way possible. 5d ii's arent much nowadays anyway.
Old 9/16/12, 08:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Reminisce
I like how you intentionally went out of your way to sound like an *** and accomplished not much else in the process. You could have said that and provided your infinite knowledge in a positive way but instead felt the need to bash. That's very sweet of you. I'm a professional wedding and glamour photographer. I work my *** off and pay my business taxes like everyone else. So I've earned my gear just like you earn whatever it is you do with your own income. Probably act your age which I hope is more than 18 since you own your own car, instead of acting like some pre teen on a web forum.

Thanks for the tip. The video isn't shot in 1080p anyway. It's still far higher quality than a cell phone, but then why does they even matter? Grow up.
Ya sorry... just found out this morning my wife may have to take care of my grandmother for three weeks - she (grandma) got in a bad car wreck a few days ago and has a subdural hematoma that isn't subsiding very quickly, so I was pretty pissy. Probably wasn't the best time to be making posts.

And I might be jealous because all I have is a ****ty T2i and a few crappy lenses (28-135, 70-300, 50 1.8, and of course the kit lens) and I wish I could afford a 5Dmk2. And maybe a 70-200 f/2.8L II. Or maybe even just a 17-55. Or a 10-22.

As ****ish as I was, though (and reading back... boy was I ****ish), I do still have a valid point. Doing wedding photography, you would generally have just about zero need for an external mic, so that explains why you don't have one, but if you want to get into videography with your 5D (which is... or rather can be an extraordinarily good platform for video), you should invest in a shotgun mic, and start doing research on "Magic Lantern". It's a firmware mod that gives you a lot more control over video. Could be something fun to explore in your off time.

And to answer your other questions, I'm near-as-makes-no-difference 30, and I expend an extraordinary amount of time fixing the Navy's airplanes.
Old 9/16/12, 09:02 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well spoken, Hawkeye. Hope Grandma is improving steadily.
Old 9/16/12, 09:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Not gonna lie, this video was a little frustrating though. Rev that b*tch up!
Old 9/17/12, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

Ya sorry... just found out this morning my wife may have to take care of my grandmother for three weeks - she (grandma) got in a bad car wreck a few days ago and has a subdural hematoma that isn't subsiding very quickly, so I was pretty pissy. Probably wasn't the best time to be making posts.

And I might be jealous because all I have is a ****ty T2i and a few crappy lenses (28-135, 70-300, 50 1.8, and of course the kit lens) and I wish I could afford a 5Dmk2. And maybe a 70-200 f/2.8L II. Or maybe even just a 17-55. Or a 10-22.

As ****ish as I was, though (and reading back... boy was I ****ish), I do still have a valid point. Doing wedding photography, you would generally have just about zero need for an external mic, so that explains why you don't have one, but if you want to get into videography with your 5D (which is... or rather can be an extraordinarily good platform for video), you should invest in a shotgun mic, and start doing research on "Magic Lantern". It's a firmware mod that gives you a lot more control over video. Could be something fun to explore in your off time.

And to answer your other questions, I'm near-as-makes-no-difference 30, and I expend an extraordinary amount of time fixing the Navy's airplanes.
I'm sorry to hear that, went through something similar so I understand, but honestly thanks for the heads up.

In regards to the video, I actually thought of investing in at least one mic just for those few video shots I might take when someone's grandma is getting down on the floor to the Electric slide. I'll look into it, thanks again!

laserred38 - I know, I looked back at it and realized i was real tame on the revving. It was early in the morning and i didnt want to make too much noise, lol.
Old 9/17/12, 09:58 AM
Cobra R Member

Sorry to hear, man. I hope your foray into the Oreo Generation is short-lived & that your GMIL recovers soon!
Old 9/17/12, 09:35 PM
GT Member

I'm working on doing a gt500 axle back exhaust video. i used a gopro camera AND a Zoom H1 recorder... i already captured the video and audio. now i just need a good video editor that can sync the mp4 video with the zoom h1 audio.
Old 9/17/12, 09:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Cant wait to hear it after you get it edited.