5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Fays2 Watts Link, Koni Sports, Strano Sways, BBR LCA's installed

Search this Thread

Old 12/7/10, 04:09 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fays2 Watts Link, Koni Sports, Strano Sways, BBR LCA's installed

(I have posted this on a couple of forums, so if you've seen it already, my apologies.)

In getting prepared for next season's SOLO competitions, I decided I would overhaul the 5.0's suspension. Mods I had already done to it put me into ESP, so I thought I might as well go full bore with the suspension if I'm going to be running in such a competitive class (I didn't say I was going to be competitive, but I'm going to try). I've only put about 75 miles on the car since getting it all installed last night, but the ride is incredible. Now the fun part comes in tuning it all. I haven't changed the firmness on the shocks, and I'm running the front and rear sways in the middle hole right now. The Fays2 is set up almost dead center. I threw so much at the car in one day I figured I'd set it all to the middle and start tweaking individual components when time permits. I will say this, as the car sits right now, I'm very impressed with how it handles. I never thought this Mustang could corner like it does now. I'm still waiting on the Koni struts to arrive, and I've got Steeda HD strut mounts to go on it when they do arrive. The front end is definitely a little bouncy on the Steeda Sport Springs with the factory struts, but the back end is planted very nicely.

Full gallery of pics here --> http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnyng/...th/5236104609/

360 view of the garage --> http://occip.it/pyaf7up0j

Some of the better individual pics

DSC00399 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00400 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00402 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00404 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00414 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00383 by jsnyng, on Flickr

DSC00410 by jsnyng, on Flickr
Old 12/7/10, 04:35 PM
3rd Times A Charm

Looks good, are the LCA's the special order polished ones?
Old 12/7/10, 04:42 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Pure awesome.
Old 12/7/10, 04:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by S197 GT
Looks good, are the LCA's the special order polished ones?
No sir, they are just the standard billet LCA's. I can't imagine how bright the polished ones are. I may end up having to sell them because I found out after I put them on that they are illegal in ESP for autocross. At least they are super easy to take on/off, and I kept the OEM's. I may run them until the season starts in February and then take them off.

Originally Posted by Automagically
Pure awesome.
Thank you.
Old 12/7/10, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

Finally! A good pic of the way Sam's rear adjustable bar mounts. Definitely picking one up before NASA gets going next year.

At first I thought I saw a different body link mount for the AR bar, then realized your car is red, so everything under there is red. Mine's a beautiful beige/brown...
Old 12/7/10, 06:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by CO_VaporGT_09
Finally! A good pic of the way Sam's rear adjustable bar mounts. Definitely picking one up before NASA gets going next year.

At first I thought I saw a different body link mount for the AR bar, then realized your car is red, so everything under there is red. Mine's a beautiful beige/brown...
If you need pics from any other angles, just let me know.
Old 12/7/10, 08:17 PM
GT Member

How's the NVH with this setup?
Old 12/7/10, 08:24 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
How's the NVH with this setup?
I heard the front bar loud about 20 minutes into my first test drive. I went HARD into a right hand turn and could hear the bushing. Since then, in about 150 miles I've heard absolutely nothing except feedback from my tires that I'm taking corners a lot faster and harder.
Old 12/8/10, 06:02 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by jsnyng
I heard the front bar loud about 20 minutes into my first test drive. I went HARD into a right hand turn and could hear the bushing. Since then, in about 150 miles I've heard absolutely nothing except feedback from my tires that I'm taking corners a lot faster and harder.
Sounds as if things have settled nicely. I ask mostly because of the Fays2 Watts link. I was a little worried that NVH would be undesireable considering there are no bushings to reduce any noise transmission into the cabin. You are the second user to say that NVH has not increased.
Old 12/8/10, 10:36 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Liquid
Sounds as if things have settled nicely. I ask mostly because of the Fays2 Watts link. I was a little worried that NVH would be undesireable considering there are no bushings to reduce any noise transmission into the cabin. You are the second user to say that NVH has not increased.
Mine's been fine too...No Noticeable increase in NVH
Old 12/8/10, 10:56 AM
Mach 1 Member

Noise has never been any kind of complaint with the Fays2. I only try and be honest and say that a bit is POSSIBLE because it does in fact use 4 rod-ends... The two I had were also pretty much silent. I will have another for my '11 next year when I change classes for SCCA Solo.
Old 12/8/10, 06:51 PM
Cobra Member

I've got no NVH problems with my Fays2, more problems with the Steeda LCAs that don't seem to take grease so well.

Love that Fays2, should be OEM on all the Mustangs, or at least a factory option given its very low price for the noticeable change in performance. They should slap it on the Boss models, that'd be sweet.
Old 12/9/10, 09:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will the Fays2 clear a heavy duty diff cover? I've been eyeballing one of these for awhile and this looks like a good place to ask.
Old 12/9/10, 10:05 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Dread53
Will the Fays2 clear a heavy duty diff cover? I've been eyeballing one of these for awhile and this looks like a good place to ask.
Without searching, can anyone tell me if there is a specific 2010+ 5.0L Mustang ESP preparation thread? or ESP S-197 thread? The more I search, the more it seems that ESP specific mod's are scattered over individual car owner threads instead of a type of sticky thread for all potential ESP competiters. I think this thread (jsnyng) would be a good start for one. Same goes for FS, any out there? Maybe Sam can take everyone through his ESP build from start to end and into competition.

Dave
Old 12/9/10, 10:12 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

DSC00410 by jsnyng, on Flickr
No sir, they are just the standard billet LCA's. I can't imagine how bright the polished ones are. I may end up having to sell them because I found out after I put them on that they are illegal in ESP for autocross. At least they are super easy to take on/off, and I kept the OEM's. I may run them until the season starts in February and then take them off.
HTR Z Gonna hate!

Sorry, I had to.
Old 12/9/10, 10:58 AM
Mach 1 Member

No. It will clear a FRPP low-profile cover.
Old 12/9/10, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks Sam. Guess I need to find me a new cover...

Package deal???
Old 12/9/10, 11:01 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by iDrive
Without searching, can anyone tell me if there is a specific 2010+ 5.0L Mustang ESP preparation thread? or ESP S-197 thread? The more I search, the more it seems that ESP specific mod's are scattered over individual car owner threads instead of a type of sticky thread for all potential ESP competiters. I think this thread (jsnyng) would be a good start for one. Same goes for FS, any out there? Maybe Sam can take everyone through his ESP build from start to end and into competition.

Dave
I'm not much of a blogger... I am gathering parts to make the jump, but not started putting many on because it's freaking cold here. And I'm busy and have to make time to do it.

I'd recommend any potential autocrossers to just get in contact with me (AND GET A RULEBOOK!), I'm happy to discuss setup options for various classes. And I'll be honest, I find that when I do put things down on paper folks have been known to take the information I've worked hard to build and then go price shopping... That's ok to an extent, but when folks are nit-picking $5 here and there it's frustrating and I find that it's just smarter for me to protect my knowledge a bit by not putting every detail into cyberspace.
Old 12/10/10, 08:44 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by sam strano
I'm not much of a blogger... I am gathering parts to make the jump, but not started putting many on because it's freaking cold here. And I'm busy and have to make time to do it.

I'd recommend any potential autocrossers to just get in contact with me (AND GET A RULEBOOK!), I'm happy to discuss setup options for various classes. And I'll be honest, I find that when I do put things down on paper folks have been known to take the information I've worked hard to build and then go price shopping... That's ok to an extent, but when folks are nit-picking $5 here and there it's frustrating and I find that it's just smarter for me to protect my knowledge a bit by not putting every detail into cyberspace.
Sam,

You worry to much. I was suggesting a general ESP path, specifically bolt on parts. If you want to keep private your strut/shock damping specs, caster/camber settings, ride height, engine tuning, etc., that's entirely your call, but I think most just need a general mod list to start and then people can chime in on their personal opinions/experiences with prep. I would think, if anything, you could further promote your business and get back more out of it ($) than your giving up. Anyone attending the same events can basically see the parts you run and then post away. It's how you use the parts that give the advantage. Besides, what's the saying, 20% parts and prep, 80% Driver?

Not a critic here or a customer (yet), just trying to help newbies to the sport.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 12/10/10, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Automagically
HTR Z Gonna hate!

Sorry, I had to.
I don't get it. Care to explain?

Quick Reply: Fays2 Watts Link, Koni Sports, Strano Sways, BBR LCA's installed