5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Exhaust: what to keep ,what to replace?

Search this Thread

Old 2/20/15, 10:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Exhaust: what to keep ,what to replace?

I have a 2011 RTR mustang. Which came with resonator deletes, and these I believe: http://www.americanmuscle.com/ford-axleback-2011gt.html (judging by research and visuals). I know exhaust threads get beat to death but I am kinda stuck on what direction to go....

It sounds pretty good already, but of course I can't leave well enough alone. Would like a power boost as well as a bit more growl. Would it be worth it to just go with high-flow cats? would I see any benefit from a new H-pipe? Or Do I bite the bullet and go all the way with long-tubes, catted shorty H-pipe, ect.?
Old 2/20/15, 02:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
You will get more power with LT headers and high flow cats plus it will really wake up the exhaust. I just installed an OR h pipe with gt500 muffs and my exhaust more went up 8 decibels at idle and it's hell of a lot louder under wot.
Old 2/20/15, 05:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stainl...pe-1114gt.html
You will get mixed reviews on the x pipe over the h but it is worth a couple of hp more. Keep the after cat pipes and your mufflers. You can always swap out mufflers later if you want more or less noise
Old 2/20/15, 06:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
http://www.americanmuscle.com/stainl...pe-1114gt.html
You will get mixed reviews on the x pipe over the h but it is worth a couple of hp more. Keep the after cat pipes and your mufflers. You can always swap out mufflers later if you want more or less noise
Right, This is along the lines of what I was thinking. This is a big inner debate I am having. I love the deep throaty sound of the H-pipe, but the X's seem to have a bit more upper register and the few HP you were talking about. What I really need is to hear LTs with an x and then with an H side by side haha
Old 2/20/15, 06:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Blown CS
You will get more power with LT headers and high flow cats plus it will really wake up the exhaust. I just installed an OR h pipe with gt500 muffs and my exhaust more went up 8 decibels at idle and it's hell of a lot louder under wot.
Wow thats a heck of a jump! I think I would need to stick with catted for mine to pass inspection here in Texas though
Old 2/21/15, 05:18 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
Steve, my suggestion, go full catback with something other than what you have for your mufflers. I suggest my Corsa extremes paired with an x pipe. It's heavenly and demonic at the same time. You'll get even more aural bliss if you go with LT's. However I'm quite satisfied without them.
Old 2/24/15, 06:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
What I really need is to hear LTs with an x and then with an H side by side haha
YouTube is loaded with comparisons of pretty much every combination compared.

Quality of the audio unfortunately varies greatly.

is a decent video on YouTube with comparison.

The most important thing is to decide what you want for the car. More sound, specific sound, more power or something in the middle. Once you decide what you "need" you can research the parts for that.

Sometimes its different areas. You can tweak the exhaust for sound, and a tune for power. Then you don't have to sacrifice anything but time and money.
Old 2/24/15, 08:45 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by FromZto5
Steve, my suggestion, go full catback with something other than what you have for your mufflers. I suggest my Corsa extremes paired with an x pipe. It's heavenly and demonic at the same time. You'll get even more aural bliss if you go with LT's. However I'm quite satisfied without them.
Thanks, I may start with this. I've heard so much about the corsa's and haven't seen a video of them I don't like.
Old 2/24/15, 08:46 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by SgtRedline

Here is a decent video on YouTube with comparison.

The most important thing is to decide what you want for the car. More sound, specific sound, more power or something in the middle. Once you decide what you "need" you can research the parts for that.

Sometimes its different areas. You can tweak the exhaust for sound, and a tune for power. Then you don't have to sacrifice anything but time and money.

^ imo, nothing sounds as good as a 4.6L Ford Mustang. Yes, even better than our 5.0's. Don't know why that is.
Old 2/24/15, 08:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the feedback. I've been watching tons of video's and that seems to be the problem I run into. It's hard to gauge a lot of them because of poor recording or quality. I do want the added power, which is why I eventually want longtubes. As far as sound, every time I think I'm set I seem to find something new haha. Its my DD. I don't want cabin drone and need to stay legal in texas, so mufflers and cats need to stay. I guess I really need to decide on the X vs. H debate then pic a good cat/axleback to go with it.
Old 2/24/15, 08:53 AM
I Have No Life

Originally Posted by 05PRMTX
Thanks, I may start with this. I've heard so much about the corsa's and haven't seen a video of them I don't like.
Steve... allow me to help. I know I've posted these somewhere, but here you go. A few vids of my current Corsa with x pipe set up.

Old 2/24/15, 02:56 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ imo, nothing sounds as good as a 4.6L Ford Mustang. Yes, even better than our 5.0's. Don't know why that is.
My 4.6 with Longtube headers, catted prochamber and pypes mid muffler didn't sound as good as my 5.0 with just roush axle backs. I am amazed at how good just this axle back sounds. Reminds me of a nascar, especially when it's not completely warmed up lol just my opinion :-)
Old 2/24/15, 03:57 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

You car sounds assume. But that is not a stock motor and most of the people here there cars will not sound that good. Whats in the motor?
Old 2/24/15, 04:05 PM

Video killed the radio star, but TIVCT killed the big cam sound!
Old 2/24/15, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzman442
You car sounds assume. But that is not a stock motor and most of the people here there cars will not sound that good. Whats in the motor?
That's actually not my car, just a video I came across. The major sound difference is coming from a Cam tune I believe. Gives it a nod back to the big cam days.

I don't have any clips of mine on YouTube, but I went with M-14204-MGTTKA which includes a decent cam tune sound. Was worth it just to have my wife roll her eyes when it shakes the car at idle.

Last edited by SgtRedline; 2/24/15 at 04:11 PM.