5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

exhaust question(it's beaten to death, I know :P)

Search this Thread

Old 2/4/12, 08:42 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
exhaust question(it's beaten to death, I know :P)

so, I'm trying to decide on an exhuast. I've watched a bunch of youtube videos, and have narrowed it down to borla atak, bassani axleback, and GT500 axleback. I really love the tone of the bassani axleback the most out of them, but my biggest concern is with how loud it is. I dont want something that's gonna get the attention of every cop in a 2 mile radius when I floor it, or is going to bother the neighbors in my crowded apartment complex.

my previous ride I had a dakota R/T with a flowmaster super 44 dumped under the bed, it wasn't horrible out in the open, but in a parking garage just idling would set of alarms close by, and romping on it would set off every alarm in the garage. I dont want something that loud this time!

so which route would be best for me?
Old 2/4/12, 09:05 PM
GT Member

For you, it seems like the gt500's. They give it a nicer deeper tone, and dont make the car too much louder where you would disturb anyone.

Like me for example, I LOVE loud exhausts so I went with roush and am now in the process of taking the resonators out for a little more volume.
Old 2/4/12, 09:30 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
2011 Mustang GT with GT500 (SVT) axle-back exhaust, new GT500 Shelby mufflers for my 2011 Mustang GT Premium, axle-back, absolutely NO drone, they look and sound GREAT, Ford Racing O.E.M. part, $270 at LateModelRestoration.com, installed at Ford Dealer, my car sounds amazing now, love it! Hope this helps. Here's a link to my original thread, with sound video:
https://themustangsource.com/f816/ne...ang-gt-503901/
Old 2/4/12, 09:55 PM
GT Member

I also went with the GT500 mufflers and am very happy with the sound.
Old 2/5/12, 05:49 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The GT500's to me aren't loud enough. The Bassani axleback is a nice quality piece and sounds good. I had the Roush axlebacks with resonators removed and didn't think it was that loud. These cars do a pretty good job of keeping things civil in the interiors with their construction.
Old 2/5/12, 06:05 AM
GT Member

I ordered and received my GT500 exhausts and they are sitting in the box, no time to install. Waiting anxiously to do it, the price point is very nice ranging between $270 to $340 is what I have noticed depending on what website. I got mine for $290 shipped at stangmods.com
Old 2/5/12, 06:31 AM
MJN
GT Member

I say defently not the Borla ATAK. I just installed the "S" and was a bit shocked how much louder it is than the stock exhaust, mind you its still in the garage but I think defently will get attention when on the road and crack open the throttle. Don't get me wrong I do love the way it sounds but just from what you are saying might want to try the 500 exhaust first and go from there.
Old 2/5/12, 10:17 AM
GT Member

I've got the FRPP touring axle backs installed and feel they are a good compromise between an aftermarket sound and not wanting to wake the neighbor's every morning or alert every cop within a 2 mile radius whenever you open it up. Deffinetly louder then stock.

I had the roush axle back's for a few thousand km's. They were to loud for me(I'm getting old though), but sounded good. Plus the welds were very rusty when I took them off. The FRPP mufflers still look good after ~12000km. The reason I went with the Touring mufflers over the GT500 mufflers is that I didn't want to put a stock type exhaust back on.
Old 2/5/12, 10:23 AM

I love my borla atak with x pipe soon to be no cats
Old 2/5/12, 12:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by grabber blue gt
For you, it seems like the gt500's. They give it a nicer deeper tone, and dont make the car too much louder where you would disturb anyone.

Like me for example, I LOVE loud exhausts so I went with roush and am now in the process of taking the resonators out for a little more volume.
Dont remove resonators! I just put mine back on. Its louder but not a defined loud
Old 2/5/12, 12:27 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Roelito78

Dont remove resonators! I just put mine back on. Its louder but not a defined loud
I take it didn't work out so well with the Roush's?
Old 2/5/12, 02:45 PM
GT Member

I have the Bassani and they are not too loud, just a deep sexy low tone but they drone a little bit at 2K. I will add the X-pipe soon to smooth the sound and make it more "sophisticated"...
Old 2/5/12, 06:32 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
One more thing about my GT500 axle-backs...I was at the dealer to pick up my GT500 mud flaps last week, and my sales guy brought around 5 employees just to hear my exhaust...cool.
Old 2/5/12, 06:39 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by Cyberalized
I have the Bassani and they are not too loud, just a deep sexy low tone but they drone a little bit at 2K. I will add the X-pipe soon to smooth the sound and make it more "sophisticated"...
define "not too loud" for me if you wouldnt mind :P
Old 2/5/12, 08:02 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Hytek

I take it didn't work out so well with the Roush's?
Yeah Hytek, the Roush sounded undefined without resonators
Old 2/5/12, 09:35 PM
Cobra R Member

In what way?! It just got too out of control?? Just raw loudness and no tone?
Old 2/6/12, 09:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Sounded distorted on open throttle
Old 2/6/12, 02:33 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by whoah
define "not too loud" for me if you wouldnt mind :P
The sound output is very similar to the FRPP sports (M-5230-MGTLA) but with a bit more bass and a bit less rasp.
Old 2/6/12, 03:12 PM
jms
V6 Member

I have bassani axle backs. They sound ok till you do long tube headers and high flow x pipe. Now I HATE it! It is so high pitched and loud I actually get thumbs down on the road. But.... That with a steeda intake and custom dyno tune from big daddy performance in Lakewood nj. I got 446 rwhp and 415 tq. I ran low 12s on stock tires spinning bad I had no traction and 4.10 gears on top of it.. I hear slp loudmouth 2 which is quiet is good and the roush axle backs both sound good. A friend w a 6.0 gto had same issue as me with his standard loud mouths.. He Put the loud mouth 2s on and now it sounds great!
Old 2/6/12, 09:46 PM
GT Member

If you're looking to pay Borla and Bassani prices, you should also check out Corsa. I have the Corsa Extremes and X-Pipe and they sound great. Not over the top loud and absolutely no drone if that is something you are looking for too. I recently deleted the stock resonators and they're definitely louder and IMO sound better while still no drone. If you're looking for best bang for the buck, go for the GT-500 ones. Heard nothing but good things. Just my two cents...

Quick Reply: exhaust question(it's beaten to death, I know :P)