Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Evans waterless coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 2/8/15, 03:07 PM
V6 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evans waterless coolant?

By one running this stuff? Suppose to last forever, or at least longer than the engine. Doesn't contain water so no chance of corrosion. It also doesn't build up pressure so the cap can be taken off when hot. And some other benefits. Curious to know if anyone is running this.
Old 2/8/15, 04:18 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Not sure if it doesn't build up pressure but if it does what they claim, should be a great product. It doesn't boil till 375 but that's not saying that it won't expand and build pressure. I wouldn't test it by just pulling the cap at 200 degrees. Also it would probably take quite a few gallons and a power flush machine to install the stuff.
Old 2/9/15, 04:30 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It doesnt build pressure because its waterless (no steam),its the steam that builds pressure,you can open the rad. cap at any temp and nothing will explode in your face!
Old 2/10/15, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
It doesnt build pressure because its waterless (no steam),its the steam that builds pressure,you can open the rad. cap at any temp and nothing will explode in your face!
There's no steam in your radiator. Only water and coolant under pressure. When you relieve the pressure, the water flashes off into steam. The liquid in your radiator expands under high temps. Under pressure, water will reach higher temps than its flash point without making steam. Also water will boil at much lower temps under vacuum. Should have paid attention in science class.
With this being said, I'm wondering if this coolant will still expand and build pressure in the cooling system. I really wouldn't press my luck popping that cap at 220 degrees. I'm not even sure if your cooling system will function properly without pressure on it. That water pump doesn't actually pump a whole lot and just helps with circulation.
So guys: DONT OPEN YOUR CAP AT 200+ DEGREES!!!! Even with this miracle coolant.
Old 2/10/15, 05:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Bottom line is what are its heat transfer capabilities? It needs to absorb heat from the engine and release it to the airflow in the radiator at least as fast as the water/antifreeze mix we normally use.
Old 2/10/15, 08:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Why would you need this. I have never had a heat problem in any of my cars or trucks? I have read countless articles that the jury is still out on any of these type liquids? Do you have a need for it?
Old 2/11/15, 11:24 PM
Mach 1 Member

I,ll say it AGAIN! The pressure in the system is caused by steam pressure from water being heated,BUT if there is no water in the system then there;s no pressure being built up. Try and find the episode of wheeler dealers where Ed China works on a Triumph TR6 and flushes the system of water and used the waterless coolant,he explains it very well and demonstrates it also by bringing it up to temp and opening the rad. cap.
Old 2/11/15, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ponywars
I,ll say it AGAIN! The pressure in the system is caused by steam pressure from water being heated,BUT if there is no water in the system then there;s no pressure being built up. Try and find the episode of wheeler dealers where Ed China works on a Triumph TR6 and flushes the system of water and used the waterless coolant,he explains it very well and demonstrates it also by bringing it up to temp and opening the rad. cap.
Geez man. Don't believe all the bull you see on tv. You're wrong. It only turns to steam when the pressure is relieved. Turn your tv over to the science channel instead and educate yourself.
Seriously though, most liquids will expand to a certain degree when heated. Your cooling system holds up to about 15psi. The waterless coolant may not expand until much higher temperatures than 220 degrees but they don't clarify this. Bottom line is please open up your cap at 200+ degrees and let me know how that works out for you. :geez:
Old 2/12/15, 05:31 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 843 Posts
Correct...as stated, there is no steam in the pressurized system. Also, the antifreeze in the cooling system raises the boiling point AND lowers the freezing point.
Old 2/12/15, 06:10 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
I went looking for a list of ingredients and ran across this.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1302628/waterless-coolant
I like when people call their products water less when one of the main ingredients is water. I guess that's not the case here. But some interesting posts in that thread.
Old 2/12/15, 11:07 PM
Mach 1 Member

I dont have to turn to the science channel, i speak from experience,i used waterless coolant in my 73 bmw 2002 and had the same results,NO pressure in the coolant system and could open the rad cap after driving it all day with nothing coming out of the radiator. Afriend of mine who was from italy turned me on to it when i was like 23 years old,i,m 57 now. I only speak from experience,not from what a tv show tells me.You have to flush ALL the water out of you system before doing it!And its lifetime stuff,just put it in once and your done.I dont remember what brand it was,it was a long,long time ago.

Last edited by Ponywars; 2/12/15 at 11:08 PM.