5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Energy Suspension Shifter Stabilizer Bushing installed

Search this Thread

Old 8/24/14, 09:21 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Energy Suspension Shifter Stabilizer Bushing installed

I've always had a pretty clunky/grindy 1-2 shift on my '13 GT. I took it into the dealer twice, and both times they said it was normal operation and the transmission already had the newer fluid referenced in that one TSB. I could not consider this loud clunking normal, so I took it upon myself to get the Energy Suspension bushing: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...sp?prod=4.1134
It was less than $20 after shipping, and the reviews all looked good, so I figured I'd go for it. I installed it this weekend and it was pretty easy, took 20 minutes.
My review of this product is that it helped, but did not completely cure the problem. I'd say it lessened it by about 75%. So in all, I guess it was worth $20 and 20 minutes of my time, but looking back, I'd probably just buy an aftermarket bracket. Who knows, maybe I need an aftermarket shifter too, and just a bracket wouldn't fix it either. Just thought I'd let you guys know!

BTW, I have yet to miss 3rd after the new bushing, but I rarely ever missed it before anyway.
Old 8/24/14, 06:42 PM
Cobra Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Installed the same in mine 2 yrs ago. It has helped quite a bit with the shifting issues, a bargain for $20.00, but has not eliminated all problems, only issue I still have is hard to shift into 3rd above 6K.
Have pre-ordered Blowfish Racing's shifter mount & expect this will be the final solution needed.
Old 8/24/14, 07:30 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

hmmm I have never heard of the Blowfish Racing mount, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for the thread you create after installing it!!
Old 8/24/14, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No need to wait. Read about it here...

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index....0719#msg120719

Last edited by RaceRed-GT; 8/24/14 at 10:47 PM.
Old 8/25/14, 06:04 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Oh wow...seems like a very convoluted piece. Can't you put the shifter in a bind after installing that? The holes are slotted. And backing out the transmission bolts? I'm sure they were engineered to be a specific length and be threaded in a specific depth. I think I could live with some minor shifting issues rather than put this on. I don't drive the car that hard.
Old 8/25/14, 09:49 AM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
Oh wow...seems like a very convoluted piece. Can't you put the shifter in a bind after installing that? The holes are slotted. And backing out the transmission bolts? I'm sure they were engineered to be a specific length and be threaded in a specific depth. I think I could live with some minor shifting issues rather than put this on. I don't drive the car that hard.
I had a similar feeling about the design until I took a closer look.
The design actually eliminates binding by mounting everything to the transmission.
Yeah it is big and heavy but it also acts as a driveshaft loop.

You make a valid point about the three trans mount bolts however it should be no problem sourcing new ones that are 1/4" longer.

Based on feedback from bata testers I am going to give one a try.
Old 8/25/14, 11:08 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Yeah, those were my only concerns. Hopefully there are no problems with it after extensive testing.
Old 8/25/14, 12:25 PM
GT Member

I forgot to add... (This thread is about the Energy Suspension bushing).
I am using their black one and it is a major improvement over the floppy stock bushing.

I tried the Barton 2 post bracket first and wound up selling it. The Barton bracket is a fine piece and worked well for me under normal driving however when I really got on the throttle I could feel it bind and increase the shifting effort caused by the rotational forces of the engine / transmission.

The Energy Suspension bushing is a great $20 stop-gap solution. The Blowfish bracket looks to me like the final solution.
Old 8/25/14, 12:40 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
I forgot to add... (This thread is about the Energy Suspension bushing).
I am using their black one and it is a major improvement over the floppy stock bushing.

I tried the Barton 2 post bracket first and wound up selling it. The Barton bracket is a fine piece and worked well for me under normal driving however when I really got on the throttle I could feel it bind and increase the shifting effort caused by the rotational forces of the engine / transmission.

The Energy Suspension bushing is a great $20 stop-gap solution. The Blowfish bracket looks to me like the final solution.
Well that makes me feel even better about not getting an aftermarket bracket!
Old 8/25/14, 01:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had the bushing and it helped. I then switched to a MGW shifter. Night and day, awesome shifter.
Old 8/25/14, 02:06 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Does the MGW come with a bracket?
Old 8/25/14, 02:11 PM
Mach 1 Member

They have an upper and lower shift box and a rear support bracket.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
Old 8/25/14, 02:25 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by TommyV
They have an upper and lower shift box and a rear support bracket.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml
The MGW is what I planed on. I have not tried one but it is nearly impossible to find a single complaint. I picked up the Energy Suspension bushing on a whim while waiting for the MGW to be back in stock. Now I am going to try the stock shifter with the Blowfish Bracket and likely add the MGW later on.
Old 8/25/14, 08:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

I started with the Energy Suspension bushing. Tossed it for the MGW shifter after a little over 6 weeks. My journey: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...r-help-531435/

There's an attempting threadjacking by the Blowfish humpers but reality is, the MGW fixed all my ills and comes with a number of other benefits along the way. I couldn't be happier.
Old 8/25/14, 09:58 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by lakeguy77
I started with the Energy Suspension bushing. Tossed it for the MGW shifter after a little over 6 weeks. My journey: https://themustangsource.com/forums/...r-help-531435/

There's an attempting threadjacking by the Blowfish humpers but reality is, the MGW fixed all my ills and comes with a number of other benefits along the way. I couldn't be happier.
You are not referring to me as a "Blowfish humper" Correct?

I could not care less if Blowfish, Catfish, or any other fish came up with the simple solution to a simple problem.

The simple problem is that a portion of the shift assembly moves with the transmission and part of it is fixed to the chassis.

Will I buy an MGW in the future? My magic 8 ball says: "signs point to yes"
Will I buy a Blowfish bracket before an MGW? My magic 8 ball says: "it is certain"

Old 8/26/14, 05:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by BBM3
You are not referring to me as a "Blowfish humper" Correct?

I could not care less if Blowfish, Catfish, or any other fish came up with the simple solution to a simple problem.

The simple problem is that a portion of the shift assembly moves with the transmission and part of it is fixed to the chassis.

Will I buy an MGW in the future? My magic 8 ball says: "signs point to yes"
Will I buy a Blowfish bracket before an MGW? My magic 8 ball says: "it is certain"

A joke based on another shifter thread being hijacked. Easy does it. At the end of the day it all points to a not-so-great transmission Ford chose to put in the car. I've seen shifter setups in other cars that are installed much the same way as the Mustang...one end to the trans, the other end to the chassis...but this is the first time I've seen this many issues associated with it. We're all looking for bandaids to put on the tumor.
Old 8/26/14, 05:53 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

I know that thread! I actually remember reading it!
So the MGW isn't too loud? I have a buddy with one and I sat in his car and tried it out. It was so loud when shifting... "KAH-CHUNK, KAH-CHUNK". I love performance as much as the next car guy, but I can only imagine the look on a date's face when she hears all that while shifting. Like the car is some cheaply built POS. I really like how the Mustang is quite refined compared to years past, and I don't want to take away from that too much. I already have loud clunking in the drivetrain when shifting and pressing on and off the clutch. Last thing I need is more clunking coming from the shifter.
Old 8/26/14, 10:17 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

A joke based on another shifter thread being hijacked. Easy does it. At the end of the day it all points to a not-so-great transmission Ford chose to put in the car. I've seen shifter setups in other cars that are installed much the same way as the Mustang...one end to the trans, the other end to the chassis...but this is the first time I've seen this many issues associated with it. We're all looking for bandaids to put on the tumor.
There is nothing wrong with the trans, the issue is the bad shifter setup. As for the hijacking comment, if someone comes to you asking should I do A or B and there is a C option that might actually be better, do you tell them to choose one of the two options or suggest a third possibly better option?

Last edited by Brandon302; 8/26/14 at 11:20 AM.
Old 8/26/14, 11:02 AM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I can not wait to test drive a 2015 GT. Ford was suppose to fix the shifting issue. It had something to do with the Shift Rod. Which does make sense.
Old 8/26/14, 12:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I know that thread! I actually remember reading it!
So the MGW isn't too loud?
I wouldn't call it noise. You can feel the shifter going into a gear and sometimes there is sound associated with it. It's certainly not a "clunk" sound. I think your GF would like it.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension Shifter Stabilizer Bushing installed