Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Emissions States..

Search this Thread

Old 7/13/10, 01:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emissions States..

For those of you who live in states that do emissions testing, what are your intended power mods? I am assuming that long tube headers and off road x pipes are out of the question?
Old 7/13/10, 02:29 AM
Founding MOTM
Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So long as you retain your cats in Texas you should pass.
Old 7/13/10, 02:43 AM
Cobra R Member

I have an 05 with longtubes and an o/r x pipe. We are pretty strict here.
Old 7/13/10, 05:29 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by DynamicmustangGT
I have an 05 with longtubes and an o/r x pipe. We are pretty strict here.

Where do you live? I am moving to Colorado and not too sure how strict they are going to be.
Old 7/13/10, 09:33 AM
Bullitt Member

In Maryland, they have completely done away with the dyno rollers, and just plug up to your OBDII port to check for engine codes. If you have none, you pass. There is always the possibility of a visual inspection, but they are randomly selected - not every car is subject to it.
Old 7/13/10, 09:38 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by KonaBlue5.0
In Maryland, they have completely done away with the dyno rollers, and just plug up to your OBDII port to check for engine codes. If you have none, you pass.
Same here in WI... it is no codes = pass
Old 7/13/10, 02:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

In California, as long as the part has a CARB EO# on it, it's good to go. Most superchargers have that. Very few CAI's have it. For exhaust, you can't remove the factory cats. And long tube headers are illegal. Some shortie headers are legal though.
Old 7/13/10, 03:26 PM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
In California, as long as the part has a CARB EO# on it, it's good to go. Most superchargers have that. Very few CAI's have it. For exhaust, you can't remove the factory cats. And long tube headers are illegal. Some shortie headers are legal though.
But, but, my cats fell off officer. I couldn't find them. I definitely didn't intentionally remove them.
Old 7/13/10, 04:18 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
Ugh. I hate this state for modding cars. **** hippies.
Old 7/14/10, 06:52 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
Ugh. I hate this state for modding cars. **** hippies.
More like **** yuppies. Hippies are too baked to vote or attend town hall/city council meetings.
Old 7/15/10, 01:25 PM
Mach 1 Member

Georgia has emissions in the Atlanta metro area, which is fairly wide reaching, and gets draconian with older vehicles. Newer vehicles just do a gas cap test and OBD code test. Anything from 1995 and before gets the full run around including a full catalytic converter inspection and an ASM2 test and an exhaust emission check.

I'm pretty sure the sum of it is that you may have to keep the stock exhaust on cars in the covered area. Not sure though, never heard of anyone sneaking by, though the tests are nothing like California's.
Old 7/16/10, 01:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by OBleedingMe
More like **** yuppies. Hippies are too baked to vote or attend town hall/city council meetings.
Haha eh, either way...
Old 7/16/10, 08:31 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
To answer the question: None. I'm kinda a "stock is good" guy.

However, if I had nothing but money to throw at it: Everything legal and still pass.
Old 7/16/10, 08:54 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The best mods you can do is a tune with a CAI so you can return it back to stock when testing comes. Plus a cat back but thats for sound and not much power gain.
Old 7/16/10, 11:12 PM
GTR Member

Every state is an emissions state.

96 and newer cars are all OBDII so most areas that test on those cars is just a plug-in.

95 and older get the rollers and tailpipe sniffer.

Emissions testing in states other than CA. is dependent on population density for how much testing they have to do.

Here in Texas, Harris county(Houston) and the five counties surrounding get tested, Bexar county(San Antonio) gets tested, and Dallas and Tarant counties(Dallas/Ft.Worth) and the surrounding counties get tested, all other counties in Texas sqeak by with just a safety inspection.

I have never had any inspector look under my car to check the cats, had one squeak about a CAI but didn't hold me up. Basically on aything undercar it is "don't ask, don't tell" so long as it passes OBDII or the sniffer.
Old 7/16/10, 11:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Every state is an emissions state.

96 and newer cars are all OBDII so most areas that test on those cars is just a plug-in.

95 and older get the rollers and tailpipe sniffer.

Emissions testing in states other than CA. is dependent on population density for how much testing they have to do.

Here in Texas, Harris county(Houston) and the five counties surrounding get tested, Bexar county(San Antonio) gets tested, and Dallas and Tarant counties(Dallas/Ft.Worth) and the surrounding counties get tested, all other counties in Texas sqeak by with just a safety inspection.

I have never had any inspector look under my car to check the cats, had one squeak about a CAI but didn't hold me up. Basically on aything undercar it is "don't ask, don't tell" so long as it passes OBDII or the sniffer.

First: There are several states with absolutely no emissions testing. Florida, for example.

Second: By most state guidelines, inspectors are required to check for a cat. Does that mean they actually do? No, not usually, unless you give them a reason to.

My old RX8 was quite loud, but had a resonated mid-pipe. I got screened for no cat, but luckily the resonator happened to look just like one, had a bung for an O2 sensor as well. With a tune defeating the rear O2 sensor, it was a win-win situation.
Old 7/16/10, 11:53 PM
GTR Member

Whether the state does emission testing or not, all 50 U.S. states are emission states per federal law.

As far as being required to check for cats, I'm sure all states are but at least in Texas they don't unless the car fails either the sniffer on older OBDI cars or has a cat related code come up on OBDII plug-in test.

And in Texas, once the car is more than 24 model years old it doesn't have to pass any emissions test.
Old 7/17/10, 12:12 AM
Post *****

Received 159 Likes on 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
Whether the state does emission testing or not, all 50 U.S. states are emission states per federal law.

As far as being required to check for cats, I'm sure all states are but at least in Texas they don't unless the car fails either the sniffer on older OBDI cars or has a cat related code come up on OBDII plug-in test.

And in Texas, once the car is more than 24 model years old it doesn't have to pass any emissions test.

Only 20 more years to go.
Old 7/19/10, 02:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Lancel
Georgia has emissions in the Atlanta metro area, which is fairly wide reaching, and gets draconian with older vehicles. Newer vehicles just do a gas cap test and OBD code test. Anything from 1995 and before gets the full run around including a full catalytic converter inspection and an ASM2 test and an exhaust emission check.
I'm glad my 1981 Corvette is exempt from that madness. The car is stock so it would probably pass, but who knows...
Old 7/19/10, 04:05 PM
GT Member

So if you do get checked using the port what exactly can you get away with? Can you go xpipe with exhaust,headers, and CAI as long as you run a tune to delete the CEL? Sorry for the dumb question, but this is the first time I have lived in a state that does emissions testing.

Quick Reply: Emissions States..