Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Difference between Vortech and Paxton?

Search this Thread

Old 6/17/14, 05:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Difference between Vortech and Paxton?

What's the difference between Vortech and Paxton superchargers?
Old 6/17/14, 06:00 AM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Not much. You can usually get a little more power out of Paxton but they usually don't hold up as well as Vortec. I would recommend Vortec for a car that you drive a lot and Paxton for a race application. Both are great just stay away from Porcharger.
Old 6/17/14, 05:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Dfink114
What's the difference between Vortech and Paxton superchargers?
If you are in a cold climate, you might want to do some research since vortechs don't like the cold.
Old 6/26/14, 09:43 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown CS
If you are in a cold climate, you might want to do some research since vortechs don't like the cold.

Define cold, as I ran a Vortech V2 S-trim on my '07 GT for 3 years as a daily driver before selling that car. I'm in the Seattle area and we get sub-freezing weather for a couple months out of the year and I rarely garaged that car and had no issues.

Granted, the owners manual does warn against extreme cold, but I'm sure they're just being ultra conservative. Roots & Twin Screws aren't as much an issue in the cold as they sit in the valley between the heads getting plenty of heat from the engine below.
Old 6/27/14, 10:00 AM
GT Member

The Paxton 2200 has more room to grow, but the Vortech is more efficient if you want to stay under 800rwhp. We went with the Vortech V3 and are at 636 rwhp right now. We will probably only add a torque booster from this point on. The car is a blast to drive. If you plan on going really big, get the Paxton, if you want the best fit for under 800rwhp, get the Vortech. It drives exactly like stock when just cruising around, but when you go WOT, it is unreal. The feeling is like no other when boost is kicking in and planting you in your seat.

As far as cold.....You use common sense and will have ZERO problems. At start up, you let the motor warm up a minute or so before you take off and go WOT. (If it has been sitting freezing for days without starting) It is recommended for lubrication in the head unit, not a drivability problem.

Last edited by Deerslayer; 6/27/14 at 10:12 AM.
Old 7/1/14, 11:39 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Breck, at what RPM does the V start kicking in?
Old 7/1/14, 08:00 PM
GT Member

Breck, at what RPM does the V start kicking in?
In between 3500 & 4000. Once it kicks in, it just keeps coming on harder. Definitely an addicting feeling.
Old 7/1/14, 09:16 PM
A Man Just Needs Some....

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Deerslayer
In between 3500 & 4000. Once it kicks in, it just keeps coming on harder. Definitely an addicting feeling.
Which is also great since you don't need that much extra hp/tq on initial take off. Helps keep the spin down a bit. Would have been nice to have a little less just at launch with the cobra.
Old 7/2/14, 08:28 AM
GT Member

Which is also great since you don't need that much extra hp/tq on initial take off. Helps keep the spin down a bit. Would have been nice to have a little less just at launch with the cobra.
Exactly. If you get your rpms up too much during a launch, you can burn your tires off. I am sure if you went with bigs/littles it would launch like a beast, but on the street, if you just warm them up a bit and launch at 2500, hang on. It bites and will pull right at a G on the accelerometer.
Old 8/21/14, 04:14 PM
GT Member

Need help, so was looking to get a turbo for the 5.0, but seems like that's going to be expensive. Well way more then a supercharger, so now looking at those. Someone told me vortech now owns Paxton or the other way around and they are same thing? And what about a Pro Charger? Any input will help a whole lot, Please
Old 8/22/14, 07:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
In my opinion, based upon personal experience, if you want a fun, durable, easily installed and tuned, daily power adder, go with a centri blower. You'll not regret it.

If you want a garage queen that wows at car shows or is a dedicated strip car, go turbo.

The main difference between Pax and Vortech is the head unit A/R and the step up ratio. The Vortech is slightly smaller internally and has a steeper step up so, it's more sensible on the road. Pax, if you tend to strip the car more than street or are looking at making massive power down the line. Both will make enough power to destroy the stock bottom end of the engine.

Vortech has owned Paxton for many years now.

My first centri was an original ball-drive Paxton SN in my 88 SD 5.0. That was absolutely hilarious in that little car but, woefully crude compared to what's out there today.
Old 8/22/14, 07:11 AM
GT Member

Dino5.0,
Vortech owns Paxton as Vortech has been around for a loooooong time. We run a Vortech V3 which is basically a belt driven turbo charger. We make excellent power 636.49 rwhp BEFORE we pulleyed down and added a wastegate. We probably are pushing 650rwhp @ 10psi and 540tq. The car drives absolutely like a stock car just daily driving as this car is a daily driver, but once you get into the throttle, you better have upgraded your suspension and tires as it goes into beast-mode. You can get everything in our setup for around 6k tuned and driving. You can spend less and get fewer goodies if you are not looking to the HP we are pushing. Like stated above, look at the Vortech if you plan on staying below 700rwhp and if you are looking above, go with the Paxton.
I have no personal experience with Procharger, but have seen many that run the procharger and they make great power. I considered Procharger, but I had two issues, the intake location and the look that they look completely like an add on part. The way we blacked out our setup, it looks somewhat like you would thing a centri driven car would look if it were OEM. We bought most everything through Terry @ TeamBeefcakeRacing and could not be happier with the price and unbelievable customer support. He is the most honest guy I have ever dealt with as a "salesman" He could have "oversold" me SO easy. I was ready to buy a LOT of things that I found out from Terry that were not necessary for my goals. It cost HIM quite a bit of $ as I would have paid and not thought twice. In retrospect, I realize it was him being honest and not "overselling me" I would HIGHLY suggest the "Beefcake Special" Vortech or Paxton. It comes with the supercharger kit, new fuel injectors, Boost A Pump for your fuel pump and tuning with Lund Racing. My son and I easily did the entire install in our driveway on a weekend. Tuning with Lund is awesome and the whole experience was a good one from purchase/install/tuning to having a blast.

Name:  B5_zpsb78d7b4c.jpg
Views: 4799
Size:  133.4 KB

Name:  B3_zpsfe9968ba.jpg
Views: 4952
Size:  142.4 KB

Last edited by Deerslayer; 8/22/14 at 07:26 AM.