5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Decision Time: CAI and Tune for specific needs

Search this Thread

Old 2/2/15, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I happen to live near the Dallas Brenspeed garage.

How much of a difference would there be between taking the car to their physical location and having them tune it vs. purchasing something like a Steeda tune?

As for the CAI, it may not outperform the stock box, but it looks cool under the hood, I like the whoosh sound, and it seems to also make the exhaust sound a bit throatier (which should be especially noticeable through the Boss quad exhaust).
Old 2/2/15, 10:35 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Varilux
I happen to live near the Dallas Brenspeed garage. How much of a difference would there be between taking the car to their physical location and having them tune it vs. purchasing something like a Steeda tune? As for the CAI, it may not outperform the stock box, but it looks cool under the hood, I like the whoosh sound, and it seems to also make the exhaust sound a bit throatier (which should be especially noticeable through the Boss quad exhaust).
The Dyno is a controlled environment. You don't want to be data logging on the street if you don't have to. You would be redlining 3rd gear - idk about you, but I don't have anywhere near here that I can do that legally.
Old 2/2/15, 10:45 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
I happen to live near the Dallas Brenspeed garage. How much of a difference would there be between taking the car to their physical location and having them tune it vs. purchasing something like a Steeda tune? As for the CAI, it may not outperform the stock box, but it looks cool under the hood, I like the whoosh sound, and it seems to also make the exhaust sound a bit throatier (which should be especially noticeable through the Boss quad exhaust).
That's a no brainer then just run Brenspeed's custom non dyno tune if you don't want to run on the dyno.
Old 2/2/15, 11:09 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by laserred38
The Dyno is a controlled environment. You don't want to be data logging on the street if you don't have to. You would be redlining 3rd gear - idk about you, but I don't have anywhere near here that I can do that legally.
oh but i do
Not that I have or anything
Old 2/2/15, 11:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a no brainer then just run Brenspeed's custom non dyno tune if you don't want to run on the dyno.

I have nothing against having them put the car on the dyno- I'm just wondering how much of a difference there is between having a "canned" tune vs. one specific to my car (is it a small difference, huge difference- somewhere in between?).

I'm imagining its far more expensive to pay them to put the car on a dyno and custom tune vs. something like a Steeda tune, so just trying to get a feel for the cost vs. benefit of each. I want to visit them in person anyway since I'm also thinking about going with one of their supercharger packages.

Last edited by Varilux; 2/2/15 at 11:11 AM.
Old 2/2/15, 11:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
Run their canned tune in the mean time.
Old 2/2/15, 04:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been running Steeda's 93 tune & cai since 1,000 miles without a hiccup. I now have 28,000 miles and the car couldn't be stronger.
Old 2/28/15, 12:21 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

so i have been running a 91 performance tune and then a 93 performance tune. with 94 octane the 93 performance tune is insane. (for me that is)
I scared myself a couple times actually. The 93 tune is very agressive and let's me play with all 6 gears and even seems to up the torque in 6 enough to easily pass on the highway going uphill at about 3-4k rpm. watching my economy guage there's no drop in mileage. in fact with the 91 tune i improved mileage.
I'm again enjoying a 'new' car feeling, and can not imagine adding boost. for right now this is MORE than enough. I do plan to buy some custom tunes next bonus time. a cai and h pipe as well.

wow is all i can say. Loving the latest upgrade.
Old 2/28/15, 06:43 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
so i have been running a 91 performance tune and then a 93 performance tune. with 94 octane the 93 performance tune is insane. (for me that is) I scared myself a couple times actually. The 93 tune is very agressive and let's me play with all 6 gears and even seems to up the torque in 6 enough to easily pass on the highway going uphill at about 3-4k rpm. watching my economy guage there's no drop in mileage. in fact with the 91 tune i improved mileage. I'm again enjoying a 'new' car feeling, and can not imagine adding boost. for right now this is MORE than enough. I do plan to buy some custom tunes next bonus time. a cai and h pipe as well. wow is all i can say. Loving the latest upgrade.
I agree. I remember how much of a difference a cai and tune was on my 05, then I added the blower and that was almost too much. I can't imagine using the power from a supercharger on the 5.0! These engines are beast stock, a cai tune will be plenty for me I think.
Old 2/28/15, 06:47 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
I agree. I remember how much of a difference a cai and tune was on my 05, then I added the blower and that was almost too much. I can't imagine using the power from a supercharger on the 5.0! These engines are beast stock, a cai tune will be plenty for me I think.
i'm almost thinking a blower would actually de-value mine. But that's how I feel today. who knows next year lol
Old 2/28/15, 06:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 787 Likes on 574 Posts
canned tunes are not the devil. Many cars out there running them with out problems
Old 2/28/15, 07:00 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Originally Posted by DarrenGT
i'm almost thinking a blower would actually de-value mine. But that's how I feel today. who knows next year lol
Yup, I'm definitely going to get a cai and tune. As of now a blower is out if the question but who knows what the future holds :-)
Old 3/1/15, 04:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

I happen to live near the Dallas Brenspeed garage.

How much of a difference would there be between taking the car to their physical location and having them tune it vs. purchasing something like a Steeda tune?

As for the CAI, it may not outperform the stock box, but it looks cool under the hood, I like the whoosh sound, and it seems to also make the exhaust sound a bit throatier (which should be especially noticeable through the Boss quad exhaust).
This is spot on. In a naturally aspirated setup a cai is a waste of money in these cars. You'll see a huge power gain from the tune but none from a cai. Get a Lund tune and call it a day.
Old 3/1/15, 04:31 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SONICBOOST
Just added a roush phase 1 SC. It's interesting. 😄

I don't disagree. Traction is a huge issue. LOL
Old 3/1/15, 10:46 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014GHIGGT
This is spot on. Get a Lund tune and call it a day.
This. If I were to tune my car it would be from a tuner like Lund or AED. My friend just got a Lund tune for his 11' Procharged 5.0 and wow. Night and day difference from his last tune from BBR. I'm a road race guy so the extra power and heat soak from boost isn't in the cards. All NA all day for me.
Old 3/10/15, 08:48 AM
Cobra Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Darren maybe you can benefit from my experience. In 2005 I bought a MAC Cold Air Induction Kit from MocPac Industries in Edmonton. Once installed the check engine light kept coming on. Went back to Mopac, they called the dealer only to find out a tune was required from Brenspeed. When I call Brenspeed they needed to know everything I had done to the vehicle to adjust their tunes and programs accordingly. At that time the only things I had done were the MAC CAI and a set of dual Magnaflow Exhausts. I still have my '05 and have recently bought a 2007 GT.

My plan this year is to get a CAI for the '07 GT but to acquire one that does not need a tune. One of the advantegeous of getting a tune is that is smoothes out the shift points and it also improves fuel mileage by properly regulating the air/fuel mixture. I went from 28mpg on the V6 to 34 mpg.

I recently had both Mustangs at the Ford Dealershhip for the airbag recall and wouldn't you know it the Ford Service guys reset the tune on the '05 back to its OEM settings. So when I got home all I had to do was plug in the Brenspeed tune and reset to the custom 87 tune.

http://www.brenspeed.com/m-9000-m463v.html

These days if I need parts from the USA I have them shipped to Oroville, Washington then go down and pick them up. I am sure there are drop off shipping outlets in Blaine too. Gee at Blaine you can even take in a movie (tongue in cheek).

Last edited by poldrv; 3/10/15 at 08:56 AM.
Old 3/10/15, 09:45 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Thanks for the info Ray. I have been running a couple of canned tunes for a month or so now, without a CAI. Loving it. No issues. Improved mileage and HUGE performance gains, especially with the 93. As for purchasing stuff in usa and shipping to the border, i have been doing that for a couple years now. I'm about 15 minutes from Sumas. I fill up my truck and pick up parcels at the same time. Unfortunately, not much is worth it right now with our weak dollar. Not even gas.
I bought my SCT tuner here in Canada with free shipping. After the dollar conversion and import taxes, it wasn't worth it to buy in the US.
Old 4/1/15, 09:23 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

If I get a cai and tune and had to go in for warranty work, could the dealership see I had a cai and tune if I put it back to stock? I want to get a cai and tune real bad but don't want to void my warranty. I want the steeda and x4, not really feeln the procal.
Old 4/1/15, 09:36 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

I believe they can tell IF it's been re-programmed but that's about it. Probably can't tell what was reprogrammed after put back to stock. But i'm guessing.
Old 4/1/15, 12:51 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
You always switch back to stock before taking it in.

The computer can log being flashed.

Our tunes are very safe, reliable & powerful ... we have had tremendous success with our tunes including 0 warranty denials.

Best Regards,

TJ

Quick Reply: Decision Time: CAI and Tune for specific needs