Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Couple Questions

Search this Thread

Old 4/7/12, 10:55 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Couple Questions

so i've had my 2011 gt premium for a couple weeks now and im still in love with the car... but more performance is starting to show its head in the back of mine. Couple questions though. A buddy of mine has an 01' cobra so we talk.

-On another site i saw a big debate on whether a CAI actually did anything. Is there truth to this?

-Which is better tune, one of the mail order ones that people do on there own... or a custom tune by someone that has a dyno and all....
Old 4/7/12, 10:58 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CAI is worthless by itself, with a tune it is worth some. Mail order tune would be just fine for a mildly modded car, don't waste your money on the dyno tune
Old 4/7/12, 11:09 AM
Cobra R Member

Well, by itself the cai won't do much, because the computer isn't tuned for it. A dyno tune will be better, because you can see how the timing effects the HP, and you can look more in depth. A mail order tune is your next bet, I'd suggest a "ghost cam" tune, just cause it sounds bad a**!! Do not mess with the tune yourself unless you know what your doing!!!!
Old 4/7/12, 11:21 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cpotts13
Well, by itself the cai won't do much, because the computer isn't tuned for it. A dyno tune will be better, because you can see how the timing effects the HP, and you can look more in depth. A mail order tune is your next bet, I'd suggest a "ghost cam" tune, just cause it sounds bad a**!! Do not mess with the tune yourself unless you know what your doing!!!!

man quick responses... i love it.

Ya there is no way i'd mess with the actual tune myself.

as far as upgrades go im thinking gt500 mufflers, H pipe... CAI but haven't decided on brand yet. than at some point n time, rims with some springs....
Old 4/7/12, 11:43 AM
Cobra R Member

With cai, choose the one that looks best. Between the brands there is little to no performance difference. The gt500 mufflers will sound awesome, alot of people like them with a o/r x pipe. If you want a "ghost cam" tune, get it through steeda, for regular I'd suggest American muscle. They have free tunes for life!
Old 4/7/12, 01:20 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by cpotts13
With cai, choose the one that looks best. Between the brands there is little to no performance difference. The gt500 mufflers will sound awesome, alot of people like them with a o/r x pipe. If you want a "ghost cam" tune, get it through steeda, for regular I'd suggest American muscle. They have free tunes for life!
What exactly is the ghost can tune? I'm guessing it makes your car sound like it has a bigger cam in it?
Old 4/7/12, 02:35 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
If you don't have a tune, then don't bother getting a CAI.

Mail order tunes are just fine for minor mods. A dyno tune would be better, but a waste of money for something small.

The ghost cam tune makes your car sound like it has some lopey cams in it. I think it sounds like ****, but a lot of people seem to like it.
Old 4/7/12, 02:41 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by stupidgenius36
If you don't have a tune, then don't bother getting a CAI.

Mail order tunes are just fine for minor mods. A dyno tune would be better, but a waste of money for something small.

The ghost cam tune makes your car sound like it has some lopey cams in it. I think it sounds like ****, but a lot of people seem to like it.
I like it, it has no performance gain, aside from what you get from the regular tune. You can are it on YouTube.
Old 4/9/12, 07:23 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts
You will see some great gains from the Steeda CAI/Tune, add an exhaust and those gains become even greater. You will also have one hell of a sounding Mustang too. The Cam Idle Tune from Steeda does make your car sound like old school muscle car with large cams.

Let me know if I can provide you with some forum pricing on the CAI/Tune with an exhaust. You definitely won't be disappointed.

PM if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

TJ

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...ang-5.0-L.html

Old 4/10/12, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TJ, I've done my exhaust, 3" X pipe with 3" tubing back past the resonators into the stock 2.75" with GT500 mufflers (sounds great! btw) How much hp can I gain with a CAI and a streetable 91 octane tune?
Old 4/10/12, 02:53 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Trumpetlon
TJ, I've done my exhaust, 3" X pipe with 3" tubing back past the resonators into the stock 2.75" with GT500 mufflers (sounds great! btw) How much hp can I gain with a CAI and a streetable 91 octane tune?
You'll love the CAI and Tune. I couldn't believe what a difference those made.

I have the Steeda 93 Octane "Cammed" Tune, CAI, BBK Long Tubes, 3" Off Road X-Pipe, and Flowmaster hushpower mufflers: I went from 356 stock RWHP to 418 RWHP - SAE corrected. That was on a hot humid august day. In the cooler fall weather I hit over 420 rwhp. Not sure if the Torco helped when I recorded the audio below but it sounds bad ***. I've ran a few 11 second 1/4 miles north of 116mph and I'm not that good at launching, most 60' are in the 1.8 to 1.9 range. I also don't like tearing the car up so I'm not going to do any real hard launches - well except maybe a few LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0gw...ature=youtu.be