Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Confirmed: 2013's have different pistons and no oil squirters

Search this Thread

Old 3/14/12, 09:55 AM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Overboost
Calling those who claimed the 420hp bump was purely a tune or no improvement at all...
I'm still here. That piston does not add 8HP.
Old 3/14/12, 10:16 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mycroft

Nice to see you again. So, was the 8 HP gain purely hype?

The point is, the piston change was only a portion of things that allowed them to safely increase power output without harming durability.

I would guess the pistons aren't forged, but phosphate coated. Something else interesting, the 2013 GT and Boss have vents on their hood...coincidental? I think not.
Old 3/14/12, 11:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 99mstng

I think heat and piston design combined lead to the issues we saw. The #8 tends to run the hottest so if one piston is going to go that is usually the first.

It will be interesting to see what if any issues the 2013's will have and how well they will react to a tune/boost vs. the 11-12's.
Agreed. There just trying to alleviate all concerns. Some had 8 go due to heating issues and tuning so you could assume there just trying to take that risk away but majority of the 11-12s run great with tunes. Probably also related to the break in.
Old 3/14/12, 08:45 PM
Swamp Donkey Aficionado

No, that piston adds one horsepower. There are eight pistons in the 2013 Coyote, though, so... well, yeah...
Old 3/14/12, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by flySWA737
If the piston design was bad we would hear of random piston failures. Piston 8 failures (from what I understand) was from bad tuning due to knock sensors being disabled causing detonation. The random engine failures I hear of that are always "very" vague are probably just manufacturing defects which always happen.

No question is stupid. I actually think its very cool to see how engineering progresses and improves through each revision.
Originally Posted by 99mstng
1-not forged, different heat treatment/coating
2-my guess is yes, Ford saw a design flaw and corrected (at least they hope they did)
3-Has not been confirmed - piston part #'s didn't change until 2013 production began.
Originally Posted by MARZ
No, that piston adds one horsepower. There are eight pistons in the 2013 Coyote, though, so... well, yeah...
Thank you for your reply's
It's great to see a Mustang forum were the members are level headed and informative, I also like to see engineering improvements.
The 5.0 is one bad *** engine

MARZ,
That's some funny shiz
Old 3/15/12, 10:46 AM
GT Member

I dont complain much, car runs great, no mt82 issues, and I've put about 6k miles on the car since 08/2010. I've ran the car very hard almost weekly on sunny days. On the piston issue....Realistically they could have just said it was 8 more HP without changes but the new piston design is an area of concern with me. I'm an engineer but not a expert on engines but at the same time I deal with manufacturing and they have made very obvious engineering changes. Hard to say if it was cost cutting, fixing a real issue, or a combination of both. It wouldn't hurt for some of us to write Ford on this, carbon copies to local dealers, and MMFF/5.0 magazines. I want to know why. I don't expect anything but an answer and at this point I'm going to buy a new short lock to have ready for my blower. I'm more worried about my clutch going out at this point in time...drag racing starts soon.
Old 3/16/12, 09:21 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
So...somebody help me with my ignorance - what the heck is an oil squirter and what are the advantages/disadvantages of using those in a motor?
Old 3/16/12, 10:53 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by kylerohde
So...somebody help me with my ignorance - what the heck is an oil squirter and what are the advantages/disadvantages of using those in a motor?
Squirting oil under the pistons helps cool the pistons, which in turn helps reduce detonation. The Coyote V8 runs a very high 11:1 compression given that it can use 87 octane gas, so controlling detonation is important.
Old 3/16/12, 11:03 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian

Squirting oil under the pistons helps cool the pistons, which in turn helps reduce detonation. The Coyote V8 runs a very high 11:1 compression given that it can use 87 octane gas, so controlling detonation is important.
So why did they take them out?
Old 3/17/12, 06:07 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by kylerohde
So why did they take them out?
^^^^^Want to learn to 0.0 ^^^^^^
Old 3/17/12, 06:23 AM
GT Member

I wonder if the oil squirters added to the pcv blowby and increased oil consumption.
Ford has replaced more than its share of engines due to folks running them low on oil.
Old 3/17/12, 06:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something else interesting, the 2013 GT and Boss have vents on their hood...coincidental? I think not.
Good catch I didn't even think of that.
Old 3/17/12, 10:22 AM
RTD
GT Member

Nope, but deleting the oil squirters did. Eliminating the excess windage that resulted from the squirters is the source of the 8hp gain. I just hope it didn't come at the expense of longevity.
Old 3/19/12, 10:40 AM

The 5.0 in the 11-12 mustang has already proven it makes more than 412hp at the crank. Its underrated from the factory. Maybe ford bumped the claimed hp up to 420 to make it sound like they made an improvement...help sell more vehicles.

It will be interesting to see a stock 11-12 on a dyno the same day as a 13. I bet there is less than 8hp difference.
Old 3/19/12, 01:44 PM
V6 Member

The point is, the piston change was only a portion of things that allowed them to safely increase power output without harming durability.

I would guess the pistons aren't forged, but phosphate coated. Something else interesting, the 2013 GT and Boss have vents on their hood...coincidental? I think not.
Numbers on ford.com website ,for mustang specs, reads to me that power increase is from tuning changes.....

All 5.0's.....2011-13 have same rated power,402 hp on regular fuel....extra 8 hp is with premium fuel only....

Internal friction reductions wouldnt result in this...
Old 3/19/12, 02:26 PM
Currently a Corvette Owner!

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
If already posted, sorry, but here's two quotes published today, may shed some light, or may lead to more confusion!
-------------------
3/19/2012 - Car and Driver, "Ford has found eight more ponies in the 5.0-liter V-8, achieved by applying Boss 302 piston coatings and discontinuing the oil squirts formerly cooling the undersides of the pistons, a function the engineers now believe to be unnecessary based on experience with the 5.0".
-------------------
3/19/2012 - Motor Trend, "Let's start with those eight extra horses, which nobody was clamoring for, but are welcome just the same. They were found in Boss 302-inspired calibration changes like making the spark retard a bit less conservative and deleting the oil-squirters that cooled the pistons but were deemed superfluous and a source of windage losses".
-------------------
Old 3/19/12, 02:54 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kws6000

Numbers on ford.com website ,for mustang specs, reads to me that power increase is from tuning changes.....

All 5.0's.....2011-13 have same rated power,402 hp on regular fuel....extra 8 hp is with premium fuel only....

Internal friction reductions wouldnt result in this...
Hey, look - another "expert". Please take a second to read the entire thread. It has already been explained in depth.
Old 3/22/12, 04:14 PM

I noticed this right away.

Something I noted and so did my friends when I first got my 5.0. The heat that poured from under the car was incredible. I noticed it and it was commented on by anyone we stood near the car while it was idling. That played a big part in me deciding on the Steeda hood when I put a new hood on my car. It is designed to vent that heat out. It really helped. I don't notice the heat bellowing out from underneath any longer. You can look over the hood now while idling and see the heat waves coming from the vent.
Old 3/23/12, 04:05 PM

I just did a search on ford parts.com. I compared the piston they called out for my 2012 GT 1/12 build date) to the 2013 piston. They are both calling for the same part number, 6108. Not sure if this helps clear anything up, but maybe it can point us in a direction.
Old 3/23/12, 04:25 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by My2012GT
I just did a search on ford parts.com. I compared the piston they called out for my 2012 GT 1/12 build date) to the 2013 piston. They are both calling for the same part number, 6108. Not sure if this helps clear anything up, but maybe it can point us in a direction.
6108F or 6108FC? See the pics at the beginning of the thread.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: 2013's have different pistons and no oil squirters