5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

comparison of tuners

Search this Thread

Old 1/13/12, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
comparison of tuners

I'd like to get a tune for my Lava Red GT. Nothing too radical just a little more. I've read a lot of the posts about tuners but I haven't really seen any pro vs con comparison of them all. I've read many good things about Bama through AM. I'm also considering JDM. At this point I'm open to any thoughts you guys have.
Old 1/13/12, 11:26 AM

Bama gives you unlimited changes and offers a warranty Jon Lund is great to but I think he charges for any mod changes for his tunes.
Old 1/13/12, 04:18 PM
Team Mustang Source

I think Steeda is the best, but to be fair all the major players put out a good tune. Even better if you bring your car to their shop and have it dyno tuned.
Old 1/13/12, 05:03 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you're worried about warranty then get a ProCal tune. Can be installed at your dealership. Otherwise, I'd look at Jon Lund or BBR.
Old 1/13/12, 07:36 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Big Poppa
I think Steeda is the best, but to be fair all the major players put out a good tune. Even better if you bring your car to their shop and have it dyno tuned.
Agree I love steeda's tune also.
Old 1/13/12, 07:54 PM

If ur only doing a tune with no other mods then any of the major tuners would work. Bama does offer a warranty though.
Old 1/13/12, 09:16 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on Bama
Great customer service
Fast turn around times
Tunes for life
Warranty for #8
3 different tunes
Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old 1/14/12, 07:40 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 12lavaredgt
I'd like to get a tune for my Lava Red GT. Nothing too radical just a little more. I've read a lot of the posts about tuners but I haven't really seen any pro vs con comparison of them all. I've read many good things about Bama through AM. I'm also considering JDM. At this point I'm open to any thoughts you guys have.
Jim, as you're in Bonney Lake, WA, I would recommend visiting The Mustang Shop (TMS) in Auburn, WA. They do custom dyno tuning and have an awesome reputation in the Seattle area. They did the tuning for my supercharged '07 Mustang GT. I bought my SCT tuner from them last year for my '11 GT, but I haven't had the '11 on the dyno (yet). I have several friends running TMS custom tunes that are running awesome times in the 1/4 mile with safe tunes.

Did you happen to buy your Lava Red GT at Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent? Their service department is very willing and able to do aftermarket work if you ever decide to modify your GT. TMS does aftermarket installs, as well.
Old 1/14/12, 03:03 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by Five Oh Brian
Jim, as you're in Bonney Lake, WA, I would recommend visiting The Mustang Shop (TMS) in Auburn, WA. They do custom dyno tuning and have an awesome reputation in the Seattle area. They did the tuning for my supercharged '07 Mustang GT. I bought my SCT tuner from them last year for my '11 GT, but I haven't had the '11 on the dyno (yet). I have several friends running TMS custom tunes that are running awesome times in the 1/4 mile with safe tunes.

Did you happen to buy your Lava Red GT at Bowen Scarff Ford in Kent? Their service department is very willing and able to do aftermarket work if you ever decide to modify your GT. TMS does aftermarket installs, as well.
+1 I had my small mods done at Bowen Scarff last year. Granted, I've only done small OEM things (GT500 pieces, Boss & CS front fascia). I'm going back to them again when I get my next round of mods ready.

What are the advantages of a custom dyno tune vs say, a packaged tune from Steeda/Bama/etc? I'm guessing it's because every motor is going to run a bit different. Driver habits, region/climate influences, available fuel, and the like.
Old 1/14/12, 04:31 PM
GT Member

Bama tuned my 2010 before I had the blower, and JDM dyno tuned the car after I added the roush M90. Both were great tunes, but JDM had a FAR FAR FAR better auto trans tune. Jim Sr. knows how to tune that trans PERFECT.

Both had great customer service, and I bothered Jim Jr. (answers the phone when you call) with a ton of questions and he always gave me the best answer. I never had a problem with BAMA and every tune they ever sent me was perfect the first time around.

I can only speak for JDM and BAMA personally since they are the only 2 I have used, but for the 5.0's the popular ones seem to be BBR, AMAZON, JMS, LUND, BAMA, VMP, and JDM. The sales manager at my dealership had his 5.0 tuned by JDM and he has a steeda cai, boss intake, and full exhaust.
Old 1/14/12, 06:50 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hands down Bama tuner from American Musscle. $ 379.00 includes free tunes for life, delivery and awesome customer service. They stand behind there tune. They stand behind that their tune will not cause failure to your car.
Old 1/14/12, 08:12 PM
GT Member

I got a tune from mike wilson at am and tune only stock tires 11 gt a6 and went 11.95@ 117.38. nough said.
Old 1/14/12, 08:18 PM
GTR Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue
Hands down Bama tuner from American Musscle. $ 379.00 includes free tunes for life, delivery and awesome customer service. They stand behind there tune. They stand behind that their tune will not cause failure to your car.
What he said but if youve got the AM discount from chris......... 357$ (:
Old 1/14/12, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Very happy with Bama, but custom on a dyno with a knowledgeable shop is best.
Old 1/14/12, 11:08 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10

I wish I knew about the discount. How does one get the Chris discount? Of course I already have tuner. Just curious.
Old 1/14/12, 11:38 PM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

I wish I knew about the discount. How does one get the Chris discount? Of course I already have tuner. Just curious.
I heard about it soon as I joined this website u get 40 posts and message Chris rose I think with AM and he gives u a discount code, not a whole lot but every bit counts.
Old 1/15/12, 12:16 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverSkoundrel10

I got mine last summer when they had a sale...I got $50 off anything over $350 so I used it on that. I couldn't pass it up.
Old 1/15/12, 07:26 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 12lavaredgt
Jim Sr. Is one of the best. He tuned my Lightning for years. He tunes a lot of very fast Mustangs.
Old 1/15/12, 07:59 AM
MJN
GT Member

None of you really mention Livernois, any reasons why good or bad?
Old 1/15/12, 08:31 AM
GTR Member

Originally Posted by Hytek

I got mine last summer when they had a sale...I got $50 off anything over $350 so I used it on that. I couldn't pass it up.
Nice u got a better deal, ive never seen the tuners on sale, I'm sure now that ive said that and bought 1 they will tho.

Quick Reply: comparison of tuners