Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Catch can or breathers???

Search this Thread

Old 6/28/14, 05:35 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rynaldo
So catch can???

Moroso
Steeda

One on passenger side? Or one on each?

Or get a decent breather set???

What about keeping our warranties intact if we install them???

Thanks guys!
I have the passenger side Moroso small body separator which holds 3.0 ounces of oil and is the ideal capacity for my application. To compare, my former V6 JLT held 1.5 ounces and the large body Moroso holds a whopping 5.0 ounces. Since none of the brands can claim 100% efficiency, select the one you like best and call it good. I don’t know about voiding the Ford warranty? I have the Roush powertrain warranty and having a separator installed does not void it.
Attached Thumbnails Catch can or breathers???-1.jpg  
Old 7/6/14, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where did you get this set from? i have looked at many diff sites and bobs is highly recomended but i love the look of the breathers and the stainless braided lines
Old 7/10/14, 03:45 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5
Sir... I have a Bob's can right now, and used their basic hoses and clamps. I would like to use SS lines just like yours, to go on to the Bob's fitting or anodized fittings, and into the pcv connector. Would these parts you have above work for my application?
Sorry for late reply. the AN10 should work, but I would ask bob what AN size his kit uses to be sure. There is a difference with diameter between AN10 and AN8.
Old 7/11/14, 12:50 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Just installed this yesterday. Bobs ultimate kit with heat shrink hose clamps.

imgurl

images upload

Last edited by imeyers302; 7/11/14 at 01:33 PM.
Old 7/12/14, 07:33 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
In hind sight, I should have purchased Bobs ultimate kit... When the standard kit arrived, I didn't like the looks of it, and decided I would modify it.

Parts ended up being about $90.... again pointing in the direction: I should have bought the ultimate kit (or returned the standard kit in exchange for the ultimate kit.).

I still haven't mounted the oil catch can, as I ordered new PCV connectors with Ford, as I wanted to be able to use the old hose if needed.

Anyhow this is how it looks.
Attached Thumbnails Catch can or breathers???-img_2715.jpg   Catch can or breathers???-img_2718.jpg  
Old 7/12/14, 08:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a little bit off-topic but, I was thinking if ordering some generic EBay type stainless steel type braided hoses made for engine appearance.
The kit includes
1 X 3.00 ft. Vacuum Line with 4 Heat-Shielded Ends
1 X 3.00 ft. Fuel Line with 4 Polished Hose Ends
1 X 12.00 ft. Heater Hose with 4 Polished Hose Ends
1 X 4.50 ft. Radiator Hose with 2 Polished Hose Ends

Pairing that with a bobs ultimate catch can. I assume that comes with stainless braided lines as well?

I haven't even researched it enough to see if these lines will fit my car. I'm not too sure what lines I can replace.

Again, it's only for aesthetics and whatever minor safety upgrades these will provide.

All feedback and Criticism is welcome.

Regards,
Joe
Old 7/12/14, 08:15 PM
Bullitt Member

I contemplated getting a stainless steel hose and fittings. However: braided stainless steel is a pain in the neck to maintain....so I went with black braided hose.

Black is much easier.

my 2 cts.
Old 7/12/14, 08:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Plim
I contemplated getting a stainless steel hose and fittings. However: braided stainless steel is a pain in the neck to maintain....so I went with black braided hose. Black is much easier. my 2 cts.
I appreciate the knowledge. If all it requires is a hot soapy wash once a month and some stainless steel polish hopefully it will be worth the risk.
I just have no idea about how difficult or labour intensive it is.
Old 7/12/14, 08:40 PM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Bobs Ultimate kit isn't SS lines. It's a fabric weave. Very nice looking though.
Old 7/13/14, 07:26 AM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
In hind sight, I should have purchased Bobs ultimate kit... When the standard kit arrived, I didn't like the looks of it, and decided I would modify it. Parts ended up being about $90.... again pointing in the direction: I should have bought the ultimate kit (or returned the standard kit in exchange for the ultimate kit.). I still haven't mounted the oil catch can, as I ordered new PCV connectors with Ford, as I wanted to be able to use the old hose if needed. Anyhow this is how it looks.
Pascal... Same boat as you. I should have gone with the ultimate. I hate the rubber hoses and despise the clamps.

Can you please walk me through all the parts you got to change it out. The fittings, clamps, and hose? I don't care about the cost...I'll have to do this anyways. Aren't the fittings an10?
Old 7/13/14, 09:44 AM
Cobra Member

Pascal... Same boat as you. I should have gone with the ultimate. I hate the rubber hoses and despise the clamps. Can you please walk me through all the parts you got to change it out. The fittings, clamps, and hose? I don't care about the cost...I'll have to do this anyways. Aren't the fittings an10?
Has anyone just called bobs and asked how much an upgrade would be? I'm sure it'd be similar cost but all the exact parts needed.
Old 7/13/14, 11:00 AM
Bullitt Member

Burton, the most important part is the part that connects to the can itself.
It is a straight 3/8" pipe to AN-10 adapter. They go for about $6 a piece.http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku...16-10-06-2.asp
then you have the choice on how to connect the hose. You can add AN-10 connectors, or use the ones I did: -10 straight AN/JIC hose end push lock. http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/rhp-2000-10-2.asp. Once the hose is on, it is sealed and can only be cut off. No need for hose clamps. Maybe you can add some shrink wrap for the finishing touch.

The braided hose that goes with it is: http://www.prostreetonline.com/pnsku/rhp-230-10-1.asp

The hose finisher I purchased is one like this in black: http://www.prostreetonline.com/x/red...-finishers.asp I intend to use this on the PCV side.

Not sure how it will finally look, but like I said: the main part is the straight 3/8" pipe to AN-10 adapter. From there your options are wide open.

I didn't have much going on yesterday, and I didn't want to order anything only and have to wait for things, so I went on a hunt for the parts in and around San Jose. The typical suspects like O'Reilly, Autozone, NAPA etc. didn't carry this stuff. And I was ultimately directed to a shop, where the guy just looked at the catch can and said: "oh, you need a 3/8" pipe to AN-10 adapter", and he didn't have to measure or anything. And he was actually right ! I went to Winchester Auto Campbell in San Jose http://www.winchesterauto.com

Like I said in an earlier post. I have not been able to mount it yet, as I didn't want to destroy the original hose. I'm waiting on the connectors from Ford for the PCV side. So I'm not sure about the hose finisher part. If that doesn't fit, I would still need the shrink wrap hose clamp, as I really hate the sight of hose clamps

.... if you go on Bob's website, you'll see all the parts you need. He sells them separate :-) http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Fittings-Hose_c10.htm
and when you price everything together, the total is just about the same.
Old 7/13/14, 11:39 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Pascal... Same boat as you. I should have gone with the ultimate. I hate the rubber hoses and despise the clamps. Can you please walk me through all the parts you got to change it out. The fittings, clamps, and hose? I don't care about the cost...I'll have to do this anyways. Aren't the fittings an10?
I cheaped out to have the protection early, but I always planned to upgrade later haha
Old 7/15/14, 10:06 PM
Bullitt Member

So I got the PCV connectors from Ford (so I don't ruin the original hose).

Well, turns out that the hose finisher I purchased will not fit over the connector!
I might have to bring it back or modify it (or just use the shrink wrap, which also looks good).

sometime this week, when I have time, I'll mount everything.
Attached Thumbnails Catch can or breathers???-img_2719.jpg  
Old 7/20/14, 01:55 PM
Bullitt Member

Modified and mounted

So I finally was able to modify the standard Bobs to a semi Ultimate Bob's, and mount the thing in my car. Here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails Catch can or breathers???-img_2754.jpg   Catch can or breathers???-img_2755.jpg   Catch can or breathers???-img_2756.jpg   Catch can or breathers???-img_2758.jpg   Catch can or breathers???-img_2759.jpg  

Old 7/20/14, 02:45 PM
Cobra Member

Looks awesome Pascal!
Old 7/20/14, 08:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by typesredline
Looks awesome Pascal!
Thanks!
It looks better than the original Bob's, but I just should have gotten the Ultimate Bob's to begin with. Could have saved me a lot of time.
Old 7/20/14, 09:32 PM
I Have No Life

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts
So I finally was able to modify the standard Bobs to a semi Ultimate Bob's, and mount the thing in my car. Here are some pics.
I need to do this as well, pascal. I know you gave me a list of parts, but can you please pm it to me including the vendor?

Looks great buddy. Thanks again.
Old 7/20/14, 09:47 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
I need to do this as well, pascal. I know you gave me a list of parts, but can you please pm it to me including the vendor? Looks great buddy. Thanks again.
Can I get in on that PM action as well? Or just text me haha
Old 7/20/14, 10:21 PM
Bullitt Member

Ok for everyone this is what I used. The Ultimate from Bob's uses different connectors!

Two RHP 816-10-06-2 straight 3/8" pipe to AN-10 adapter
Two RHP 2000-10-2 -10 straight AN/JIC hose end push lock
One RHP 230-10-6 -10 PRO SERIES BLACK 230 S (braided hose 6ft)
I think you can also go by RHP 230-10-3 which would be a length of 3ft braided hose (and half the cost)
Forget about the Hose Finisher (Part# RHP 993-10-2), it will not fit! I ended up using the shrink-wrap instead.

I purchased at www.winchesterauto.com (except I went to one of their stores here locally in Silicon Valley)

The shrink-wrap I purchased at HarborFreightTools. http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece...ment-9639.html
It comes is a package with different boxes, containing different sizes. one of the sizes is 1”. If you cut of the length you need, and turn it inside out, you won’t see any of the letters on the shrink wrap once you use it.

Last edited by Plim; 7/20/14 at 10:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Catch can or breathers???