Notices
5.0L GT Modifications Placeholder for future motor based GT's modifications.

Catch can or breathers???

Search this Thread

Old 6/7/14, 12:27 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I am thinking:

Regular bobs can
Moroso can
Or a decent breather set

Will definitely do one... So if I get a can, either one I choose should be installed on the passenger side?
Old 6/7/14, 02:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I know this topic has been covered before... But I would never consider the option of two breathers. Just my two cents but the PCV system is there for Longevity of the engine. Removing it will remove all of the benefits of having a PCV system. It can increase crank case pressure and will not aid in removal of fuel vapors in the engine oil. Can lead to sludge build up and premature gasket failure. I do not remember the exact numbers... But one of the things I learned in tech school was that when PCV systems were introduced in the 60's engine life nearly doubled. I think a catch can however has actual benefits so I would go that route personally.
Old 6/7/14, 03:42 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by 14Glassback
I know this topic has been covered before... But I would never consider the option of two breathers. Just my two cents but the PCV system is there for Longevity of the engine. Removing it will remove all of the benefits of having a PCV system. It can increase crank case pressure and will not aid in removal of fuel vapors in the engine oil. Can lead to sludge build up and premature gasket failure. I do not remember the exact numbers... But one of the things I learned in tech school was that when PCV systems were introduced in the 60's engine life nearly doubled. I think a catch can however has actual benefits so I would go that route personally.
I will definitely keep that in mind... Thanks!
Old 6/7/14, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by KushBandit
No one in this thread has a 3.7 except you, so I'm unsure why you bring up that motor. Not trying to be a jerk, but this is the 5.0 section. The 5.0 is known to spit oil back into the Intake Manifold. It doesn't take some hard driving to do that, the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system does that on its own. That oil then lowers the fuels Octane, and you get pre-detonation. It's a necessity for these coyote motors, if you want to take care of it that is.
Oops! I didn't notice that part (5.0 Mods) in the list. **** newbies...
Old 6/8/14, 12:56 AM

My catch can set up.

Old 6/8/14, 07:31 AM
Cobra Member

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr302Coyote
My catch can set up.
Wow. I gotta say at first I was like, oh god! The engine bay is so loud and tacky. But then I gave it a second, and I love it!

Nice can set up too.
Old 6/8/14, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by typesredline
Wow. I gotta say at first I was like, oh god! The engine bay is so loud and tacky. But then I gave it a second, and I love it!

Nice can set up too.
It's not for everyone lol. I wanted original. And so I went with it. My friend does Hydro dipping and did it all for me.
Old 6/9/14, 01:28 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So what I'm gathering is... besides polluting our good earth as we know it, running an open filter does NOT have any drawbacks. From my research vacuum is NOT needed.

Correct me if I'm wrong please.
I'm planning on just running two open filters and cleaning them every so often. Like what was said before, then ZERO chance of oil in the intake assembly.
Old 6/9/14, 01:35 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nothing like sitting in hot summer traffic with your A/C pulling that breather smell into your cabin.
Old 6/9/14, 01:37 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
This is what Bob's Autosport told me..
Attached Thumbnails Catch can or breathers???-image-3009303104.jpg  
Old 6/9/14, 03:29 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco
Nothing like sitting in hot summer traffic with your A/C pulling that breather smell into your cabin.
Lol now that is a good point. Houston Traffic... gotta love it.
Old 6/9/14, 04:00 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Again... Straight from my old Automotive Text Book... DO NOT REMOVE YOUR PCV VALVE!!!
Attached Images    
Old 6/9/14, 06:46 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by laserred38
This is what Bob's Autosport told me..
Was that email from Steve? Same thing he told me. Just cosmetic differences.

I actually had a change of heart on the color. They were kind enough to swap my brushed to matte black. Both look amazing, but the powder coated matte does seem more durable.
Old 6/9/14, 06:56 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Krohn
So what I'm gathering is... besides polluting our good earth as we know it, running an open filter does NOT have any drawbacks. From my research vacuum is NOT needed. Correct me if I'm wrong please. I'm planning on just running two open filters and cleaning them every so often. Like what was said before, then ZERO chance of oil in the intake assembly.
The vacuum IS needed to balance the pressure in the crank case. And if you get a quality can like bob's there still will be ZERO oil getting through.
Old 6/9/14, 08:19 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I came across a couple of threads on a F150 forum that talked about catch cans for the 5.0 in the trucks and they were quite interesting. One thread was comparing a UPR can to a RX brand can. It talks about some of the improvements that UPR has designed for their cans and that can be added to some of their older cans.

I can't remember if I can post links to other forums so if anyone wants the links, PM me or tell me that it is okay to post the links and I will. One of the guys on there I guess works for the company that makes the RX can and claims they have tested pretty much all the cans on the market against theirs and that most cans out there still let oil through to the intake. I made mention that I ran the Bob's can and he said it works about the same as all of the rest, which means not very good. It does have me second guessing what I am running. The RX vs the UPR can test that one guy is doing is pretty eye opening.

Wayne
Old 6/9/14, 08:37 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I saw that some other people have posted links to other forums so I will post the ones I was talking about above.
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0l-oil-catch-can-112117/
http://www.f150forum.com/f70/5-0-upr...s-test-254381/

The first link is pretty long and the last few pages has more recent info. The second link is all pretty recent and has a lot of info from the guy who talks about the RX can.
Old 6/9/14, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 70monte
I came across a couple of threads on a F150 forum that talked about catch cans for the 5.0 in the trucks and they were quite interesting. One thread was comparing a UPR can to a RX brand can. It talks about some of the improvements that UPR has designed for their cans and that can be added to some of their older cans. I can't remember if I can post links to other forums so if anyone wants the links, PM me or tell me that it is okay to post the links and I will. One of the guys on there I guess works for the company that makes the RX can and claims they have tested pretty much all the cans on the market against theirs and that most cans out there still let oil through to the intake. I made mention that I ran the Bob's can and he said it works about the same as all of the rest, which means not very good. It does have me second guessing what I am running. The RX vs the UPR can test that one guy is doing is pretty eye opening. Wayne
We know for a fact that this is BS. Bobs has been proven time and time again to be significantly better than JLT for example. That's far from "same as all the rest". Also how can you put a stamp of "catches 95% of the oil" out there like that? There is no measurable way you can tell how much is getting by to be able to assign a percentage to it. Even lining up cans consecutively doesn't tell the whole story because the second can is always dealing with a different density and temp of vapor.

Honestly it sounds like this guy wants to sell catch cans. How many people are really going to buy more than one and test it to substantiate his claims? Not many. So as long as he is confident and acts like he has nothing to hide, he will sell units. Plus he is on an f150 forum, full of NON motor and performance enthusiasts. Why don't we see him here or other mustang forums??? Probably bc he'd get called on his smoke and mirrors.
Old 6/9/14, 10:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by typesredline
Was that email from Steve? Same thing he told me. Just cosmetic differences. I actually had a change of heart on the color. They were kind enough to swap my brushed to matte black. Both look amazing, but the powder coated matte does seem more durable.
Yep, from Steve. I was between brushed and matte black. I'm getting matte black lol
Old 6/10/14, 07:43 AM
GT Member

14Glassback.....LOL straight from the MANUAL

Running a breather system is nothing new. With new synthetic oils, sludge build up is NOT an issue. Even the best "catch can" systems, they CAN let some blow by gasses into your intake thus decreasing your octane level. Oil in your intake can cause other issues as well. Re-typing same BS over and over about sludge and seals. Breathers are NOT as environmentally correct, but they have more positive effects on your motor than negative. No way am I sucking oil into my intake while FI.
Old 6/10/14, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deerslayer
14Glassback.....LOL straight from the MANUAL

Running a breather system is nothing new. With new synthetic oils, sludge build up is NOT an issue. Even the best "catch can" systems, they CAN let some blow by gasses into your intake thus decreasing your octane level. Oil in your intake can cause other issues as well. Re-typing same BS over and over about sludge and seals. Breathers are NOT as environmentally correct, but they have more positive effects on your motor than negative. No way am I sucking oil into my intake while FI.
Spot on!

Quick Reply: Catch can or breathers???